GDT: #4 - 10/11/18 | sharks @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Haven't really thought about it.

What does that have to do with the idea that we can't ice more than one?

Whether it's Quinn or management, I think it's pretty clear that Shattenkirk and ADA are competing with each other. I think it's also pretty clear that Staal has to be convicted of murder to sit.

I'm going to disagree with the bolded for now.

If management is trying to get more out of ADA and Shattenkirk, it would be a bad idea to send the message that all they have to do to stay in the lineup is outperform Staal.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm going to disagree with the bolded for now.

If management is trying to get more out of ADA and Shattenkirk, it would be a bad idea to send the message that all they have to do to stay in the lineup is outperform Staal.

To me, again, you play your six best.

Staal isn't in our ten best.
He has a clause Against

I think the Rangers kind of tied their own hands already.

Excuses.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I can name plenty of teams playing more than one.

I go back to the idea that we had to choose between Stralman and Boyle (same management) because both move the puck well and Girardi needs to be in to do defense things. And then we had to have Yandle on the third pair because McDonagh puts up points and Staal has to do the defense things.

You don't make the OFD compete with the OFD and the DFD compete with the DFD. You play your six best.
Stralman, who had 13 points that season, is now part of this conversation?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stralman, who had 13 points that season, is now part of this conversation?

Fair enough.

I just don't see the Rangers ever putting both Shattenkirk and ADA in the top 4 even though they both should be because they're seen as similar.

It's ok to be redundant if you're a defensive player or outright useless, but not if you're an offensive player. And it's not just the Rangers, it's still a thing around the league, (that idiot in Philly keeps benching Gostibehere because they already have Provorov, for example) but I feel like the Rangers do it.

Shattenkirk is scratched and it's immediately about ADA. He said it himself. Why is there competition between them? Why can't they both play big minutes?

Reactions: Off Sides

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
So Chytil is now on neither pp unit and getting 4th line duties. We’re benching guys left and right except for staal. KZB line broken up after first two games.

How is this different than what AV would do? We’re supposed to be rebuilding no?
Did you miss the rookie center on the second line?

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Shattenkirk is scratched and it's immediately about ADA. He said it himself.

Maybe because ADA is the right-handed defenseman coming out of the skybox. I wager that if Shattenkirk ever gets sat after McQuaid gets the night off, Shattenkirk will say that McQuaid deserves another game.

Reactions: haveandare

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe because ADA is the right-handed defenseman coming out of the skybox. I wager that if Shattenkirk ever gets sat after McQuaid gets the night off, Shattenkirk will say that McQuaid deserves another game.
Possibly

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Why can't all of Shattenkirk, ADA and Pionk all play RD in the same game? Give them Skjei, Smith and Claesson or move McQuaid over?

I guess I am crazy but I really think that would work way better than whatever they are going to do. If it worked they do not have to extend McQuaid or replace him next off-season. And even if they do not like the idea of 3 smaller RD the trade value of any of them would go up, again if it worked. Plus then they could decide based on opponent which of McQuaid or Claesson to play.

Or I guess they can not do that, ditch one of Pionk or ADA, extend McQuaid or replace him with another McQuaid and pretty much go through the same annual thing of what are they going to do with the RD.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
So Chytil is now on neither pp unit and getting 4th line duties. We’re benching guys left and right except for staal. KZB line broken up after first two games.

How is this different than what AV would do? We’re supposed to be rebuilding no?
I must be the only one not gulping huge drafts of the Chytil Kool-Aid right now. That's no commentary at all on whether he's highly skilled or talented, or what he may eventually be. But right now, from what I've seen, he spends way too much time standing around in the offensive zone waiting for other guys to get him the puck, and way too much time in the defensive end standing around somewhat near his check without actually covering anyone effectively. And the team is 0-3. So... tough love. Got no problem with that.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why can't all of Shattenkirk, ADA and Pionk all play RD in the same game? Give them Skjei, Smith and Claesson or move McQuaid over?

I guess I am crazy but I really think that would work way better than whatever they are going to do. If it worked they do not have to extend McQuaid or replace him next off-season. And even if they do not like the idea of 3 smaller RD the trade value of any of them would go up, again if it worked. Plus then they could decide based on opponent which of McQuaid or Claesson to play.

Or I guess they can not do that, ditch one of Pionk or ADA, extend McQuaid or replace him with another McQuaid and pretty much go through the same annual thing of what are they going to do with the RD.

I am listening to the Spittin Chiclets podcast with Adam Oates and he is currently discussing how so many players bobble and mishandle the puck and how if there is a D to D pass and then a pass is made in someones feet that is a major mistake. Interesting that we are seeing that pretty regularly with Staal

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I am listening to the Spittin Chiclets podcast with Adam Oates and he is currently discussing how so many players bobble and mishandle the puck and how if there is a D to D pass and then a pass is made in someones feet that is a major mistake. Interesting that we are seeing that pretty regularly with Staal

I've been seeing that pretty regularly with Skjei and Shattenkirk too.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Someone is getting their first points of the season in the standings tonight.

Nov 5, 2007
Jersey City
I must be the only one not gulping huge drafts of the Chytil Kool-Aid right now. That's no commentary at all on whether he's highly skilled or talented, or what he may eventually be. But right now, from what I've seen, he spends way too much time standing around in the offensive zone waiting for other guys to get him the puck, and way too much time in the defensive end standing around somewhat near his check without actually covering anyone effectively. And the team is 0-3. So... tough love. Got no problem with that.

I feel the same. He's an amazing passer but still need a ton of work. I'm also not as high on Buch as other posters.

Reactions: CaptBubba5

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shatty in the shame box :baghead:

But the team should respond to this by playing better, unless more of them want to join him.

Shattenkirk.gif

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

To McQuaid's credit I think he makes some decent passes in/out of his own zone and I do think maybe those go away if he was moved over.

I have only seen Claesson here and there but he seems to like to hang back a bit but he also does not seem to make risky passes.

My rant is more about them moving forward, they have had a need for RD for a long time, not sure I have seen them have 3 natural RDs all play the same game in a long time before this season. I'd love for them to be able to fix that long term or at least take the lack of RD other teams have to their advantage on the trade market.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He had the secondary assist on the ENG against the Preds and the primary assist on Buch’s powerplay goal against Carolina. I’d attribute both goals to Mika and ADA more than Buch, but that’s just me. He’s been fine offensively, but he’s been dog**** on defense. His effort there is what’s been most disappointing for someone that’s supposed to be a leader.

He has always been bad on defense.

He hustles back to backcheck which makes people think he's good on defense but generally his positioning and intensity int he defensive zone isn't very good. This may be something he has to "learn" under the new coaching staff since under AV that was pretty par for course and he expected his forwards to fly the zone at a moments notice rather than engage much

Reactions: mike14

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Pionk aint playing tonight my dude. For some reason they're playing Claesson without taking Staal out of the lineup.

Ugh didn't see the lineup posted right before that post. Practice lines were SMith-Pionk...

Claesson isn't bad though, he could be our next Hunwick

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Haven't liked Shattenkirk's play so far this year, but his attitude about the scratch is admirable. Hope he can get his play going again.

Hopefully it sends a message to not just him but everyone else that Quinn is not playing around. It's bold but even with this rebuild, players need to be giving it their all now.

Reactions: haveandare

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Stop giving out NMCs to defensemen. Staal is worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->