3rd line competition.......post scrimmage

member 96824

No Tim Thomas effectively ended that...

We still have what, 15 guys left? They have one more run in them before the Cap causes problems next year.

Just enough time to "still be hungover." :naughty:

I'm itching for hockey, I miss the debates!

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
What's everyone's problem with Chris Bourque? The kid has produced in the AHL at nearly a PPG level for over 400 games, good wheels, works hard. For a third line guy, I'm not expecting a world class player. Unless he comes in and flat out sucks, I'm on the Bourque bandwagon.

Would I like to see a better player at that spot? Sure... but right now, he's the best option we have. And for a team so close to to the cap ceiling, we don't have a lot of other options to turn to.

It won't surprise me to see Bourque play well with Kelly and Peverly. They should produce a good number of points for a third line and still be defensively responsible with Kelly at center.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I thought Pouliot was great here and a pleasant surprise. Not really sure what people were expecting.

I agree, I wasn`t a massive fan of the Pouliot signing initially but I appreciated his effort and the guy produced more than enough pts to earn 1 mill. Were pretty spoiled here, there are merely a handful of teams who receive the production from their third lines the way this team`s 3rd produces yet it seems some here believe that a 3rd line 'should' all be posting 40-50pts.

We`ll see what happens, Bourque`s put up great numbers in the AHL, it`s never translated to the NHL, maybe it will this time. I personally don`t care who`s on what line as long as they make this team better but I`ll not start banging the drum for Bourque until the real games begin and he shows a game that proves he can play at this level.

Poo took some wacky penalties, he was like Bambi on the blades at times but I never questioned his effort, and I can`t say that for many on this team last year, alot of passengers IMO

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
I'll take Cluade's comments after the game. When asked who stood out the most, the first player he said was Bourque. To me...that just shows Claude has made his mind up that Bourque is the guy and it's his spot to lose.

As for goalies, I don't think the score should really be taken into account. There was more than enough "cheeky" goals that got let in so I'd say they weren't taking it too seriously.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Bourque earned his spot on this team and I'm excited to see him preform. I was origanally hoping to see Spooner due to his higher ceiling but he will get his shot on call ups and next year. This is Chris time.... GL

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
Max Sauve has played LW for the last two seasons and I think he should be the third line LW unless we make a deal. Still think Julien doesn't like him. Chris Bourque not the answer, but at least he can score and we'll see how long he last.

I've been saying this forever. Sauve is the real deal, if he can stay healthy. We keep saying that we are too slow and lack pure offensive skills and this guy has both speed and hands. I wish we would give him the spot on the 3rd line and I wish he would get some PP time. I also agree that Chris Bourque is not the answer.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I've been saying this forever. Sauve is the real deal, if he can stay healthy. We keep saying that we are too slow and lack pure offensive skills and this guy has both speed and hands. I wish we would give him the spot on the 3rd line and I wish he would get some PP time. I also agree that Chris Bourque is not the answer.

There hasn't been too many posts from fans here that I have read that go against your thoughts of him being the "real deal"

This has, IMO, been simply a case of a player never being able to stay healthy long enough so that the big boys feel a confidence that he can play full time NHL minutes and until he does, skilled or not, I think a spot will be taken by whomever is durable and not consistently on the mend

mashmont

May 27, 2011
Massachusetts
I don't want to be negative.

But it is unrealistic to think this fast pace schedule won't cause more injuries than normal. I say we see our fare share of Suave. Spooner , and Caron.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
We`ll see what happens, Bourque`s put up great numbers in the AHL, it`s never translated to the NHL, maybe it will this time. I personally don`t care who`s on what line as long as they make this team better but I`ll not start banging the drum for Bourque until the real games begin and he shows a game that proves he can play at this level.

His NHL production, or lack of NHL production certainly doesn't give you optimism, but I also didn't watch him play enough in his previous stops to know what types of lines he was on or how many minutes he was actually getting in those games.

It might also be important to remember that Bourque is a guy that was a 2nd round pick, and was thought to have some decent talent coming out of BU. That being said, he turned pro way too early, and he never gave himself the chance to develop at the college level. He really was forced to develop at the pro level, and he turned himself into a very good AHL player. Granted it hasn't translated to the NHL level yet, but it's possible that he is just coming into his own as a player and just needs the opportunity to show what he can do.

I think a chance to play with Boston's third line, which is very talented and gets a good amount of minutes, is a make or break chance for him, and one which he will hopefully take advantage of.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
There hasn't been too many posts from fans here that I have read that go against your thoughts of him being the "real deal"

Well I don't ever remember reading bad comments about Sauve, but usually when we talk top forward prospects it's always Caron, Knight, Khokhlachev and Spooner.

This has, IMO, been simply a case of a player never being able to stay healthy long enough so that the big boys feel a confidence that he can play full time NHL minutes and until he does, skilled or not, I think a spot will be taken by whomever is durable and not consistently on the mend

Yep he needs to stay healthy so I don't know if there's something about his game that he could change or if it's simply bad luck. That being said, I don't understand why it would stop management from giving him another chance. If he gets injured again, it's easy to call someone else up. It's low risk, high reward in my opinion. Can't say I'm not too excited about Chris Bourque but wouldn't be too upset if he surprised me :)

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
It won't surprise me to see Bourque play well with Kelly and Peverly. They should produce a good number of points for a third line and still be defensively responsible with Kelly at center.

This right here. The way the three of them were moving around and playing in the scrimmage gives me some hope for Bourque making an impact on that line. Pev's even played with Bourque previously.

I do believe that our third line is the best in the entire league. Perfect mix of speed, skill and grit which is what you really want on a Bruins 3rd line.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
This right here. The way the three of them were moving around and playing in the scrimmage gives me some hope for Bourque making an impact on that line. Pev's even played with Bourque previously.

I do believe that our third line is the best in the entire league. Perfect mix of speed, skill and grit which is what you really want on a Bruins 3rd line.

Maybe the Bouque-Kelly-Peverley line will be the new Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder :yo:

That line came out of nowhere and quickly became one of the best in the entire league in... was it the 08-09 season?

Not a prediction.. just a hope :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->