Kings Article: 3rd Round Draft Pick G Matthew Villalta: “I Was Expecting to be a Later Round Pick"

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Los Angeles Kings Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yanetti spoke exclusively with Frozen Royalty about their 3rd round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, goaltender Matthew Villalta.

Villalta also spoke exclusively with Frozen Royalty about his style of play, what made him so good last season, his thoughts about being selected in the third round and by the Kings, and more.

Read all about it at:

LA Kings 2017 3rd Round Draft Pick G Matthew Villalta: “I Was Expecting to be a Later Round Pick”

Last edited:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Yanetti said that Villalta came out of nowhere last season.

“He came from relative obscurity,” he noted. “He wasn’t one of those players who was touted since he was twelve years old. He was a guy who, each year, improved and improved and improved. Even this year, when he made the team, which wasn’t a foregone conclusion in the beginning of the year, there was a chance he was going to be playing Tier 2. But he goes in and wins a spot on the team. He was going to backup a veteran, and had no chance to play with a such a strong veteran there. But what does he do? He goes on a 22-3 run. I don’t find that kind of linear progression, that kind of rise from obscurity, to winning 20 games in a row, almost, incidental or happenstance.

It’s going to be a battle between me and Raaymakers,” he said. “It’s going to be his fourth year in the league. He’s going to want to be the starter, too, so he’s going to work really hard over the summer. I’m going to make sure that I’m working as hard as I can to be successful this coming season. I’m looking forward to it.”

“It’s going to be a good competition, fighting for that number one job,” he added. “I’m not sure what’s going to happen, but I’m just going to show up to camp and show everyone that I can be the starter.”

Close friend and mentor Joseph Raaymakers wasn't drafted, so he's asked for a trade from the Greyhounds in order to get more playing time and hopefully more interest from NHL teams. So now it's Villalta's starter job to lose.

Nice draft day story here.

Jewels from the Crown is doing their annual 25 under 25 Kings prospect countdown and Matt Villalta comes in at #21.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad