GDT: 4/11/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Pittsburgh vs Tampa Bay

Bolts4Life91

Feb 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
As a fan you obviously want to see your team win. But at this point losing isn't such a bad thing. Just think if we got the 2nd pick in 2008 we wouldn't have Stamkos. Everything happens for a reason guys.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Thanks! I cut your post down so I didn't post up covering half a page here. 1)What bad habits are you seeing from them that are still from Boucher's system if you don't mind me asking? 2) I agree never knowing who's in net, a sieve or a game stealer is always fine until it's apparent it is the sieve 2 minutes into a game. 3) if there's anything absolutely shocking this season, it has been stamkos. He pops up sometimes, but others, just wow. I agree wholeheartedly. 4) I thought Carle and salo were going to help a lot, but carle seems really weak at times and as much as I don't hate salo he has had a plagued past. Are there any targets you see fit, and any bait for them?
Sorry for the novel here, I'm breaking it in hard and fast!

Bad habits: leaving the zone before receiving breakout passes, too many stick checks in all three zones, not taking the man out in front of the net, looking for the perfect play and not shooting the puck enough etc. (there are plenty more)

Carle has been less noticeable lately, which is by all means a good thing. He's still not and will likely never be worth his price tag, but he actually logs a lot of minutes for us and is producing points lately (not that it means much in the overall team play). Salo is fine, he's steady and defensively responsible and can unleash a canon if his twig doesn't break.

Hjalmarsson is a name thrown around quite often since he played exceptionally well with Hedman at the WC. Phoenix, St.Louis and NYR are relatively deep on defense and may make good trading partners, but I'm not sure if we'd make good trading partners with all of them. However, the main problem is that a lot of teams are also looking for good top 4 dmen, so the available options are quite slim (without paying a premium of course). There are no viable options in UFA this summer so that avenue has to be ruled out too.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I was unfortunately at the game tonight (drove the hour and a half from UCF to the forum to see my Bolts :(). I am just going to point out some random things I noticed in no particular order:

-There were far too many Pens fans there, most were probably Bolts "fans" before tonight
-Most of the Bolts fans lacked heart tonight. There were a few times we tried to get a "Let's go Lightning" chant going but it would die after 10 seconds because no one would join in. I'll give them that there wasn't much to cheer for tonight, but come on people! My voice is actually hoarse right now from yelling at that rat faced ***** Malkin and booing the Pens, the refs, and our PP1 unit. Plus trying to boo over the "Let's go Pens" chants. Us real fans that unfortunately attended tonight tried our best to drown them out but there were too few true Bolts fans and too many Pens "fans".
-Stamkos has sucked copious amounts [mod:edit] this year. He is so weak on the puck and just refuses to shoot unless it's a tap in. I forget when it was but there was a chance he had from about 20 feet out and near the right hashmark. Instead of shooting like the Stamkos of old, he tried to give a little fancy pass to Marty for a tap in and it got broken up. SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK STAMKOS!!!! I just don't get it! If I had a shot like his, I would be shooting the puck from EVERYWHERE in the O-zone. I am not even joking when I tell you that I would be flirting with the 1000 SOG per year mark.
-Marty: see Stamkos
-Killorn didn't play too great today. Made a few very smart plays but then some other really boneheaded ones.
-Our PP2 unit should be the first unit. I love the way they cycle the puck and how they work from the goal line out. That's how you run a ****ing PP, not 5 cones passing back and forth like the PP1 unit.
-71-63-14 was pretty good. Johnson is so damn fast, he just needs to simplify his offensive game a bit. I love when he comes flying down the wing and cuts outside but he needs to remember to lower his shoulder and cut to the front. 14 has some good and bad moments, I think most of his bad will be worked out with experience. 71 needs to simplify his game too. Put the puck on net and drive to it. Simple.
-Barberio needs to adjust to NHL speed, he's still on AHL speed. Gudas is getting too aggressive. I like that he gets in opponents faces and agitates, but he's getting caught out of position a lot.
-Bishop played alright tonight. Not sure where all of the hate is coming from all of a sudden. The first goal was Teddy and Brewer not know how to defense, the third was an awesome redirect, same with the fifth, and the sixth was a scramble in front. Malkin has an extremely tricky shot and he didn't score 50 goals without deceiving a few goalies. The only one I'd really blame on him is the 2nd goal because he left a juicy rebound right in front of him. He's gotta swallow those up.
-All in all, I feel our main issue is the defensive mentality of the team. When there's a scramble in front it seems like everyone is scrambling to stick it away instead of bulldozing bodies in front. All of the good teams have the physical mentality in front of their own net, no matter how good their defense is.

Sorry it was so long, I just needed to rant. Tonight was so infuriating for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I agree with the comment above.
I love Panik but he tries too many fancy plays, if he simplified his game a bit I think it would be better

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Some key points from last nights broadcast;

"1 of 2 teams without a shg" during one of Pitts last powerplays, is that really a warranted stat to show? I mean, how much more do they have to belittle us?

"Gudas is going to get it, eventually a heavyweight will drop him" referring to him messing with Malkin. So, they can talk about Gudas in a manner as if he's a little child picking fights when Orpik hit MSL and everybody got in there and they call it sticking up for? There's always such an obvious double standard when it comes to big market teams vs small market teams. I honestly dont want another nationally televised game for the lightning cause it usually results in this;

-phi or pitt as our opponent
-blowout
-controversy
-all of the above

Im picking the last one.

Also if you look at what we've lost from the 2011 ECF run and now;

Our centers in 2011;
Lecavalier, Stamkos, Moore, Thompson, with Pyatt and Hall able to take the draws too.

Now;
Lecavalier, Stamkos, Johnson, Thompson, with Pyatt and Hall able to take the draws. Obvs Hall is gone now.

Havent lost anything there, sure Vinny is injury prone and Hall is gone but Johnson is great at draws, while overall at center, we lack play at both ends from all 4 centers consistently. The most consistent two-way centers IMO are Johnson & Thompson and throw in Pyatt but I consider him mainly as a winger.

Our wingers in 2011;
Purcell, Downie, MSL, Malone, Bergenheim, Pyatt, Gagne, Hall, Tyrell. Im possibly forgetting somebody.

Now;
Purcell, MSL, Malone, Pouliot, Pyatt, Tyrell*, Connolly, Panik, Palat*, Crombeen, Labrie*, again, probably missing somebody.

What a downgrade. Seriously. Sure in the future it will look great and you have to go through tough times but this is too much at one time. There are times when you need to cut dead weight off the team, such as Malone, Crombeen and bring in some experienced and scoring wingers, but, we are limited to doing so because of the beloved one, Lecavalier. :shakehead We still have Purcell, Malone, MSL, Pyatt, and Tyrell to some extent. We've lost a physical player that can get 10-15 goals easily in Bergenheim, we lost EXPERIENCE with Gagne and a little scoring touch he provided that year when he wasnt injured and the biggest letdown of SY's GM career, Downie. Guys like that dont grow on trees and you can see firsthand how its affected us.

We have inexperienced players that whether you want to admit it or not, just cant do the job, not yet, in the future for sure, but its too many inexperienced guys. We have deadweight on the 2nd line and Im still a firm believer in Connolly not going to pan out. Sure he's still young and inexperienced, I just have a hunch he'll be a "bust." Of course I hope not, but he just looks so DAMN LOST OUT THERE EVERY DAMN SHIFT! Our bottom 6 is either too slow and not good enough with the puck, Labrie & Crombeen, or they are tiny with no physical presence out there like Boston, Pitt, Philly, etc have. Not sure why Pouliot is being scratched. Stupid idea.

Defense in 2011;
Ohlund, Hedman, Kubina, Brewer, Jones, MAB, Clark(LOL), Lundin

Now;
Hedman, Salo, Brewer, Carle, Gudas, Barberio*, Lee, Aulie

As far as Im concerned, if Gudas picked up his awareness and played smarter, I'd be fine with him in the top 4. I dont think he'll miss a game in a Lightning sweater next year. Obvs Ohlund not being able to play hurts us, we dont have a shotblocker like Clark around any more but he was a pylon anyways, but shotblocking is key, something we dont have. Jones got the job done, cant say too much more, Lundin and Ohlund shut down Ovechkin everytime we played them. Letting Lundin go was always a mistake in my eyes. Should've paid him what Purcell gets, at least he's not afraid to touch a player. Brewer steadily gets worse. Every game is a nightmare with him in the lineup. Carle is Carle and he's been playing better. Lee sucks, we all know that, so does Stevie lol. Aulie is doing a fine job, slow to get going and not the quickest foot speed which isnt too much of a hinderance but its noticeable like last night. Barberio, too soon to tell but he's got a really soft pass and a soft shot for the nhl so far and he's pretty complacent at times, Brett Connolly mode activated.

Goaltending in 2011;
Roloson, Smith

now;
Bishop, Lindback, Garon

pretty much boils down to having a proven #1 and thats what we had in Roloson, his final leg and we enjoyed it, now we are "hoping" 1 of 2 or 2 of 2 pan out, and then Garon warming the bench til the summer to be let go.

The way I see it, too inexperienced, too soft, too lazy, not enough complete players in the lineup including MSL and Stamkos, defense is pourous and that wont help out our goaltending situation.

Not panic mode, but nothing to be joyous about considering our cap hit next year, our way of "addressing" needs and our division. To say it mildly, if these young guys dont come away with concussions next year, I'll consider it a victory, until they get to be 50-60pt guys, we are ****ed imo. Royally.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I know that post was long, but it was a vent and my armchair analysis on this team. Its infuriating anymore, it really ****ing is. How many years do we have to suck? Im so tired of seeing this, as we all are but damn it, we just cant have consecutive years of success anymore.

You've got players that have been here under 3 or more coaching staffs yet wont part ways with one...you all know who it is. I love Vinny, he used to be my favorite player, he was incredible 4-5 years ago but he's injury prone and hasnt been the same since that Cooke hit years ago. MSL still provides offense but his defensive play hurts us, so do his turnovers. Malone really needs to go...seriously.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
So we've changed the owner, general manager, coach, parts of the coaching staff, goalie, defensemen, and bottom-line forwards.

Time to change the captain? Something? What can be done at this point? Give Cooper two more years and hope?

Don't take this personal as it isn't but...

What are you all expecting from this team right now?

The effort certainly wasn't the worst we've had, but frankly we're just outclassed with a thin lineup at the moment. We've lost our best defender in Hedman, his replacement (Barberio) has mostly been awful so far. Brewer is taking top four minutes and playing like a 5-6. Salo can only do so much. Carle needs someone in the lineup to protect him when he roams.

We sent Palat back down, who was our best possession guy. We put Bugsy back in the lineup (which, wave to him while you can cause i'm sure hes done here) and sat Tyrell, Pouliot, Pyatt. Its very obvious at this point in the year this is a very glorified audition for next season - Cooper is going to see what he has and cut the rest of the **** out of this team, no more dead weight, no more "lets hold on to him, we have nobody to replace his size", no more excuses. This is why the Paniks, Connollys, Barberios are in the lineup.

I get you guys want to win now, and trust me, I do too. I hate watching this team lose. BUT, we're finally headed in a direction with purpose. We have a prospect pool, we have talent moving up to the big club for the first time EVER. We've never had this. We've got a solid fourth line. We have a top pairing defender developing into a number one. We have a great scorer (that admittedly doesn't play defense), and there are a few guys that have gotten paid and laid down at various points in the season (26 - completely unacceptable, 16, 12 - lazy, inconsistent, always "hurt") and that **** isn't going to fly anymore.

Cooper with a full training camp and a few targeted offseason acquisitions can really put this team back on track. There better be a nice, long, busy, workout-filled offseason for Ondrej Palat because he won't be seeing Syracuse ever again after this summer. Purcell better get his **** straight and learn to backcheck with Stamkos or the both of them are going to be in a world of hurt.

The playoffs were simply a "if you lay down you'll be bought out" warning to the rest of the team. Either you want the 8 seed, or you want the 14 seed. You know it, I know it, Steve knows it, Coop knows it. Notice how Bugsy is skating harder these last two games than we've seen over the last three years? Hes ****ing flying, because he knows his end is near.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa

The effort certainly wasn't the worst we've had, but frankly we're just outclassed with a thin lineup at the moment. We've lost our best defender in Hedman, his replacement (Barberio) has mostly been awful so far. Brewer is taking top four minutes and playing like a 5-6. Salo can only do so much. Carle needs someone in the lineup to protect him when he roams.

We sent Palat back down, who was our best possession guy. We put Bugsy back in the lineup (which, wave to him while you can cause i'm sure hes done here) and sat Tyrell, Pouliot, Pyatt. Its very obvious at this point in the year this is a very glorified audition for next season - Cooper is going to see what he has and cut the rest of the **** out of this team, no more dead weight, no more "lets hold on to him, we have nobody to replace his size", no more excuses. This is why the Paniks, Connollys, Barberios are in the lineup.

I get you guys want to win now, and trust me, I do too. I hate watching this team lose. BUT, we're finally headed in a direction with purpose. We have a prospect pool, we have talent moving up to the big club for the first time EVER. We've never had this. We've got a solid fourth line. We have a top pairing defender developing into a number one. We have a great scorer (that admittedly doesn't play defense), and there are a few guys that have gotten paid and laid down at various points in the season (26 - completely unacceptable, 16, 12 - lazy, inconsistent, always "hurt") and that **** isn't going to fly anymore.

Cooper with a full training camp and a few targeted offseason acquisitions can really put this team back on track. There better be a nice, long, busy, workout-filled offseason for Ondrej Palat because he won't be seeing Syracuse ever again after this summer. Purcell better get his **** straight and learn to backcheck with Stamkos or the both of them are going to be in a world of hurt.

The playoffs were simply a "if you lay down you'll be bought out" warning to the rest of the team. Either you want the 8 seed, or you want the 14 seed. You know it, I know it, Steve knows it, Coop knows it. Notice how Bugsy is skating harder these last two games than we've seen over the last three years? Hes ****ing flying, because he knows his end is near.

Really good post. It is frustrating to keep looking to next season, especially with a shortened season and soon to be early exit for Tampa, but I am hopeful for next season with a full off-season for everyone to adjust to new system changes/mentality. Also keeping fingers crossed that we see assistant coaching changes for the defense and goaltending. Nervous about our D-core but maybe we will see a roster change there over the summer.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I know that post was long, but it was a vent and my armchair analysis on this team. Its infuriating anymore, it really ****ing is. How many years do we have to suck? Im so tired of seeing this, as we all are but damn it, we just cant have consecutive years of success anymore.

You've got players that have been here under 3 or more coaching staffs yet wont part ways with one...you all know who it is. I love Vinny, he used to be my favorite player, he was incredible 4-5 years ago but he's injury prone and hasnt been the same since that Cooke hit years ago. MSL still provides offense but his defensive play hurts us, so do his turnovers. Malone really needs to go...seriously.

I know that feel, bro.

The thing is that we've got an offseason to look forward to after only a few more games and then SFY gets the chance to address the issues. Make the bad go away.

If the reasonably fixable things aren't addressed this summer....I can't see us taking that well.

Last edited:

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa

Vinny is still my favorite player, has been since he was drafted. I just don't see him as the issue (even inspite of his contract). He unfortunately has had a long list of injuries but none of them have been due to poor conditioning or some chronic lingering issues. He has mentioned evaluating extra equipment during the summer to protect wrists/ankles - maybe some extra bubblewrap will prevent the freak injury trend he has going. For all of his injuries though, he really hasn't missed that many games, although it obviously has affected his play during those stints. I've always thought that due to his Captain status, he really pushes himself to be in the lineup regardless so as to not 'let the team down,' even if there are times he would better serve by healing fully off the ice.

He is still so obviously gifted with the puck, and while he isn't the fastest skater Tampa can throw on the ice, I am still impressed with his puck control - he was one of the few guys last night who could hang onto the puck along the boards and come away with it. His defensive game is one of the best on the team. His skating speed was hampered even more due to the foot injury and he still might not be 100% - offseason will be good for him.

This team needs Lecavalier IMO and they do not have anyone who can fill his role on this team (and in the community which is HUGE when it comes to growing and retaining fanbases). Before his injury (when he was 100%), he was amazing out on the ice - absolutely in my mind the best forward every game. His skill is still evident and I hope he's around in Tampa for many years to come - it means something to me that he loves the Tampa area and this team and has never wanted to play anywhere else.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

Preach it brother!

I'm really not understanding this huge wave of pessimism right now. Yep, they're losing. No it's not fun to watch. We knew that was likely. Haven't we been saying for weeks now that the playoffs were a pipe dream? We all knew that Cooper was going to need more time with the team to get them playing his way.

Before we start dooming ourselves to being overwhelmed and out of the playoffs for the next decade, let's see what the offseason brings and what this team looks like with a full training camp under their BRAND NEW head coach.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I think the worst part about yesterday's game was that we didn't get to see Brittany. Screw national broadcasts for home games.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land

Amen. We iced half an AHL team against the presumptive Stanley Cup favorites. This stuff happens.

Hey, look at Montreal, they had a kid-heavy roster that got pounded for a few years and then overnight (recall that they had the 3rd pick last year) they're beating the Broons for the Northeast division late in the season. We might be bad, but at least we're bad with an upside, unlike when we were a bad hodgepodge of overpaid veterans (see: Calgary). We all like Cuse, but there were always going to be growing pains.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011

Oh I know. Its this team. Its not that I think they are capable of making the playoffs with the way this season has gone, not enough experience on the team, too many new guys, things just dont mesh that quickly. Its the players on this "team" that just dont play 60mins and just dont play at both ends. Im sure Cooper is stressing how important it is, but the message sure as hell wont get through when 3/4 of your best players EVERY game dont bother to backcheck, but would rather make 43493857 blind passes each game. Its not coaching at this point and its not Yzerman's fault, its the players simply making piss poor decisions with and without the puck, moreso without it. Thats where we get ****ed over every game, not bothering to play defense, and it shows. Not individual defense, but team defense might I add.

I know that feel, bro.

The thing is that we've got an offseason to look forward to after only a few more games and then SFY gets the chance to address the issues. Make the bad go away.

If the reasonably fixable things aren't addressed this summer....I can't see us taking that well.

For sure, they may want to keep selling out the forum to casual fans that got tickets or want to go to a game but how much longer til the die hards like us eventually say **** it and we wont watch them? Its the same damn thing year in and year out, I dont watch this team so we can get a draft pick that needs to develop in a system like the previous pick before him is doing, I watch this team compete, something it doesnt do often, to try to win a cup. Sure as hell wont see that anytime soon.

Vinny is still my favorite player, has been since he was drafted. I just don't see him as the issue (even inspite of his contract). He unfortunately has had a long list of injuries but none of them have been due to poor conditioning or some chronic lingering issues. He has mentioned evaluating extra equipment during the summer to protect wrists/ankles - maybe some extra bubblewrap will prevent the freak injury trend he has going. For all of his injuries though, he really hasn't missed that many games, although it obviously has affected his play during those stints. I've always thought that due to his Captain status, he really pushes himself to be in the lineup regardless so as to not 'let the team down,' even if there are times he would better serve by healing fully off the ice.

He is still so obviously gifted with the puck, and while he isn't the fastest skater Tampa can throw on the ice, I am still impressed with his puck control - he was one of the few guys last night who could hang onto the puck along the boards and come away with it. His defensive game is one of the best on the team. His skating speed was hampered even more due to the foot injury and he still might not be 100% - offseason will be good for him.

This team needs Lecavalier IMO and they do not have anyone who can fill his role on this team (and in the community which is HUGE when it comes to growing and retaining fanbases). Before his injury (when he was 100%), he was amazing out on the ice - absolutely in my mind the best forward every game. His skill is still evident and I hope he's around in Tampa for many years to come - it means something to me that he loves the Tampa area and this team and has never wanted to play anywhere else.

Oh, I agree. 100%, he uses his body to protect the puck, wins draws, fights scores, knows when to make that big play, but he's often injured, whether he misses games or not, you can tell he's playing through an injury which is hurting his play. At that price, we dont need him. Sorry to say that, it pains me too, but we really dont need a guy getting paid that much!...just to get injured and then provide 40-50pts a year. Sure if he played 70 games or more but c'mon, you cant tell, and yeah I recall hearing the extra padding on the skates and gloves to prevent injuries but its a common thing for him to go down. I'd love to keep him for a lower price. I just feel that for the future of the team, the best thing for this BUSINESS, this TEAM, is to trade him or let him go. He'll probably get a pass year after year and remain here the duration of his career but I for one am tired of his injuries and his limp(limp as in he cant play 100%) play each year. At this point, I'd consider him in the column of dead weight. He'll always be one of my favorites, regardless of whatever happens with him.

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
No actually he is pretty much spot on in his post. Bishop has let in a terribly soft goal in every game except the shutout.

He's been mediocre.

And this team blows. Pretty much decided I'm not renewing my tickets for next season. Have been fighting it since they raised my prices so much but I'm over it. Ill buy an 80" TV and get Marty life size.

Besides, tonight was a preview of how home games will be next year. Montreal, buffalo, Toronto, Boston, Detroit. Yep the lightning will be playing about 60 road games next year. I just want to punch the idiots who had Penguins jerseys on with lightning hats on. Or lightning jerseys with red wings hats. **** all you ******* "fans" who sellout.

I don't really mind when the Habs come to town. Every chick I've ever seen in Habs gear is pretty damn good looking.

What is it about the frenchies?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Amen. We iced half an AHL team against the presumptive Stanley Cup favorites. This stuff happens.

Hey, look at Montreal, they had a kid-heavy roster that got pounded for a few years and then overnight (recall that they had the 3rd pick last year) they're beating the Broons for the Northeast division late in the season. We might be bad, but at least we're bad with an upside, unlike when we were a bad hodgepodge of overpaid veterans (see: Calgary). We all like Cuse, but there were always going to be growing pains.

Agreed, but the resurgence of an elite goalie like Carey Price has certainly played a huge role too. I can't see either Bishop or Lindback reaching Price's level, but even if one or both become solid enough to play good enough to win us games, there'd be nothing to complain about.

Hedman's offensive game continues to grow each season and he is basically already to us what Subban is to the Habs. We definitely have a more talented collection of offensive stars up front, so it's just a matter of upgrading our defense, learning the system and paying more attention to detail on our play without the puck.

ArmchairGoalie

May 18, 2011
Largo, FL

Yep, and not one mention of that on the broadcast last night. Instead, Pierre got himself all hot and frothy with the Pittsburgh machine even without Crosby and a few others. :shakehead

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Yep, and not one mention of that on the broadcast last night. Instead, Pierre got himself all hot and frothy with the Pittsburgh machine even without Crosby and a few others. :shakehead

You can't forget about the mentions about how invaluable their acquisitions this season have been or the distinction that Malkin is a highlight machine against us and lives off of playing against our team. Of course, there's not one mention that our #1 dman is injured or that we've been dealing with injuries as well this year...

ArmchairGoalie

May 18, 2011
Largo, FL
You can't forget about the mentions about how invaluable their acquisitions this season have been or the distinction that Malkin is a highlight machine against us and lives off of playing against our team. Of course, there's not one mention that our #1 dman is injured or that we've been dealing with injuries as well this year...

Yep. I have a hard time watching games on NBC Sports because of it. But it doesn't help when our team "sharts" the bed.

I'm sure Cooper will turn this team around, but its a painful process to watch....over and over and over again.

But thankfully we now have a minor league system and prospects to be proud of. SFY has done a great job rebuilding this whole organization from the last ownership group....and to be honest, the Davidson group and Jay Feaster weren't much better. Sure we had a couple of good years and won a Cup but Feaster seemed to ignore the minor league system and we have paid the price ever since.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Agreed, but the resurgence of an elite goalie like Carey Price has certainly played a huge role too. I can't see either Bishop or Lindback reaching Price's level, but even if one or both become solid enough to play good enough to win us games, there'd be nothing to complain about.

Hedman's offensive game continues to grow each season and he is basically already to us what Subban is to the Habs. We definitely have a more talented collection of offensive stars up front, so it's just a matter of upgrading our defense, learning the system and paying more attention to detail on our play without the puck.

Sure - which is where Vasilevskiy eventually comes in (we all hope).

And re: bolded - I think we finally have the coach that can achieve those things, which is a big part of why I feel ok about dropping points during this audition period. Even with these issues Coop's still sitting on a 3-3-1 record so far.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Sure - which is where Vasilevskiy eventually comes in (we all hope).

And re: bolded - I think we finally have the coach that can achieve those things, which is a big part of why I feel ok about dropping points during this audition period. Even with these issues Coop's still sitting on a 3-3-1 record so far.

Exactly, people have to keep in mind that Coop can only accomplish so much being named coach mid-season. Give him a full training camp and pre-season before we start asking for further changes. The team is still in transition, let's just hope our weaknesses are addressed this off-season and that the team properly learns and thrives in Coop's system next year.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa

**** yeah. That was great.

This page of the GDT is a great read. I didn't watch the game last night, but I did catch the Crombeen fight from the bench and it looked like he was holding his own.

Overall, I just hope SAI is right, and there are no more excuses so changes can occur this offseason.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Oh I know. Its this team. Its not that I think they are capable of making the playoffs with the way this season has gone, not enough experience on the team, too many new guys, things just dont mesh that quickly. Its the players on this "team" that just dont play 60mins and just dont play at both ends. Im sure Cooper is stressing how important it is, but the message sure as hell wont get through when 3/4 of your best players EVERY game dont bother to backcheck, but would rather make 43493857 blind passes each game. Its not coaching at this point and its not Yzerman's fault, its the players simply making piss poor decisions with and without the puck, moreso without it. Thats where we get ****ed over every game, not bothering to play defense, and it shows. Not individual defense, but team defense might I add.

Totally understood and its frustrating... for some reason they came out almost nervous last night which pissed me off too. You can catch Pittsburgh flat, it happens, and they can be slow - but if you're going to do that you have to absolutely put them away early.

Oh, I agree. 100%, he uses his body to protect the puck, wins draws, fights scores, knows when to make that big play, but he's often injured, whether he misses games or not, you can tell he's playing through an injury which is hurting his play. At that price, we dont need him. Sorry to say that, it pains me too, but we really dont need a guy getting paid that much!...just to get injured and then provide 40-50pts a year. Sure if he played 70 games or more but c'mon, you cant tell, and yeah I recall hearing the extra padding on the skates and gloves to prevent injuries but its a common thing for him to go down. I'd love to keep him for a lower price. I just feel that for the future of the team, the best thing for this BUSINESS, this TEAM, is to trade him or let him go. He'll probably get a pass year after year and remain here the duration of his career but I for one am tired of his injuries and his limp(limp as in he cant play 100%) play each year. At this point, I'd consider him in the column of dead weight. He'll always be one of my favorites, regardless of whatever happens with him.

I hate to say it because I love the guy but yeah, I agree.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

This. The kids are getting time to show what they can do, and for the most part, impressing.

I do agree that Malone will most likely be gone, the only reason I can think of him being in the line-up over Pouliot is to try and show him off to teams for the summer in hopes of moving him instead of buying him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad