Prospect Info: 3rd Overall Pick. Stutzle vs Byfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I still remember teams wanting Lamar Jackson to convert to a wide receiver during the NFL draft lol.

Anyways, Stutzle is out partying in Germany celebrating that LA got the second pick. Is AJ even a reliable source?

He's well connected to the juniors leagues and scouts, so it doesn't surprise me.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Well he doesn’t strike me as a liar. Why even say it?

I doubt he's lying and I'm sure those conversations that he discussed took place, but it's not as if the source is Rob Blake. We have no idea who the source is. Stutzle was excited how the lottery went down, Marco Sturm is part of LA's coaching staff. Seems like that's what we know. You have others saying they think Byfield will be the pick. Rumours at this time of year are just a giant game of telephone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why would Stutzle even care? He doesn’t know where he’s being picked and has probably never even been to LA
LA has german ties in the org, he likely interviewed with them and of the teams he did so with may have like what they said the most, not having been to LA myself, i can still tell you id rather move there then Detroit,

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
LA had the opportunity to take the big German Seider RD at last yr's draft, one pick before Detroit & took a centre Turcotte instead. Not sure this German connection means anything, but keep our fingers crossed.

Reactions: derriko and jhutter

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Simmer speaking from experiecnce. i mean why would stutzle be so certain (alledgedly) that he was going to be a king if it was just "assistant coaches have no sway" yeah Sturm might like him, that doesnt mean the rest of the team does not
Ok I deeply regret shining a smidgen of doubt in that general direction. :)

Reactions: aragorn

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Very little first hand knowledge or viewings of either of these guys, but you've gotta be excited and happy about whichever one we get.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Very little first hand knowledge or viewings of either of these guys, but you've gotta be excited and happy about whichever one we get.
Cautiously optimistic until we can confirm these are the two in the 2nd tier Dorion was talking about. It's pretty likely, but there isn't much to comfort me with this team.

Reactions: Ed Wood

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m interested in watching these guys for the month+ they’ll be playing prior to the draft, that will make many differences on team lists.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
It is. And I know it sounds ridiculous that it happens but there was recently a study done on commentating in soccer. Commentators were like 3 times as likely to praise a players “power, speed and stamina” if they were black. While praising white players intelligence and creativity 5 times a much as they were praising those same attributes in black players.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I’m interested in watching these guys for the month+ they’ll be playing prior to the draft, that will make many differences on team lists.
I don't think there will be any junior hockey in North America before the draft. The CHL is a gate-driven league and I doubt we'll see crowds back before September/October. DEL could start in August though, which will probably result in some recency bias.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't think there will be any junior hockey in North America before the draft. The CHL is a gate-driven league and I doubt we'll see crowds back before September/October. DEL could start in August though, which will probably result in some recency bias.
Training camps are opening in September, and the league startup date is “set” for Oct 1st, the NHL draft won’t be until the end of October at the earliest, possibly November. There will almost assuredly be hockey in nearly every draft league prior to the draft.

Like you said, DEL and other European leagues are starting earlier than that.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So more fuel to the fire.

Pretty much the opposite of Dorion's interview when he just briefly mentioned spending time in Germany and Stutzle being a good player, while he went in-depth about how good Byfield is. Maybe each will get their guy.

Edit: Apparently David Amber asked him about Stutzle first

Reactions: derriko

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
LA had the opportunity to take the big German Seider RD at last yr's draft, one pick before Detroit & took a centre Turcotte instead. Not sure this German connection means anything, but keep our fingers crossed.
Difference being Sieder wasn't ranked that high and Detroit reached a bit relative to where most services had him. LA wouldn't be reaching by taking eiyhet guy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That Pronman comment on Byfield is so ridiculous.

The reason he has a lot of doubters is so obvious - he didn't perform well on the big stages (WJC, TPG, Hlinka), where all of the casual observers see the top prospects.

Has nothing to do with race. Jones in 2013 got nowhere near the same negativity, even though it was more deserving in his case. Why? He had an amazing WJC, despite an underwhelming season in Portland as an 18YR old.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
That Pronman comment on Byfield is so ridiculous.

The reason he has a lot of doubters is so obvious - he didn't perform well on the big stages (WJC, TPG, Hlinka), where all of the casual observers see the top prospects.

Has nothing to do with race. Jones in 2013 got nowhere near the same negativity, even though it was more deserving in his case. Why? He had an amazing WJC, despite an underwhelming season in Portland as an 18YR old.

Agreed on Pronmon.

Byfield to me played well enough at the Hlinka. 5 points in 5 games.

However your point stands on the WJHC, and top prospects game.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I still remember teams wanting Lamar Jackson to convert to a wide receiver during the NFL draft lol.

Anyways, Stutzle is out partying in Germany celebrating that LA got the second pick. Is AJ even a reliable source?
They wanted Tebow to move to running back and he’s Casper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad