GDT: #35 | FLYERS (A) vs. Sabres (H) | Wednesday, Mar. 31, 2021 | 7:30 pm ET | NBCSN, NBCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane
AV pregame
21CF28F3-C9E3-4D7A-8BA1-7199D8057EA5.jpeg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Come on Dead.

What is that stat? When there are ones made for that purpose.

From 07-13:

Luongo:

50.83 GSAx: 4th of 91 NHL goalies.
+0.4 dfsv%: 10th of 91 NHL goalies.

From 13-18:

Lundqvist:

45.73 GSAx: 8th of 75 NHL goalies.
+0.48 dfsv%: 13th of 75 NHL goalies.

Now, AVs success was not JUST due to good goalies. He is a good coach in several ways.

BUT to say he did not have great goalies is ridiculous.
He had 2x HHoFers in their primes.
Who at the time were both top 5 starters in league.
AND in Schneider had arguably the best back-up in the league at the time.

Where do you get GSAx, I had to go to NST, take GAA and subtract xGA/60 from it.

Luongo's prime actually pre-dated AV, starting in 2004.
He was definitely overworked, 72 starts, lockout, 75, 76, 73 games (AV's first season), then AV cut back his work load.

Lundqvist was past his prime when AV arrived, two good years then a steady decline.
It was Torts who was aided by Lundqvist playing like a HOF goalie.

So while AV had good goalies, it's misleading to say his success was due to great goaltending. These guys didn't have "stand on their heads" seasons under him.
People have suggested his system ruined goalies, then why did three different backups thrive under him and have success as starting goaltenders?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Clearly this is a slap in the face for Ghost, whatever story they are telling the public. I don't know if it's supposed to motivate him, or the rest of the team, or just done for spite.

I think the clearing waivers might be, in this instance I still don't think that's what they're trying to do to him though. Now, does he or anyone believe that? This also wouldn't be a problem if they didn't now need 3 goaltenders on the NHL roster. The rush to placate angry fans in calling up Hart after firing Hextall is burning them too in that case.

It's one thing to be playing the way they were/are, but now your roster construction is starting to get torn up because you need to be playing all these games. This is like NHL '20 stuff where you're not paying as close attention and you get hit with injuries.

Reactions: BiggE and deadhead

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I have never been so perplexed about coaching before watching the flyers. I knew Hak was awful but this is just scary. He is ruining this team. Hart, freidman, farabee, frost and York are next on his to do list..

such a sad time to be a flyer fan. From hope to f***ing fear

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have never been so perplexed about coaching before watching the flyers. I knew Hak was awful but this is just scary. He is ruining this team. Hart, freidman, farabee, frost and York are next on his to do list..

such a sad time to be a flyer fan. From hope to f***ing fear
This is so so so so much worse than Hakstol.

Reactions: flyerslducks

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Giving Oskar and/or Nolan a rest is perfectly fine to me. They likely need one. It's the way AV and Chuck trip over their own feet to make it happen that annoys me.
Sit Oskar last game, sit Nolan this game. Waive Gus, remove Lyon and let Hart sit on the bench but don't put him no matter what. The fact that they had to waive a perfectly fine D-man is stupid.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Folks, I've been through a lot of heartache and pain with this team. From the passing of Barry Ashbee, to game 6 in the 1980 SCF, to Pelle's tragic end, to game 7 in the 87 SCF, to five years with no playoffs, the fiasco that was the 97 finals, the messy end to the Lindros era, 06-07, the Hakstol era and the loss of Mr. Snider, but this is even worse. Why? Simple, I have no hope. None. This is a garbage organization from top to bottom and I've had it.

Always, no matter how bad things got, I at least knew that the owner of the team cared, deeply cared, and would do whatever it took to right the ship. Now, there is no hope left in me, not a single drop. Ownership is a corporate behemoth that only cares about dollars and cents. The team President is a buffoon and corporate lackey who knows nothing about hockey and only cares that he pleases his masters. The GM is the poster boy for mediocrity and lets not kid ourselves, if his dad wasn't Cliff Fletcher, he's probably not even working in the NHL. The head coach is a self centered egomaniac that has little grasp of what it takes to win in today's NHL and he never believes that anything is his fault. His assistants are a mix of incompetence and idiocy and the players, with only a very few exceptions, are a mix of so-so players that are far from elite.

I have absolutely zero faith that this group can build a championship team, none, nada, zilch. I'm beyond angry, rather I'm just spent and depressed. There really isn't much else to say. I won't be watching tonight as I badly need a break, but I truly hope the Sabres break their losing streak tonight. That would be exactly what the Flyers deserve. My Flyers, the team I grew up with, the team I loved dearly, the team that brought me so much joy is dead. It's about time I realized it and moved on.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath. I truly don't understand how anyone can look at Fletcher's total body of work as a general manager both in Minnesota and so far here and think that this guy can build a championship team. I also cannot understand how anyone can fail to grasp that AV's success in Vancouver and NY was solely due to his having 2 of the best goaltenders of the last 25 years available to bail out his team mistakes. This entire organization needs an enema.
Agree completely. Hope is gone. These clowns have NO idea what they are doing. #FireFletch #FireAV

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Where do you get GSAx, I had to go to NST, take GAA and subtract xGA/60 from it.

Luongo's prime actually pre-dated AV, starting in 2004.
He was definitely overworked, 72 starts, lockout, 75, 76, 73 games (AV's first season), then AV cut back his work load.

Lundqvist was past his prime when AV arrived, two good years then a steady decline.
It was Torts who was aided by Lundqvist playing like a HOF goalie.

So while AV had good goalies, it's misleading to say his success was due to great goaltending. These guys didn't have "stand on their heads" seasons under him.
People have suggested his system ruined goalies, then why did three different backups thrive under him and have success as starting goaltenders?

Evolving wild has some really nice comprehensive goalie stats!

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Giving Oskar and/or Nolan a rest is perfectly fine to me. They likely need one. It's the way AV and Chuck trip over their own feet to make it happen that annoys me.
Sit Oskar last game, sit Nolan this game. Waive Gus, remove Lyon and let Hart sit on the bench but don't put him no matter what. The fact that they had to waive a perfectly fine D-man is stupid.
100% this.

Reactions: Tripod and Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh, I think they know exactly what they're doing. They're just not doing what people here like.

1) Ghost has no future here, because he's overpaid, as the league made clear. And he's not a good fit other than the 3rd pair. Waiving him wasn't a gamble, he gets claimed, they're out of his contract, he doesn't, they have cap room and flexibility.

2) They're still in reach of the playoffs, until then they're in limbo, can't write off the season, can't waste assets if they don't have a shot

3) Lindblom and Patrick are still fragile, Lindblom physically, Patrick mentally, AV is trying to shelter them and help them get back to 100%.

4) The gap between Ghost and Gus just isn't that great in their eyes (Gus actually has a better xGFrel since the COVID break), because both have similar flaws and neither is doing that much. So probably want to give Gus a chance to beat out Ghost, same way Ghost keeps getting chances. Pray they both do well or Hagg may be back in the lineup. :DD

Just because some here are still delusional about Ghost (anyone who thinks he's top 4 material) doesn't mean the FO is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad