36 Jared McIsaac

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He really turned it on the 2nd half of the year. I think he has some untapped offensive potential, and can see him having a nice +1 draft season. He has some nice tools. I like this pick.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Zadina's teammate. Good skater and good offensive potential, I like this pick.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Great pick. All he wants to do is get better. He's gonna develop to whatever kind of player Detroit wants from him. He plays well in a certain system. If the players on the ice aren't playing the system then he gets stuck behind his net and makes mistakes. Ericssonesk! Good skater and a terrific hitter. My only problem with him is that he seems to have stopped growing.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
1. xxx
2. Hronek
3. Cholowski
4. McIsaac

Those three fill out the top 4 nicely. We still need another big defenseman, so hopefully that’s our priority next June.

Very happy with McIsaac, I think he will compliment Cholowski nicely eventually.

Reactions: NickH8

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I am very high on Hronek, but he shouldn't be penciled in as a second pairing guy. Right now I would be very happy and I think its realistic to see him more as a #3 guy on a good defense.
idk think that is doing a big disservice to him. 3rd pairing guys for me are average nhl level players you can find each year in free agency if need be. Id say 2nd pairing is a good player and 1st a great level type. Feel he is more 2nd than basic 3rd

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I absolutely hate the pick. Then again, I don't like low IQ players who consistently make poor decisions with the puck, especially when they play defense. I think Veleno and McIsaac show that the organization is far more interested in physical tools than hockey IQ.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I absolutely hate the pick. Then again, I don't like low IQ players who consistently make poor decisions with the puck, especially when they play defense. I think Veleno and McIsaac show that the organization is far more interested in physical tools than hockey IQ.

What defensmen did u want instead at this pick?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I like this guy, hes always been fairly highly rated but had a down year by his standards. Might be more of a safe pick, but the wings dont have any high end defensive, physical prospects on D. Hes the new age shut down D. Can move the puck, be physical and skate really well

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wright mentioned this guy as more defensive, "no so power-play, more of shut-down" guy. And "filled a hole" on the group.

I could think they are high on Cholowski and Hronek to be the skill defencemen.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
could be a good complimentary defender with our skilled guys. Thought i also heard them say his skating was pretty strong when they were talking about the selection. A strong skating defensive guy is perfect to pair with more skilled offensive dmen

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Hmm, that’s an interesting take. Berggren and Zadina don’t have the best physical tools, and both have good hockey IQ. So not sure that was a theme here. I don’t see IQ issues with Veleno, he has good vision, he’s just 1 dimensional right now and not much of a goal scorer.

I get the McIsaac concerns, but there was a pretty significant flaw on any defenseman left after 30 from what I could tell. I think Wilde has at least equally low IQ. Samuelson is pretty vanilla. Addison really can’t defend. Tychonick has some off ice issues from what I’ve heard.

Who would you have wanted at #36?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
New age shutdown D. He can skate and make a first pass. He might not be an offensive dynamo (tools are there though), but hes a hammer that can play 2 way hockey next to an offensive dman. I could see him and Cholowski being a good pairing based on their styles of play

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
New age shutdown D. He can skate and make a first pass. He might not be an offensive dynamo (tools are there though), but hes a hammer that can play 2 way hockey next to an offensive dman. I could see him and Cholowski being a good pairing based on their styles of play
this is what i hope for him. He could become a top pairing dman if he skates and plays defense well to compliment the more offensively gifted guy who is paired with him.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
this guy remind anyone else of Cory Emmerton a bit?

different strengths and different positions so it's not like a direct comparison or anything but both guys that were viewed as top 10ish coming into the draft year and slowly slid down the rankings throughout the year eventually being taken in the 2nd round at the draft,both rounded types that don't particularly excel at anything

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What defensmen did u want instead at this pick?

I would have gone with Addison at that point. I admit he would have been riskier, but after taking forwards up to that point, I would have aimed for upside in terms of a defensemen. I expect McIsaac to establish himself as an NHL player, but again, I get worried when people question a prospect's decision making with the puck (this is the same reason I didn't want Wilde either).

Like all these guys taken this last weekend, he has every right to prove me wrong. I do like his skating for the record.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I would have gone with Addison at that point. I admit he would have been riskier, but after taking forwards up to that point, I would have aimed for upside in terms of a defensemen. I expect McIsaac to establish himself as an NHL player, but again, I get worried when people question a prospect's decision making with the puck (this is the same reason I didn't want Wilde either).

Like all these guys taken this last weekend, he has every right to prove me wrong. I do like his skating for the record.

Directly from THN draft preview: "What puts Addison a notch below his peers is his play in his own end. Is he good enough offensively that you're going to put up with his defense? He hasn't proven yet 100 percent that he's that guy."

Time will tell of course but right now Detroit looked smart to pass on him. Almost everyone we have is shit in their own zone. We didn't need another one.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Could he be a Chris Tanev-type if he smashes his development out of the park?

We will have to see but McIsaac brings a bit more physicality in my opinion. He does like to throw his weight around. I don't think we will be talking about guys digging for pucks for long stretches with him on the ice, something that has been a problem for several of our guys for a while now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1. xxx
2. Hronek
3. Cholowski
4. McIsaac

Those three fill out the top 4 nicely. We still need another big defenseman, so hopefully that’s our priority next June.

Very happy with McIsaac, I think he will compliment Cholowski nicely eventually.

Hopefully your #1 is a big RD. I don't think Cholowski and McIsaac are going to play together much as the two LDs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I deliberately wasn’t going for line pairings, but rather quality of depth.

Okay but we are looking for a RD to fill those. Because one of them becomes a #5. McIsaac to me is just an LD when I have seen him and I would prefer to keep Cholowski on his strong side as well.

Again I know handedness isn't everything, but it is something and I would like the Wings to start paying a little more attention to that.

Also Lindstrom can factor into this picture in my opinion. But we get slotted correctly by getting the stud front liner if the kids we have hit. I agree with the premise.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->