www.illegalcurve.com
Lightning post-game audio

Lightning-bench-April-16-2013-300x200.jpg

Coach Cooper, Stamkos and St. Louis.

To listen click here.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm seriously not getting the Bishop hate. The dude has been rock solid. He has excellent rebound control, great positioning and great reflexes. He's got a big five-hole, but that's hardly surprising, and I'll forgive him a few of those considering the ridiculous saves he makes on a nightly basis.

Look at tonight. 33 saves on 36 shots. Those are good numbers. And he passes the eyeball test with flying colors, plus is a way better puck-handler than anyone else we have back there. I was not a huge fan of the trade initially, but now, I love it.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I'm seriously not getting the Bishop hate. The dude has been rock solid. He has excellent rebound control, great positioning and great reflexes. He's got a big five-hole, but that's hardly surprising, and I'll forgive him a few of those considering the ridiculous saves he makes on a nightly basis.

Look at tonight. 33 saves on 36 shots. Those are good numbers. And he passes the eyeball test with flying colors, plus is a way better puck-handler than anyone else we have back there. I was not a huge fan of the trade initially, but now, I love it.

So as long as he makes a highlight reel type save in a game, you'll forgive the completely unacceptable goals he is letting in like two of the three tonight?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
So as long as he makes a highlight reel type save in a game, you'll forgive the completely unacceptable goals he is letting in like two of the three tonight?

The first goal was kinda weak, but that was it. The second goal he stood no chance on, every goalie goes into desperation mode there and he just didn't get the lucky save. The third goal may have been deflected and regardless was a laser to the top right corner. The shootout goals were both 5hole but remember we also scored 0 goals. Gotta give the guy some help too.

And he made several great saves to keep us in the game. This game is not his fault. If we blame him then we have to blame pretty much everyone else as well for **** play at some point along with turnovers and missed scoring chances (Tyrell and Stamkos). Our PP was atrocious, our PK was just floating around. He didn't have much help.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
The first goal was kinda weak, but that was it. The second goal he stood no chance on, every goalie goes into desperation mode there and he just didn't get the lucky save. The third goal may have been deflected and regardless was a laser to the top right corner. The shootout goals were both 5hole but remember we also scored 0 goals. Gotta give the guy some help too.

And he made several great saves to keep us in the game. This game is not his fault. If we blame him then we have to blame pretty much everyone else as well for **** play at some point along with turnovers and missed scoring chances (Tyrell and Stamkos). Our PP was atrocious, our PK was just floating around. He didn't have much help.

The first goal was beyond terrible. The third goal is unacceptable from that angle. And I don't care about the skills competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The first goal was beyond terrible. The third goal is unacceptable from that angle. And I don't care about the skills competition.

You make it sound like he shot it along the goal line from the boards. It was 10-15 feet away from the net in the inner part of the left circle. He made a toe drag move inside and rocketed a puck far side high. That's what happens when you shoot high, pucks go in. That shot goes in on nearly any goaltender in the league. Not sure what you're expecting from a developing goalie that is what, 26?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I don't like the Bishop hate as well, but I really really hope SY understands that Frantz damages every goalie, of course Bishop would not make 45 save shutouts every game, but the first would never go in in Ottowa and Frantz is just garbage. But for some reason I'm really not sure if SY will sign a new one :help:.
Just as a numbers game: The D gave Bishop just 1!!!!! game under 30 shoots against so far, while Lindbäck got under 30 on a regular basis. I really think if we would limit the shoots to 25 or 28, we would get 1 goal less per game. Every shoot on goal is a scoring chance and every once in a while a week one will get in or being deflected. So I can't blame Bishop. The D doesn't do their job and we can't expect great/ superb games from Bishop every night. And if he gets in 3 while still having a save% of nearly .92 I am absolutly okay with it. This team should be able to outscore such a team anyways.

And some random things:
I am really exited to see what Cooper can do with a full training camp. This team shows some really exciting plays every game and than makes some really dumb plays in the next second. And I think overall this team is already better under Cooper than under Boucher so I totally expect Cooper to do some magic this summer and if you look at his track record, the first year was never as good as the second year.
What do you guys think of Labrie, is it just a "hot streak" or is he really developing into a solid 4th liner for us ? I really hope Cooper gives him as much ice time than tonight for the last few games and we can see what he really brings. Anyways I hope and expect him to be rsigned, at least as #13 and he really really deserves it.

Pointerspoint

socktaper
Mar 23, 2013
Lake County
I don't like the Bishop hate as well, but I really really hope SY understands that Frantz damages every goalie, of course Bishop would not make 45 save shutouts every game, but the first would never go in in Ottowa and Frantz is just garbage. But for some reason I'm really not sure if SY will sign a new one :help:.
Just as a numbers game: The D gave Bishop just 1!!!!! game under 30 shoots against so far, while Lindbäck got under 30 on a regular basis. I really think if we would limit the shoots to 25 or 28, we would get 1 goal less per game. Every shoot on goal is a scoring chance and every once in a while a week one will get in or being deflected. So I can't blame Bishop. The D doesn't do their job and we can't expect great/ superb games from Bishop every night. And if he gets in 3 while still having a save% of nearly .92 I am absolutly okay with it. This team should be able to outscore such a team anyways.

And some random things:
I am really exited to see what Cooper can do with a full training camp.

^^^^This.

I honestly don't get the Bishop hate either but it seems to mostly be coming from one poster who, every time I read their posts, makes me think I'm back on the FB page. Not naming any names. Just saying.

I really don't think we can go by much of anything right now, these games are meaningless. I do so enjoy reading everyone's posts during the GDTs though. Keeps me lol'ing during the game so thanks. :handclap:

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
You make it sound like he shot it along the goal line from the boards. It was 10-15 feet away from the net in the inner part of the left circle. He made a toe drag move inside and rocketed a puck far side high. That's what happens when you shoot high, pucks go in. That shot goes in on nearly any goaltender in the league. Not sure what you're expecting from a developing goalie that is what, 26?

See the problem is, watching the Lightning for so long has conditioned you to believe what you wrote above to be true. When it's the furthest thing from it.

He didnt even finish his toe drag, he was on his true wing which puts the puck at a bad angle, and it wasnt even a rocket of a shot. It was a bad goal. Most goalies stop that.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
^^^^This.

I honestly don't get the Bishop hate either but it seems to mostly be coming from one poster who, every time I read their posts, makes me think I'm back on the FB page. Not naming any names. Just saying.

I really don't think we can go by much of anything right now, these games are meaningless. I do so enjoy reading everyone's posts during the GDTs though. Keeps me lol'ing during the game so thanks. :handclap:

Oooo oooo who is it I wonder?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
See the problem is, watching the Lightning for so long has conditioned you to believe what you wrote above to be true. When it's the furthest thing from it.

He didnt even finish his toe drag, he was on his true wing which puts the puck at a bad angle, and it wasnt even a rocket of a shot. It was a bad goal. Most goalies stop that.

I think it's the other way around, really. I think you're so tired of seeing the team **** the bed and getting unproven backups that you are just overly critical of everything.

By the way, he did finish the toe drag, he just turned the finishing movement into a shot.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I think it's the other way around, really. I think you're so tired of seeing the team **** the bed and getting unproven backups that you are just overly critical of everything.

By the way, he did finish the toe drag, he just turned the finishing movement into a shot.

Ben Bishop will be a weak #1 or a back up. BAD TRADE.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
You may be right, only one way to find out

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I said it was a bad move at the time and I stick to it. The guy has no resume yet, it was a panic move by Yzerman, he should of waited till the off season to get a proven goaltender using our surplus of skilled players to do so. Lindback will be the better goalie he has less obvious flaws than Bishop.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I said it was a bad move at the time and I stick to it. The guy has no resume yet, it was a panic move by Yzerman, he should of waited till the off season to get a proven goaltender using our surplus of skilled players to do so. Lindback will be the better goalie he has less obvious flaws than Bishop.

I'm not so sure about that. They both have flaws they need to work out but I think Bishop is a bit more polished right now.

I was one of the ones who hated the trade at the time and I'm still not sure how to feel about it, but Bishop's potential is undeniable.

ArmchairGoalie

May 18, 2011
Largo, FL

Not sure I can agree with you on this. Lindback flops way too much in net for me. Bishop seems to be in better positions, handles the puck better, seems more calm in net.

Both can stand to work on guarding five hole and tracking the puck better in traffic, but I think as of right now, Bishop seems more "polished".

EDIT: Looks like MattM92 beat me to the word "polished". Darn!! :)

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Not sure I can agree with you on this. Lindback flops way too much in net for me. Bishop seems to be in better positions, handles the puck better, seems more calm in net.

Both can stand to work on guarding five hole and tracking the puck better in traffic, but I think as of right now, Bishop seems more "polished".

EDIT: Looks like MattM92 beat me to the word "polished". Darn!! :)

;)

Glad to see you agree though :)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He won't say it, but left shoulder injured RT @tblightning491: @erlendssonTBO Any ideas why Stamkos has been struggling so much lately?

As speculated by some here.

Explains lack of shooting and perimeter play.

Was it left shoulder last year too?

Hopefully isn't not something serious like torn labrum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->