Post-Game Talk: #4 - 10/11/18 | sharks @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Have no idea what’s wrong with Hayes and Zibanejad to start the season. I don’t really care whether we win or lose this season (it’s all about development) but it’s these two, not puck luck or bounces, are the difference between being 1-3 instead of 3-1 to start the season.

This was Namestnikov best game as a Ranger, building upon a positive (but limited) performance in the last game. He was making plays in all three zones. I hope he’s finally figured it out and will keep it up going forward.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I gotta day I like what Quinn is doing with the ice time. He’s rewarding guys who play well. I wish he’d break up the 1PP a bit. Those guys looked so horrible.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Howden, Namestnikov, Chytil were all good IMO upfront. Buch outside of the assist really struggled I thought, he still leaves me wanting a lot more but I feel like I am alone on this lol. Can't think of any other forwards who were any good, and Hayes' line was atrocious. Defensively I thought Smith and Claesson were terrific. Claesson was extremely impressive and his skating and puck moving/puck carrying abilities were better than I even thought. Him and Smith were winning battles all over the defensive zone, moving pucks efficiently. ADA struggled, Staal needs to come out of the lineup and Skjei and McQuaid were torched.

Next game I would like to see Namestnikov and Chytil play with someone other than Lettieri, and keep Claesson in the lineup and takeout Staal.

You are not alone on this. I am not impressed by him whatsoever. I just feel like its taboo to call out Buchnevich on here because of his very vocal fanbase.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You are not alone on this. I am not impressed by him whatsoever. I just feel like its taboo to call out Buchnevich on here because of his very vocal fanbase.

No doubt he needs to be better but he’s been better (or at least not worse) than Zibanejad, Hayes, Kreider or Zuke among important vets.

But yeah sure there’s a taboo :huh:

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
No doubt he needs to be better but he’s been better (or at least not worse) than Zibanejad, Hayes, Kreider or Zuke among important vets.

But yeah sure there’s a taboo :huh:

Agreed that none of those players have been great, but we already know what all those guys are. There is a good chance 2 or 3 of them won't be a part of this teams future core. Buchnevich, who is much younger, is being looked at as a future piece, so his performance matters more. He arrived with expectations that he has yet to reach. Now its still early with a new coach so its nothing to jump out a window about, but I am a bit concerned

Reactions: CaptBubba5

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I like ADA's potential, but he is a bit of a cluster f&^k in his own end. Quinn really needs to play the kid every game so he can learn how to play at this level.
Kreider is what he is, a physically imposing forward with very little skill or hockey sense. He will, in flashes, look like an unstoppable force, but mostly, leave you shaking your head.
Chytil is struggling a bit, but you can see that he will be a force once he catches up to the speed of the game. Playing with better linemates would help as well.
Hank has looked better than he has in years. Not sure why, or if its sustainable, but good for him.
Smith looks strong, but he isn't much of a puck mover. He tends to go up the wall almost every time, even when the winger is covered. For whatever reason, he doesn't want to slip a pass to the open center.
Has anyone seen Mika?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Buchnevich has three points in four games. I’d say some are being harsh for the sake of it. We also know that he plays much better on a line with Kreider and Zibanejad. That is backed up by the stats. Quinn got rid of that after less than two games. That’s an AV type of decision. All three of those players aren’t playing that well right now. He was still on a line with Zibanejad yesterday, but Zibanejad has not had a good start to the season and Fast doesnt belong in the top six. I would not expect great play from him on this line right now. They could barely even enter the O-zone this game. The fact that he’s still scoring points while not playing that well is important development. Dips in form happen. He was playing great during the preseason. He’s still managing to find ways to score points not playing his best hockey.

Reactions: haveandare

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t know what some of you are watching from DeAngelo. I thought he had a terrible game. He played as bad as what was getting Shatty benched. It’s only one game and I think he should stay in the lineup, but if he plays like that more often, he’s too much of a defensive liability to take regular shifts.

I thought the defense was once again terrible. Other than Claesson who has played one game, I don’t think we’ve had a defenseman who has played average or better hockey to start the season.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Gonna read the pgt now, so excuse me if this was already said.
Jeez, when was the last time our defense scored 2 goals in a game? Been a while, for sure.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm not voting Hank as one of the stars in any game this season, if we win it's obvious that he will be one of the reasons why. That being said...

Howden
Namestnikov
Skjei ( other than 2 horrible plays, he was good)
That's funny, because that has pretty much ALWAYS how I have done my voting. But indeed, I voted Hank because I KNOW that Hank NEEDED that one, and was especially happy for him.
Also, voted our 2 goal scorers who just happen to be defensemen, not just for their goals, but they must have done something right holding Sharks to only 2.

Reactions: Fvital92

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Quinn scratching Shattenkirk really worked, it sent a message. Although I really think they only had one bad game this season so far which was against Carolina. Also, That Howden kid is pretty good.

Lundqvist was excellent again, but finally got enough offensive support to get the win, You give up only 2 goals, your team should be at least getting a point out of that.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I liked Howden and Claesson. Name, Smith also had a pretty good game.

I thought ADA kind of showed both sides, he makes passes no one else on the D can come close to making, but he can also do dumb stuff.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Three criteria:

Did they work hard? Yes.
Did they do something to make us proud? The no-quit thing is definitely something I like.
Did the youngsters play well? Howden looked good. Buchnevich (who is still a youngster) looked good overall, minus a couple of hiccups. Chytil and DeAngelo had middling games.

It was a good night.

Horrible ice even by MSG standards and we played a team that made it hard for us. With that said I still have a hard time picking three guys that played well besides Howden and Hank obviously. Fast maybe? Claesson? Smith? Smith of course had the goal but I don’t think he played a good game necessarily. Buch? You want a little more.

Skjei struggled a lot. DeAngelo had a rough night. Ziba didn’t find ice. Kreider wasn’t bad but not good either. Hayes was invisible.

Zucc has a very important role on the team and especially the PP. He still makes plays that you love — but in light of the role he has he isn’t executing well enough. He is often the source for lost pressure on the PP and so forth. He has a longer stick again, he wants to score more? Maybe it should be shorten again.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m not seeing this mistake ridden game from ADA.

He made some mistakes, but I feel like these are getting magnified due to reputation rather than the gravity of the actual mistakes.

The 2nd goal against was hardly his fault (slow change, probably not the best shot selection and Zucc falling asleep, no excuse to get caught like that)

He fell on a flukey play and then made a bad pinch later.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Namestnikov had his best game of the season. It was great to see him using his peed and tenacity on he forecheck. This is the way he was playing when he first came over and the way he was playing in TB. He is a versatile player and should be a nice depth scorer for any team he is on.

Claesson was also beyond solid. He made the right reads, played physical and added some offense.

Reactions: kovazub94

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I’m not seeing this mistake ridden game from ADA.

He made some mistakes, but I feel like these are getting magnified due to reputation rather than the gravity of the actual mistakes.

The 2nd goal against was hardly his fault (slow change, probably not the best shot selection and Zucc falling asleep, no excuse to get caught like that)

He fell on a flukey play and then made a bad pinch later.
He also had a couple elite break out passes. Including one in the first where he had 3 guys bearing down on him and he passed from behind his net to an open buch to get out of that spot.

And I’m pretty sure he was the one that sprang kreider right before that goal against. It’s hard to tell from the replay.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It's funny how different I saw ada vs the rest of ya. All year I'm saying how great and smart and low risk he's playing...and then last .ight happens and everyone is like..he played well except for a few bad plays...and I'm like... He had a lot more than a few bad plays.

I think it's also important to note that I still think his worse game, last night, was still better than any game pionk or shattenkirk has played this far.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Ada made a number of bad pinches...he just got burned on one..but it wasn't the only one.
It’s part of learning at the NHL level for an offensive defenseman.. at other levels he was able to use his speed to get back in time. In the NHL that’s harder. These are the “growing pains” everyone seems to be okay when playing the young guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad