Post-Game Talk: #36 | FLYERS (A) vs. Islanders (H) | Saturday, Apr. 3, 2021 | Flyers lose 3-2 (1-0 in SO)

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
You have to get a little dirty after the whistle then. Youre not gonna catch him on a big open ice hit, but that doesnt mean he should be comfortable all game. Too many players have fun playing us. If youre gonna beat us, it should be a miserable experience.

We also have a Selke winner that never seems to be matched up vs the other teams best players...

They’re not going to get dirty after the whistle. This roster isn’t into doing that.

Nothing really works to slow him down or knock him off his game. I’ve rarely ever seen a team successfully knock him off his game with sneaky stick work or heavy checking with any level of frequency. He’s that good and that determined to just shrug off dirty shit and create extended OZ time, chances, shots, & goals. He’s no shrinking violet.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But Ted all i hear is that small skillfull players arent doing it in the nhl cause they are too weak. We need to add players like Grant and Thompson cause they are HeAvY and DiFfIcUlT t0 Play aGaInSt...

You really want to say this isnt the case?:sarcasm:

Barzal isn't small nor weak. Listed at 6'0 187, but I'd bet he's closer to 200 lbs looking at him, and he plays that way.
Barzal also bought into Trotz's defense first, heavy forecheck system even though it reduced his scoring (and potential second contract).
He's not a stats first, team be damned kind of offensive player.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Morgan Frost

Height
182 cm / 6'0"
Place of Birth
Aurora, ON, CAN
Weight
84 kg / 185 lb

Frost is the same as barzal

Your are calling Frost weak for years now. Ignoring everything else from him. He needs to bulk up and so on. Now Barzal is not small and a good devensive player but Frost is bad defensively cause he is to weak and bad defensively. Interesting

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don’t agree. The shootout is so sporadic and not predicable that it comes down to confidence outside of your top guys.

I’m certainly not ready to anoint Patrick as the third best option when I’ve seen one successful move from him. Add in that there was nothing there glove side high last night and he still forced it there confirms that he’s most definitely not a sure fire pick

Since he joined the team only Couturier has scored a better rate in the SO. Patrick is 4/10 and Coots is 7/17.

Voracek is 4/18 in that time, and Giroux is a woeful 4/22. As many goals at Patrick with 12 more attempts. G hasn’t been a consistent shootout guy for a very long time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Since he joined the team only Couturier has scored a better rate in the SO. Patrick is 4/10 and Coots is 7/17.

Voracek is 4/18 in that time, and Giroux is a woeful 4/22. As many goals at Patrick with 12 more attempts. G hasn’t been a consistent shootout guy for a very long time.

Giroux over dekes on shootout attempts. I bet he'd score a lot more if he simplified his approach a bit.

Reactions: flyerslducks

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Hayes had a streaking Laughton(I believe) while short handed. Laughton was ahead of him...and Hayes just keeps the puck and Laughton goes offside by 6 feet. Could tell he was pissed Hayes didn't even attempt a pass to him.
dude this happened like 3x yesterday. He is so slow to develop the play and he made laughton offside 3x when laughts had good speed. He easily would've gotten to the puck first to start the forecheck off and the cycle would've happened. Just dumb hockey iq from a guy who supposedly is a smart hockey player

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
dude this happened like 3x yesterday. He is so slow to develop the play and he made laughton offside 3x when laughts had good speed. He easily would've gotten to the puck first to start the forecheck off and the cycle would've happened. Just dumb hockey iq from a guy who supposedly is a smart hockey player
It might be time to push Hayes over to wing. He is not driving the game enough to merit the center of a line. No speed; no pass; no special shot; ends you up on wing or the bench.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morgan Frost

Height
182 cm / 6'0"
Place of Birth
Aurora, ON, CAN
Weight
84 kg / 185 lb

Frost is the same as barzal

Your are calling Frost weak for years now. Ignoring everything else from him. He needs to bulk up and so on. Now Barzal is not small and a good devensive player but Frost is bad defensively cause he is to weak and bad defensively. Interesting

Don't believe listed numbers, the only numbers that are trustworthy are combine numbers and they're at 18.
Anyone who watched Barzal at 20 and Frost at 20 knew Barzal had at least 10 lbs on him, and he's thicker now.
Frost physically matured late, hopefully he's been able to add some more strength. That and defensive instincts were his problem last year.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Actually Hayes isn’t a high iq player. Never has been.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Don't believe listed numbers, the only numbers that are trustworthy are combine numbers and they're at 18.
Anyone who watched Barzal at 20 and Frost at 20 knew Barzal had at least 10 lbs on him, and he's thicker now.
Frost physically matured late, hopefully he's been able to add some more strength. That and defensive instincts were his problem last year.
How does it feel to read something and form an opinion as far away as possible from it and post it here?

I know people like you in reallife but not one is at consistent as you in these things. It is ok to have the same opinion like some others sometimes.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
How does it feel to read something and form an opinion as far away as possible from it and post it here?

I know people like you in reallife but not one is at consistent as you in these things. It is ok to have the same opinion like some others sometimes.
i have NO IDEA why frost gets so much hate here. Its honestly hilarious. This dude hasn't even played a full season yet and he is already getting "trade him", "he's too small", "he's not skilled" comments. There is zero reason to think he cannot be a nice player for us so far. None

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
i have NO IDEA why frost gets so much hate here. Its honestly hilarious. This dude hasn't even played a full season yet and he is already getting "trade him", "he's too small", "he's not skilled" comments. There is zero reason to think he cannot be a nice player for us so far. None
It's only from the Dino Squad. The kind who defend Hagg and Thompson types and think the staff hasn't made a single mistake.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think he can be a good player, but I also think it's reasonable to be skeptical about his upside. He's one year older than Farabee and look how much further Farabee already is in his development.
It sucks for him that he got hurt this year because the way Patrick is playing this was his opportunity to earn a full time spot.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
They’re not going to get dirty after the whistle. This roster isn’t into doing that.

Nothing really works to slow him down or knock him off his game. I’ve rarely ever seen a team successfully knock him off his game with sneaky stick work or heavy checking with any level of frequency. He’s that good and that determined to just shrug off dirty shit and create extended OZ time, chances, shots, & goals. He’s no shrinking violet.

Sure he's a good player with lots of speed but letting him have free skating burns us more than bumping and harassing him. We have decided to not even attempt at slowing him down. "He's that good and that determined to just shrug off dirty........" . That's a weak a a** excuse. He has no problem taking cheap shots at our guys. One good night off roughing him up and he won't be so carefree. That's our problem we're too soft. Letting guys make plays is one of our major flaws.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I think he can be a good player, but I also think it's reasonable to be skeptical about his upside. He's one year older than Farabee and look how much further Farabee already is in his development.
It sucks for him that he got hurt this year because the way Patrick is playing this was his opportunity to earn a full time spot.
and you never know..frost can still be better than farabee lol. We all know development isn't linear for every prospect. Couts ended up being better than many in his draft class but we couldn't say that in his first 3 years. Frost did get unlucky with this years development though and that sucks+covid season last year. I don't know what others are saying but I am not expecting frost to come in and score 60 his first year. I am thinking he can do something very similar to what farabee has done his first/2nd year

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
and you never know..frost can still be better than farabee lol. We all know development isn't linear for every prospect. Couts ended up being better than many in his draft class but we couldn't say that in his first 3 years. Frost did get unlucky with this years development though and that sucks+covid season last year. I don't know what others are saying but I am not expecting frost to come in and score 60 his first year. I am thinking he can do something very similar to what farabee has done his first/2nd year
It's possible. I guess we'll just have to wait and watch him on the team for an entire season first. I think he'll be the JVR (or Voracek) replacement next year after they get picked by Seattle. Would make sense to have him start as a winger first and then make the transition to center.

Last edited:

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
It's possible. I guess we'll just have to wait and watch him on the team for an entire season first. I think he'll be the JVR (or Voracek) replacement next year after they get picked by Seattle. Would make sense to have him start as a winger first and then make the transition to center.
laughton is most likely being picked by seatttle. We are probably going to protect jvr and leave voracek unprotected cus of that contract and hoping that Seattle wont pick him up

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
laughton is most likely being picked by seatttle. We are probably going to protect jvr and leave voracek unprotected cus of that contract and hoping that Seattle wont pick him up
I don't think they can pick Laughton since he's a UFA. I agree though, I would protect JVR over Voracek.

Reactions: renberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Seattle will be allowed to negotiate with Laughton and if he signs there it would count as their pick from the Flyers.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Seattle will be allowed to negotiate with Laughton and if he signs there it would count as their pick from the Flyers.
The only reason for them to do that would be if there was no other player they're remotely interested in.

I mean, why would a UFA sign with an expansion team?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The only reason for them to do that would be if there was no other player they're remotely interested in.

I mean, why would a UFA sign with an expansion team?

Why not? Seattle will likely be good quickly and if they offer above market value I can absolutely see it happening. Pretty sure a UFA signed with Vegas but cant remember who.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad