Prospect Info: #38, Gustav Lindstrom

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am not saying he doesn't make the team better. I am saying on a real team he is middling average at best but he is paid like a top pairing. His cap is not a problem now but when his contract comes around is he going to accept salary and term grounded in the reality of his being an average middle pairing D? If so then no worries.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Through a game and a half you can definitely see why the wings are higher on Lindstrom than the stats show. He looks really solid defensively so far for a guy his age. He definitely has a bit of a mean streak, hes not Seider but hell throw his weight around and clear the crease. Could turn into one of those useful but not flashy guys that people dont take notice of until they've played for a while.

Maybe Stralman is a good comparison for that?

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
My only concern is if there is a single offensively-minded defenseman in the entire system? Yeah Hronek can provide some decent offense on the 2nd pairing (when we get a real #1 and #2 dman) and Cholowski just doesn't seem like he's going to cut it.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Through a game and a half you can definitely see why the wings are higher on Lindstrom than the stats show. He looks really solid defensively so far for a guy his age. He definitely has a bit of a mean streak, hes not Seider but hell throw his weight around and clear the crease. Could turn into one of those useful but not flashy guys that people dont take notice of until they've played for a while.

Maybe Stralman is a good comparison for that?

Don't see Strålman so much, he atleast used to be a better skater and a way better puck-handler. I'm abit hesitant to make the comparision but i see a smarter Quincey, he's got that mean streak and does most of his work away the puck while also being a capable passer.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Dekeyser is not paid like top pairing d.

I missed the game but glad to hear some positive things about Lindstrom. Hopefully he continues to develop!
$5M is about what a #2/3 D get paid on most teams, so I guess it can be considered top pair. (I just checked a bunch of teams on Capfriendly).

But as previously pointed out, his salary cap isn't an issue with his current contract, and the team doesn't have to sign him again if he doesn't fit in the cap scheme.

We're also assuming he recovers, which is not a given with back surgery. They didn't really give any details on what's wrong with his back either.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
DDK is probably one more injury away from LTIR. If not he will probably be put onto it this coming season when Johan Franzen comes off of it. The following year I see Nielsen going on when Zetterberg comes off. Incidentally that will be the year that we can all finally forget that Stephen Weiss was ever a thing.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I am not saying he doesn't make the team better. I am saying on a real team he is middling average at best but he is paid like a top pairing. His cap is not a problem now but when his contract comes around is he going to accept salary and term grounded in the reality of his being an average middle pairing D? If so then no worries.
Honestly with the slow build of the cap his contract is not that bad anymore. He's overpaid, but not by much. He's in a 5 way tie for 52nd highest paid D in the NHL. If he was making 4 million he'd be in the 90s which is probably about where he belongs, so that's about a $1 million overpay.

Back on track, I'm really happy with Lindstom's play. He may not produce much but he's already so steady for a rookie D.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Kid has been solid, cant complain yet. i bet they give him a 8 game taste, send him back, bring up Seider, 8 games, send back.. bring up Hicketts to finish then evaluate everyone.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kid has been solid, cant complain yet. i bet they give him a 8 game taste, send him back, bring up Seider, 8 games, send back.. bring up Hicketts to finish then evaluate everyone.

I dont think the ten game rule applies to him for some reason. Yzermans interview with Ken Kal he said itsnot relevant to Lindstrom but effects Seider

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I dont think the ten game rule applies to him for some reason. Yzermans interview with Ken Kal he said itsnot relevant to Lindstrom but effects Seider

ive never heard that before. there must be something lost in translation there, like he didnt understand the question or just brain-farted on it. that cant be right.

in any sense, i wouldnt want him up too long.. let him taste the NHL life and go back and work harder for next September. Dont want these kids around a losing culture during irrelevant games.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

ive never heard that before. there must be something lost in translation there, like he didnt understand the question or just brain-farted on it. that cant be right.

in any sense, i wouldnt want him up too long.. let him taste the NHL life and go back and work harder for next September. Dont want these kids around a losing culture during irrelevant games.

Lindstrom signed his ELC when he was 20 years old so he isn't eligible for an ELC slide.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: Gniwder

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
My only concern is if there is a single offensively-minded defenseman in the entire system? Yeah Hronek can provide some decent offense on the 2nd pairing (when we get a real #1 and #2 dman) and Cholowski just doesn't seem like he's going to cut it.

Tuomisto is lighting up the Finish junior league right now. Has a chance to be the all time scoring leader for defensemen in a season. I know the draft day buzz on him was as a physical defender, but he has some legit offensive tools. I asked Jokke Nevalainen from Dobber Prospects what he projected as:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He seems to have a glorious slapper (Tuomisto).
He also looks like he's a man among boys, literally.
But it's going to be at least 1 1/2 years before I get excited.
I want to see him as a 19-year old freshman in college. And then I want to see him do it in the AHL.
Chances are, he spends at least 2 years in college. Or why even go the NCAA route? Then another year in the AHL, most likely.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tuomisto is lighting up the Finish junior league right now. Has a chance to be the all time scoring leader for defensemen in a season. I know the draft day buzz on him was as a physical defender, but he has some legit offensive tools. I asked Jokke Nevalainen from Dobber Prospects what he projected as:

Good players his age do not stay in that league. There is a 17 year old kid born in 2002 in the upcoming draft who is already playing in a higher league than him.

I would not put much stock in that “record”.

That said, I have always thought of him as an offensive defenseman. Curious to see what he looks like playing college hockey next year. Going to reserve judgment until he is playing against better competition.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Good players his age do not stay in that league. There is a 17 year old kid born in 2002 in the upcoming draft who is already playing in a higher league than him.

I would not put much stock in that “record”.

That said, I have always thought of him as an offensive defenseman. Curious to see what he looks like playing college hockey next year. Going to reserve judgment until he is playing against better competition.

He is staying in that league so he remains NCAA eligible.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He is staying in that league so he remains NCAA eligible.

I still dont really get this decision though, it seems so weird for him to just play a year like this that is so below his skill level. If you value your education, why not play pro and just put money aside from your pay cheques to have a back up for tuition if something does happen? You know damn well being picked that high he is at least going to sign one entry level contract and make about 300 grand USD give or take.

If you end up busting but play a couple extra years of pro before you do it would be ridiculously easy to budget tuition money. Also, dont Finnish kids get free tuition? So he could literally go back to Finland and get a free education anyways?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I still dont really get this decision though, it seems so weird for him to just play a year like this that is so below his skill level. If you value your education, why not play pro and just put money aside from your pay cheques to have a back up for tuition if something does happen? You know damn well being picked that high he is at least going to sign one entry level contract and make about 300 grand USD give or take.

If you end up busting but play a couple extra years of pro before you do it would be ridiculously easy to budget tuition money. Also, dont Finnish kids get free tuition? So he could literally go back to Finland and get a free education anyways?

It's his personal decision. Your job is to deal with it.

He said that playing in Finland doesn't adjust him to small rink, so that's why North Amerca + education.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Because he can get his education while he’s playing now...besides...don’t worry about it

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's his personal decision. Your job is to deal with it.

He said that playing in Finland doesn't adjust him to small rink, so that's why North Amerca + education.

Because he can get his education while he’s playing now...besides...don’t worry about it

Yeah why discuss a high pick on a red wings forums choice to take a really unorthodox development path right guys? Lol get outta here with that crap.

"He said playing in Finland doesnt adjust him to small rink", except now hes playing an extra year in Finland in a league hes too good for instead of developing on a small rink. Why didnt he go to college this year?

"Because he can get his education while he’s playing now" Can he? Is he going to university while playing in that league?

I mean I guess we cant discuss it.

Why did Holland sign Abdelkader so long? "It's his personal decision. Your job is to deal with it."

Why did AA hold out for more money? "It's his personal decision. Your job is to deal with it."

Why did Holland trade a first for Qiuncey? "It's his personal decision. Your job is to deal with it."

Pretty stupid way of approaching a discussion forum

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah why discuss a high pick on a red wings forums choice to take a really unorthodox development path right guys? Lol get outta here with that crap.

"He said playing in Finland doesnt adjust him to small rink", except now hes playing an extra year in Finland in a league hes too good for instead of developing on a small rink. Why didnt he go to college this year?

Tuomisto is so young that he has to finish his Lukio (=kind of high-school) in Finland first to get a permit (or whatever you call it down there) on the American college. Just easy and simple goals, which have to be achieved before the next level. And you can't play pro.

One season in Finland + 3-4 at College (small rink) is more years at small rink, than all years in Finland.

I think that college route is pretty good, because you play less, can train more (especially Tuomisto, who is not physically very matured), and there is still also that educational aspect, which is good on your brain/mind.

Last edited:

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

"Because he can get his education while he’s playing now" Can he? Is he going to university while playing in that league?

I mean I guess we cant discuss it.

Why did Holland sign Abdelkader so long? "It's his personal decision. Your job is to deal with it."

Why did AA hold out for more money? "It's his personal decision. Your job is to deal with it."

Why did Holland trade a first for Qiuncey? "It's his personal decision. Your job is to deal with it."

Pretty stupid way of approaching a discussion forum
Yawn

Last edited:

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK

So he lives off of whatever it is a player signing his first contract in Finland makes, paying rent and living costs, still has too siphon away money too pay for a full education and say if Detroit doesn't sign him too a deal at all and in the course of waiting between now and his first year at College he shatters both of his knees ?

If anything, this decision shows a maturity that I value more right now than any perceived talent level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->