3rd jersey speculation

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'm a major jersey nerd and thought it'd be cool to have a thread on what we predict or would like to see from the new 3rds now that they're confirmed to be coming next season. Would welcome any other jersey design talk too. I imagine these will be pretty similar to the previous black flag jerseys, probably with some sort of minor tweak like the red-on-red flag pattern instead of the grey. My hope is that they get rid of the grey all together and allow some white as I think that would really pop instead of the sort of drab color scheme of the original.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think a black version of the aways is definitely possible. They seemed so proud of the red on red flags (I don't really care for them) when they unveiled the new homes so I still think those might carry over. But if you invert the black and white on the aways that's probably a decent looking jersey, though maybe a bit too NJ Devils-y.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

I could go on a somewhat verbose rant here, but I feel like this is an instance where a single image best depicts my take on that. To wit:

giphy.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Going to be the Canes logo but in Whalers colors
Part of me wants to sit back and watch HFB burn after the Canes come out in the green Whale jerseys to Brass Bonanza in the PNC Arena in front of all us 'undeserving' fans. We already saw one meltdown when we sold some shirts in the Eye and played BB at a break in play, but I think that one would top them all. Maybe we can break them out when we play Boston, just to twist the knife a little more for the away broadcast.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Correct me if I’m wrong as I don’t pay nearly as much attention to other leagues as the NHL. He said that very soon after becoming the team’s owner and fully admitting he doesn’t know much about this league. The other big four leagues seem to have “throwback” type nights where they wear jerseys from the teams history. The NHL doesn’t do that really. Maybe Dundon’s comment was wishful thinking without understanding that the NHL seems to stick to a rotation of three jerseys barring special circumstances like anniversaries and Winter Classics/Stadium Series games. Perhaps he didn’t say it to mean it would be a permanent fixture, but rather “why not show our past like other leagues”

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think Dundo is pretty seriously misreading the market if he believes that rolling our team out in Whalers-themed gear is gonna fly. It's one thing to sell retro jerseys in the Eye; it's a completely different thing to put them on the ice. But we'll see. He said he'd do it, and he tends to do what he says he's gonna do.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Correct me if I’m wrong as I don’t pay nearly as much attention to other leagues as the NHL. He said that very soon after becoming the team’s owner and fully admitting he doesn’t know much about this league. The other big four leagues seem to have “throwback” type nights wear they wear jerseys from the teams history. The NHL doesn’t do that really. Maybe Dundon’s comment was wishful thinking without understanding that the NHL seems to stick to a rotation of three jerseys barring special circumstances like anniversaries and Winter Classics/Stadium Series games. Perhaps he didn’t say it to mean it would be a permanent fixture, but rather “why not show our past like other leagues”
He did also mention something regarding a stadium series type game shortly after buying a team, so it's a possibility there but that's also about the only place I can see that happening.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
My guess would be the design for this jersey pre-dates Dundon being owner, and I'm doubting they had time for an overhaul when he took over. I'm guessing relatively close to the previous blacks, perhaps with more color as mentioned. Probably much ado about nothing, and every small decision seems to be here at this point.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
My guess would be the design for this jersey pre-dates Dundon being owner, and I'm doubting they had time for an overhaul when he took over. I'm guessing relatively close to the previous blacks, perhaps with more color as mentioned. Probably much ado about nothing, and every small decision seems to be here at this point.

I mostly agree, but the fact that Dundon specifically mentioned the possibility of putting Whalers themed jerseys on the ice gives me pause.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'm a major jersey nerd and thought it'd be cool to have a thread on what we predict or would like to see from the new 3rds now that they're confirmed to be coming next season. Would welcome any other jersey design talk too. I imagine these will be pretty similar to the previous black flag jerseys, probably with some sort of minor tweak like the red-on-red flag pattern instead of the grey. My hope is that they get rid of the grey all together and allow some white as I think that would really pop instead of the sort of drab color scheme of the original.
A Canes motif with Whaler colours or a Canes colour scheme with a Whalers logo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad