Post-Game Talk: #4 - 10/17/19 | RANGERS @ devils

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If it is so easy to ascertain what a coach is doing wrong, why is it that fans think they know what is right and professionals can't figure it out?

Good question. Why can any halfwit with a rudimentary understanding of the game look at the TV and say "Why is Tanner Glass on the ice defending a one goal lead in the playoffs?" and the coach not see it until he literally kicks the tying goal into the net?

Questions for the ages.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Buch is always going to ride shotgun to Panarin and Zibanejad.

Like are people expecting something different? He's very clearly the 3rd best player on that line, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Eventually Kakko is going to take that spot, but pushing Buch down after 4 games seems rash

4 shots in 4 games isn't going to work. he needs to be much better.

i dont see him snake bit or bad luck or making things happen and not being rewarded. i see a waterskier right now who needs to move aside and let some one else have a shot. lets start on the PP1. see how that goes first.

add #20 to that as well. both have been pretty bad so far.

fixing the PP is item #1 to me. change the PP1. remove 20 and 89 from that unit

the PP is where this team needs to make some noise

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think everyone knows this won't be the lineup for the whole season and that this bottom 6 will change probably 10 times this season alone.

Two games for the Wolfpack, tonight and tomorrow. Let's see how Chytil does. I'd think there is a good chance if he continues the strong play that he is here in the not too distant future.

Also, Andersson was more effective than most guys out there again. More time tonight, but a lot of PK time. More 5v5 time as well. Please keep this trend going.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If he's as talented as you say he is, he should have absolutely zero issue learning when and how to occasionally dump a puck into the offensive zone.

If you're used to a different style of hockey all your life it's not that easy. It takes time to change your mindset.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Buch and Kreider have always been slow starters so this isn't surprising in the least bit. Both looks like shells of themselves when they are actually on their game. I think Buch is pressing because he knows the other two players on his line are elite whereas he's far from it. He's trying to do things he's not capable of which is leading to a lot of turnovers and broken plays. I'm hoping he settles down after 10-20 games and starts doing the stuff that made him so effective at the end of last year (driving to the net and scoring from in close or on rebounds)

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Buch and Kreider have always been slow starters so this isn't surprising in the least bit. Both looks like shells of themselves when they are actually on their game. I think Buch is pressing because he knows the other two players on his line are elite whereas he's far from it. He's trying to do things he's not capable of which is leading to a lot of turnovers and broken plays. I'm hoping he settles down after 10-20 games and starts doing the stuff that made him so effective at the end of last year (driving to the net and scoring from in close or on rebounds)

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
If you're used to a different style of hockey all your life it's not that easy. It takes time to change your mindset.

And that's totally fine. Let him learn this in Hartford so that when he comes up it's second nature. If he makes a mistake in Hartford fine. If he makes that mistake here, it's much worse. Bad things happen when you don't make the right play in this league. It's the blaming the coach, the management, the complaining they aren't giving him a chance, the threats (real or fake) of him bolting to Russia, that's dumb.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And that's totally fine. Let him learn this in Hartford so that when he comes up it's second nature. If he makes a mistake in Hartford fine. If he makes that mistake here, it's much worse. Bad things happen when you don't make the right play in this league. It's the blaming the coach, the management, the complaining they aren't giving him a chance, the threats (real or fake) of him bolting to Russia, that's dumb.

I think people would be okay with Kravtsov in the AHL if we had some depth on the wing. Can anyone really say McKegg, Haley and Smith are better options than Kravtsov?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I think people would be okay with Kravtsov in the AHL if we had some depth on the wing. Can anyone really say McKegg, Haley and Smith are better options than Kravtsov?

I wouldn't and I don't think anyone in management would either. But they don't have anything invested in McKegg, Haley and Smith except for what they pay them. They're placeholders. This isn't Kravtsov vs. those guys, it's Kravtsov vs. Kravtsov. If he earned a top 9 role in camp, I think he'd be here right now. But what good is it to have him on the 4th line? Without knowing what they told him what he needed to work on in Hartford, it's hard to gauge what's going wrong. But it seems to me, he could do what they ask, work hard and he'll be back up here in a few months. Just like Chytil appears to be doing.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Watching the replay. Buchnevich was awful. He is truly killing that powerplay. Slow starter for sure and he’ll get better but right now he should be on PP2 and on line 2.

you’ve got to realize the talent of kakko and get him on the ice more. He should be on Pp1 right now no question.

Rangers have to bring Chytil back. Big hole at center ice he’s clearly better than Howden and Strome.

however again watching this game we didn’t play badly at all. Georgiev was terrible but we played much better than we did against Edmonton.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Of course not, but I would not want Kravsov playing on the 4th line any more than I want Andersson there. And Kravstov clearly needs more development.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I agree with that and I have always said he should stay in Russia for at least another year.

But if he's developed those problems playing in Russia, how would spending an extra year there fix them? Playing big mintues, doing the wrong thing is not what's best for his development. Him spending half a season in Hartford, in the grand scheme of things, is miniscule compared to the role he has here with the Rangers moving forward.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Not sure what you're saying. Why can't professional coaches figure out what's seemingly obvious to some here?

Because it's not so obvious. Coaches have to also manage personalities and long term consequences of their actions. For one, if you just arbitrarily promote guys over others you need to justify this in some way. Coach Quinn has been fairly on point with who he's benched( Lemieux earned it by hockey standards for taking a terrible penalty.) Hockey culture is very pure and clear at the highest levels and players won't respect coaches who act in random and hard to figure out ways. If players play lazy they get less ice time. If players outwork others they move up in the lineup. It's clear that based on what Quinn is saying, that, at least in his mind, he his sticking to this very core belief of hockey culture with his roster moves. The real issue for coach Quinn is he can't really hold anyone accountable because the lack of depth just makes it impossible to find anyone who realistically can challenge some of his most under performing players.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Buch is always going to ride shotgun to Panarin and Zibanejad.

Like are people expecting something different? He's very clearly the 3rd best player on that line, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Eventually Kakko is going to take that spot, but pushing Buch down after 4 games seems rash
It would be nice if he could at least show up at 5v5, he has 1 shot attempt. Playing with Panarin and Zibanejad that's pretty sad. And that line as a whole has sucked for the most part. Maybe breaking them up wouldn't be the worst thing in the world especially if they can get Kreider going with Zibanejad.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I picked Skjei for one of the stars for going after Trout face Hall after he tried to murder Fox.

The league better be looking at that. It was disgusting.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
It would be nice if he could at least show up at 5v5, he has 1 shot attempt. Playing with Panarin and Zibanejad that's pretty sad. And that line as a whole has sucked for the most part. Maybe breaking them up wouldn't be the worst thing in the world especially if they can get Kreider going with Zibanejad.
I'd like to see Buch bumped off the TEAM if possible. He's a total bum and always has been.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
But if he's developed those problems playing in Russia, how would spending an extra year there fix them? Playing big mintues, doing the wrong thing is not what's best for his development. Him spending half a season in Hartford, in the grand scheme of things, is miniscule compared to the role he has here with the Rangers moving forward.

It's not that black and white. These issues are a lot easier to overcome when the rest of your game is more polished. Kakko is struggling with the same issue but he's an overall better player as a teenager and it won't hold him back.

Kravtsov going back to the KHL, developing as a player, maturing as a person, can come back at the end of the season being closer to NHL ready.

The funny thing is that this debate was started with me mocking the over-reliance on dumping the puck. Clearly people think that way. I find that quite funny honestly. Hockey is changing. It's more and more focused on possession, not territory. A player like Kravtsov, when being played to his strengths, can be a good 3rd line player in the NHL next year and should be a top line player in the AHL. But the coaching staff doesn't seem to be able to use him the right way. For all the praise this new coaching staff in Hartford got, they have not convinced me yet they are good at developing talent. So far, their only accomplishment is "Not being last year's coaching staff"

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
In my opinion two biggest things that need to be addressed:
-Lias moved up the lineup, please for the love of god get him off the 4th line
- Replace Buch on the 1st PP unit with Kaapo. Buch has not looked good at all on the PP

Reactions: NYRFANMANI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->