3rd line center poll

In hindsight what route would you choose as the search for a 3rd line center continues?

• Total voters

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
Again...do we?

Ok Bonino and Bjugstad are pretty comparable no? One is that much better than the other IMO. In the context of this discussion you’re suggesting that the difference in value between the two is.....Reaves, Cole, Wilson, Gustavsson, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths. See how rediculas that sounds? But if you’re trying to say we now have a top 6 winger in Bjugstad ill say to you we could have a much better winger than Bjugstad for the price of Reaves, Cole, Wilson, Gustavsson, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ok Bonino and Bjugstad are pretty comparable no? One is that much better than the other IMO. In the context of this discussion you’re suggesting that the difference in value between the two is.....Reaves, Cole, Wilson, Gustavsson, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths. See how rediculas that sounds? But if you’re trying to say we now have a top 6 winger in Bjugstad ill say to you we could have a much better winger than Bjugstad for the price of Reaves, Cole, Wilson, Gustavsson, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths
No I'm not.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Are you form Pittsburgh bro? Lol

Draft picks have saved a team from bankruptcy
yeah. But not in the mid to late 20's. And again, they have been building for a while. They can't just keep selling every decent player they have. They need to play games right now. A draft pick can't help them do that, but Galchenyuk can.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For the record i didnt make it up.
sorry, pretend a ridiculous scenario is a reasonable discussion. And ignore the addition of McCann, a year of Brassard and a year of Sheahan, while including a playoff with Cole and Reaves in the counter option.

But i was right though.

oh okay. I would hope so, since you're making up my opinion as we go so it's easier to argue against.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
And then lose Cole in the summer anyways. Again, too many things at play with this question.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
sorry, pretend a ridiculous scenario is a reasonable discussion. And ignore the addition of McCann, a year of Brassard and a year of Sheahan, while including a playoff with Cole and Reaves in the counter option.

oh okay. I would hope so, since you're changing my point as we go to make it easier to dispute.

They gonna have to tear down the whole site if you get rid of that aspect of it.

But just we are clear.

Bjugstad, Mccann, Year of Brassard, Year of Sheanhan > Bonino, Reaves, Cole, Wilson, Gustavsson, 1st, 2nd 3rd, two 4ths

That’s your official stance?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They gonna have to tear down the whole site if you get rid of that aspect of it.

But just we are clear.

Bjugstad, Mccann, Year of Brassard, Year of Sheanhan > Bonino, Reaves, Cole, Wilson, Gustavsson, 1st, 2nd 3rd, two 4ths

That’s your official stance?
I have no idea, as I said from the start. We've had Bjug and McCann for 2 games. We don't know what else happens if we sign Bones. We don't know what we end up getting for Reaves or anything else really. It's just too many questions to have a definitive answer.

Pens3peat

Jun 15, 2017
Cole cap $4.25.

Reaves cap $2.78.

If they are still on the team, the Pens would be over the cap.

so, this whole hindsight thing is asinine.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I would have re-signed both Daley and Bonino and not done the rest, which includes keeping Cole and no Reaves.

Reminds me of what Shero did that ruined this team by not moving on from players and resigning players like Kunitz and Dupuis. No I don’t keep any of those guys. This team is much better off now with young players infused into our lineup like Bjugstad 26, Pearson 26, McCann 22, Blueger 24, Pettersson 22, Riikola 25, Simon 24, Aston-Reese 24 instead of holding onto aging vets like Daley 35, Bonino 30, Cole 29, and Reaves 32. Glad Rutherford had more sense then that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The easy move was signing Bonino at the time.

The smart move was a little more complex.

I thought JR was wrong to not resign a player in his late 20s that was a serious integral part of those back to backs. Especially with no prospects to fill that gap.

My main contention was the cost of centers at this level. As we’ve seen over the past two years, that is certainly true.

That being said, on paper both this year and last year our center depth is at most lateral to what it was in 15-16 and 16-17.

I think we are a better team if we resign Bonino due to being able to easily fill the holes of a roster with the picks / futures we traded. It would’ve also given the cap structure to not afford signings like Hunwick and JJ.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Ultimately, I would have been fine with keeping Bonino. We'll have to see how McCann and Bjugstad play though.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
I have no idea, as I said from the start. We've had Bjug and McCann for 2 games. We don't know what else happens if we sign Bones. We don't know what we end up getting for Reaves or anything else really. It's just too many questions to have a definitive answer.

I know what happens if we sign Bonino, we save a ton of assets and time.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Reminds me of what Shero did that ruined this team by not moving on from players and resigning players like Kunitz and Dupuis. No I don’t keep any of those guys. This team is much better off now with young players infused into our lineup like Bjugstad 26, Pearson 26, McCann 22, Blueger 24, Pettersson 22, Riikola 25, Simon 24, Aston-Reese 24 instead of holding onto aging vets like Daley 35, Bonino 30, Cole 29, and Reaves 32. Glad Rutherford had more sense then that.

But they could have still did both, just last season saw nothing done worth while. They actually stripped themselves from competing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad