GDT: 4/14/18 - 3:00PM EDT - #2WC New Jersey VS #1AT Tampa Bay [ECQF GAME 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Stamkos is a factor as is kucherov top d men play vs them which opens up guys like Miller, point, Johnson and palat. That’s the norm with teams in cups runs is those depth guys step up more then the stars
It’s great to have so much depth. Just look at NJ. Who outside of Hall and his line is even a serious threat to us? We’re rolling three dangerous lines and the 4th still is a threat with Kunitz, Paq and potentially Conacher in game 3.

#stacked

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I thought Stamkos has been fine, but the top line just hasn't really jelled so far.

Kucherov really hasn't been great either but has 4 points in 2 games. Basically this - we're owning the Devils with our best players being kinda meh. Imagine when they actually turn it on.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
Agree, if the top line can really start producing, we will be really hard to beat even when we take the foot off of the gas pedal. Kuch's 2 goals were nice but not the kind I'm looking for from him. Him and Stamkos need to pick it up however way they can to really make it hard for teams to beat us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I thought Stamkos has been fine, but the top line just hasn't really jelled so far.

Kucherov really hasn't been great either but has 4 points in 2 games. Basically this - we're owning the Devils with our best players being kinda meh. Imagine when they actually turn it on.

Kucherov has had great "moments" (the pass to Killorn; the move on the empty netter), but hasn't really been consistently dangerous. He's making a lot of soft plays right now.

I don't think Stamkos has been bad, but he also hasn't been overly dangerous.

That said, if the two teams' top lines can just cancel each other out, we probably won't have a lot of trouble. Our bottom three lines have all been excellent.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
There's nothing wrong with Stammer. He just tightens up when the playoffs roll around. You can see it in his passes. Looks like Miller does too. This is the first time I've seen it from Kuch, too, but he looks good to go now.

It's the playoffs. Lotta pressure and expectations this year. Guys have some nerves. That line's playing well defensively at least. They'll get there.

Reactions: Lightning1995

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There's nothing wrong with Stammer. He just tightens up when the playoffs roll around. You can see it in his passes. Looks like Miller does too. This is the first time I've seen it from Kuch, too, but he looks good to go now.

It's the playoffs. Lotta pressure and expectations this year. Guys have some nerves. That line's playing well defensively at least. They'll get there.

I don't see it with Miller. If anything, he's just picked up the physicality. Neither of his linemates have been all that consistent, but Miller himself looks fine to me.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I don't see it with Miller. If anything, he's just picked up the physicality. Neither of his linemates have been all that consistent, but Miller himself looks fine to me.
Miller's looked a little nervy to me. Not bad by any stretch, but again, it's the passing. Making short, overly-safe passes, in his case (as opposed to Stammer's passes being well off of their mark). I think his added physicality has been in response to it, to be honest. Hits help, for whatever reason. Kuch seemed to come alive a little bit after taking a decent hit early.

For what it's worth, I'm not worried about any of them moving forward, and I expect it to be less of an issue with each game, particularly as they begin showing up on the score sheet.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The 15/16 Kucherov was the fastest, smartest player on the ice. So creative. The current incarnation of Kuch isn't using his speed and smarts to generate offense, he's trying a lot of low percentage dipsy do stuff that does more harm than good because the open ice simply isn't there. He has to start skating north south faster, which should open that ice back up a little, which will give him those shooting and passing lanes for his east-west game that makes him the best player in the game.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
The 15/16 Kucherov was the fastest, smartest player on the ice. So creative. The current incarnation of Kuch isn't using his speed and smarts to generate offense, he's trying a lot of low percentage dipsy do stuff that does more harm than good because the open ice simply isn't there. He has to start skating north south faster, which should open that ice back up a little, which will give him those shooting and passing lanes for his east-west game that makes him the best player in the game.
I agree. I've noticed it quite a bit all year, to be honest. He needs to get back to playing his own game, as opposed to trying to look like Patrick Kane on the ice. Their games are similar, to be sure, but still. Just be yourself Kuch!

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Kuch has looked a little less sharp since he went down for a few games, but, if he's not 100% I'd bet it's just your typical play-through-it, 82 game grind, banged up kind of "injury". He definitely seems to be either doubting his shot, or struggling with it. Seems like it's been for ever since his last pure snipe.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Kuch and Stammer are definitely not bringing their A-game in the first 2 playoff games, or the last month+ for that matter. Maybe that's a positive for the team's future in the playoffs. The second line has carried the team in the first 2 games. This team has so much depth offensively and the first line will show up and dominate a game at some point. I'm not worried about the offense at all. Depth in defensemen? Well.....I'm concerned a bit. Imagine if SY hadn't picked up #27? Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad