Post-Game Talk: #35 | Wednesday Dec. 21st 2016 | Caps 2 at Flyers 3 (shootout 2-1 in 4 rounds)|

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Cousins and Leier was buzzing too.

Leier has shown enough in last two games that he can be a legit bottom 6 moving forward. I had flashbacks to wellwoods short time with the club

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome ending to the game. Mason was spectacular. Ghost had a very nice 3rd/OT which was great to see. Hopefully he can keep that confidence going. As others noted, I've loved Lyubimov recently and Leier has shown he can be a nice bottom 6 piece. I'd be very interested to see a Leier--Bellemare--Lyubimov 4th line next season. I think that could be very effective with the speed, energy, aggression and forechecking. Unfortunately, I don't think that we'll be able to maneuver that with the Read & Weise contracts and Lindblom likely entering the fold.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Was at the game last night, I don't know if it was mentioned but Joe Biden showed up halfway through the first sitting in the lower level.

Im with everyone else, Provorov is a beast. It's exciting to think that this is just year 1 and he is only 19.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Hextall/Hakstol plan is becoming clearer, they're still a notch below the Caps in terms of talent, but the gap is closing, same with speed v Penguins and Blackhawks.

1) it's all about forward depth, as much as people rag on VdV and PEB, they were better than Umberger, Vinnie, White, Rinaldo, Akeson and some other guys they were running out there the last few years. Now we have guys like Weise, Luby, Leier, Cousins pushing them. Next year we'll have Lindblom, Laughton, AK and maybe Vorobyov in the mix. You can see the difference Luby and Leier make in terms of speed on the forecheck. The Flyers can skate with good teams with all four lines, and while they're a little undersized, they're adding size that can skate.

2) The scheme is being gradually implemented, it must take time for new players to get comfortable, Hakstol had the same problem with slow starts in college, probably because rotating and covering for defensemen has to become second nature for forwards, and defensemen have to make split second decisions without hesitation (pinch, retreat, attack the net). That makes Provorov's growth even more amazing, given the demands of the scheme. I think some of MDZ's struggles are getting back into that flow, he's hitting, shooting but making too many mistakes defending. Once they upgrade the old defensemen, watch out.

You can see how close they are to becoming an elite 8 team, and in a couple years, they may establish themselves as an elite 4 team with the depth of talent coming up. They are now able to play with almost any team on any night. They've kept up with speed teams and gone toe to toe with physical teams, like last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad