3rd line center poll

In hindsight what route would you choose as the search for a 3rd line center continues?

• Total voters

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Because he makes to much and signed to long for what he’s bringing.

3.75m for a 30 point defensively responsible wing who can move up and down the line up and has untapped potential is fine. And the moment it ceases being fine its easily moved.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because he makes to much and signed to long for what he’s bringing.

He can bring more if they find a fit for everyone and until the cap is needed for something better, no reason to move him.

He's a defensively responsible top 9 winger that has produced in a top 6 role with talented players in the past. Having those type of players in depth roles is beneficial as long as you can afford it.

I can see him fitting in with any of Geno, McCann, Cullen, or Bjugstad at center, just need to find the fit on the other side.

Personally, I would like to see a Pearson-Geno-Rust line for a bit, but need to make the other lines work. Maybe:

Jake-Sid-Simon/Horny
Pearson-Geno-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Kessel
Blueger-Cullen-Horny/Simon

There are a lot of options that can work. It's up to Sully now to see what works best.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Regular season you have an argument. In the playoffs he would’ve provided a step up it healthy. Then again, last year if Brassard is healthy I think we beat the Caps.

If Murray played like his first two playoff years we win also. Murray was badly outplayed that series and it still went to OT in game 6. You can’t win them all and all you can do is give your team a chance to win which Rutherford did. This second guessing game is pointless and unproductive. Anyone can be an arm chair quarterback on Monday. I was glad we didn’t sign Bonino and Rutherford knows when to move on which Shero never did.

Love how he added young players around the core.

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice and Turin

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He can bring more if they find a fit for everyone and until the cap is needed for something better, no reason to move him.

He's a defensively responsible top 9 winger that has produced in a top 6 role with talented players in the past. Having those type of players in depth roles is beneficial as long as you can afford it.

I can see him fitting in with any of Geno, McCann, Cullen, or Bjugstad at center, just need to find the fit on the other side.

Personally, I would like to see a Pearson-Geno-Rust line for a bit, but need to make the other lines work. Maybe:

Jake-Sid-Simon/Horny
Pearson-Geno-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Kessel
Blueger-Cullen-Horny/Simon

There are a lot of options that can work. It's up to Sully now to see what works best.

If Bjugs stays at center, I'd like to see McCann get some shifts with Malkin. He might be the best possible replacement for Hagelin in that spot. Defensively responsible. Fast. Flashes skill. And can take some faceoffs for him in the D-zone and on his weak side.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
Pearson is basically Hagelin except he scores goals and the coach doesn’t use him on the PK. (Even though LA used him.)

Really don’t understand why he is a whipping boy.

DK suggesting Pearson might be watching from the press box once Malkin comes back. Paying a player 3.75 mil to watch the games will always create a whipping boy.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'm not sold on either to even vote.

Bjugs as a winger with that reach sounds pretty good - but he seems to bring nothing at all in the C spot.

In hindsight? I love the idea of seeking out teams willing to retain on those 4-6M guys who haven't worked out. I didn't like the idea of Bones @ 4M at the time, and I'm not sure he's worked out so well since. However, there's a lot of fringe 2C's (or older former 1Cs) out there teams are not so thrilled with who are hitting their cap with 5 or 6M for anywhere between 1-3+ more seasons. Those are the type of players who might work well as a Penguin 3C. Though that was obviously the idea with Brassard....man what a disappointment. It's also tough to find teams willing to retain.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
3.75m for a 30 point defensively responsible wing who can move up and down the line up and has untapped potential is fine. And the moment it ceases being fine its easily moved.

Emphasis on down the line up. From 2nd, to 3rd to 4th tonight. Also with rumors he will be odd man out when Malkin returns.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
DK knows nothing. If this team scratches Pearson for Wilson they’re moronic.

Guess they think Wilson is better suited for the grind of the 4th and they wouldn’t be wrong, hes one of the only guys who hits and can fight. But I hear you. That’s one of those in a vacuum things. That’s like Sprong playing on the 4th line. If you’re gonna a play him there you might as well get rid of him.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I liked the Brassard trade when it happened. I like the idea that GMJR goes for it...in this case the experiment failed but the thought process was the correct one. I also like that GMJR isn't afraid to try and correct mistakes that he made.

I also like the concept of not hanging on to all the non-core players and trying to get new blood in.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Guess they think Wilson is better suited for the grind of the 4th and they wouldn’t be wrong, hes one of the only guys who hits and can fight. But I hear you. That’s one of those in a vacuum things. That’s like Sprong playing on the 4th line. If you’re gonna a play him there you might as well get rid of him.

Pearson will be fine anywhere in the line-up.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I went with Bjugstad / McCann. Only in my scenario, Vancouver uses hindsight and takes Pastrnak with their first round pick. So now I have Bjugstad as 3c and Pasta playing wing with Malkin.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
He has the 7th most goals on the team for a forward..

Also on pace to what Hags put up in the regular season the past few years.

He’s invisible. Brassard was 7th before that disappointment left.

I wasn’t impressed with Brassard and I’m not impressed with Pearson, both invisible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad