Post-Game Talk: #37: FLYERS at Panthers, Saturday, Dec. 29, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Yes. It's. The. Coach.
The roster could use some tweaks but yes coaching has been the problem. Head coach and special teams coaching.
This isn’t Mighty Ducks. The players have to perform.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
we are suddenly not better off

If one looks at Hakstol and post-Hakstol results against NYR, Columbus, and Tampa Bay, “we” are not better off.

The PK is dramatically improved.

The goaltending is dramatically improved.

The rest of the story is the same - players who don’t play with Giroux don’t score, and at crunch time, when it all comes down to talent, the Flyers fall short. Similar to the Sixers, really.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Knob and Lappy need to go ASAP too.

Both special teams are a joke and mostly thanks to the coaching.

PK has been a bit better lately, but its because of Gordon not dumbass Lappy. Id keep Gordo as PK coach next season if possible.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"The PK and goaltending have dramatically improved since the coach was fired"
or
"It's not the coaches fault"

Pick one.

Hakstol -> Gordon is an improvement, but Gordon -> a legit NHL coach will be a huge one too.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
PK has been a bit better lately, but its because of Gordon not dumbass Lappy. Id keep Gordo as PK coach next season if possible.
I should have said "have been a joke" instead of "are a joke". I was referring to their entire time here and the things we've seen them do, not just right now. The PK is better, but that definitely isn't thanks to Lappy.

So get rid of both and we'll be better off.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I should have said "have been a joke" instead of "are a joke". I was referring to their entire time here and the things we've seen them do, not just right now. The PK is better, but that definitely isn't thanks to Lappy.

So get rid of both and we'll be better off.

Knob has been such a friggin dissapointment. He was clearly propped up by McDavid in Erie.

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Knob has been such a friggin dissapointment. He was clearly propped up by McDavid in Erie.
Yeah, it was hard to tell what his impact was when Hakstol was here, but the fact that nothing is better now that he's gone shows Knob is a problem too.

Simmonds and Provorov being used the way they have been are fire-worthy offenses. Same with the lack of Sanheim.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
LX6JbBR.png

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
At 5v5 pretty much the whole team, to a man, has been "fine" at worst this season. Skaters anyway. Some players have played below talent level, but really only 1-2 guys have been a detriment.

Almost everything would point towards them being a cusp top-10 team in the NHL at 5v5.

Special teams and net-minding have been the issues, objectively.

But they have not been workable issues, because both are heading towards being historically awful. It has been 20 years since a team got such poor net-minding, and they are heading for one of the worst 5 special teams seasons since those stats began being recorded 40 years ago.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I love how after a 1 goal loss on the road we are suddenly not better off to some of the morons around here. I can't see their posts but I can tell what game they playing by the responses.

We are still 3-2-1 under Gordon with all 3 losses being 1 goal. They look better in every way shape and form except on the PP.

And under Hak they had a -24 goal difference because of all the blowouts.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Yes. It's. The. Coach.
The roster could use some tweaks but yes coaching has been the problem. Head coach and special teams coaching.

I was told the issue was Hakstol. It appears not. The team are playing harder for Gordon but that’s not good enough.

Anyway, I guess we’ll never know, big roster changes coming between now and next year.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Since you've mentioned the mighty ducks a few times, even they were coached well. Coaching matters! Look at Gallant what he did with Vegas.
Yes, coaching matters. But it won’t compensate for a mediocre roster, not in the long run anyway. The only fix for a bad roster is better players.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
We were all warned that Gordon was a bad coach and no one believed otherwise.

Still, Gordon has been a huge improvement over Hakstol. The players simply tuned him out, to the extent you can tune out someone who isn't saying anything. That's been a consistent theme coming from all the players; Gordon talks to them a lot more, communicates ideas better, guys are now buying in.

Gordon probably cost them two points in a 2-1 loss that Hakstol would have lost 5-1 (because he would have played Neuvirth in his 5th straight game and the team would have quit somewhere midway through).

If you don't think firing Hakstol was absolutely essential, you're just being a contrarian. He should have been gone two years earlier, minimum.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We were all warned that Gordon was a bad coach and no one believed otherwise.

Still, Gordon has been a huge improvement over Hakstol. The players simply tuned him out, to the extent you can tune out someone who isn't saying anything. That's been a consistent theme coming from all the players; Gordon talks to them a lot more, communicates ideas better, guys are now buying in.

Gordon probably cost them two points in a 2-1 loss that Hakstol would have lost 5-1 (because he would have played Neuvirth in his 5th straight game and the team would have quit somewhere midway through).

If you don't think firing Hakstol was absolutely essential, you're just being a contrarian. He should have been gone two years earlier, minimum.

Why are you wasting your time?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad