Prospect Info: #34 Mason McDonald

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I seem to remember hearing an interview from Burke on it. They essentially chose Mason over Demko because Demko had injuries they didn’t like (hips?)

The injuries in question is the same reason Gilles is derailed. It's a legitimate concern.

But now? I think it's less about the drafted goalies. We need to poach the goalie coaches from Vancouver along with the players we have already taken from them. Doesn't matter who we draft if somehow we cannot develop them properly. Vanc went the opposite direction, they took a goalie potentially with career ending injuries and developed him well. IMO if Gilles went to Vancouver, he might suddenly turn into Ben Bishop based on their track record with Demko.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
IN RETROSPECT...means looking back on things would have chosen differently "if I had known then what I know now" sort of thing. That was my comment.
Hasn't Ehlers or Pastrnak or Nylander produced more than Benny? Isn't Ehlers and Pastrnak more valuable to their teams? You don't see the possibility of either of those guys having improved Flames top-end more by now than what Benny has done? Sorry for the confusion and misinterpretation.
Yes, on the MacDonald pick front...why??
Brayden Point would have been awesome, even if his potential upside appeared only middle of the road back then.
Well yes obviously now you could say either would be the much better choice, but Bennett at the time was the clear best choice. And Point put great numbers and was viewed with very high potential so I’m not sure what the scouts were thinking too pass up on him at that point.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Man, imagine Brayden Point instead of Hunter Smith. That would be franchise altering.

But good thing we picked up some heavy bodies with truculence. Lol.
It’s just mind boggling. I remember at the time the boards were very upset with passing up on Point. I’m not sure what was going through their minds when they walked up to the podium with confidence to announce the selection.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
It’s just mind boggling. I remember at the time the boards were very upset with passing up on Point. I’m not sure what was going through their minds when they walked up to the podium with confidence to announce the selection.

Sometimes fans think they know better than highly paid professionals that spend countless hours solely focused on these decisions and I find it funny.

Other times, the fans actually get it right! Except we don’t know if Point would have developed the same outside of Tampa.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Sometimes fans think they know better than highly paid professionals that spend countless hours solely focused on these decisions and I find it funny.

Other times, the fans actually get it right! Except we don’t know if Point would have developed the same outside of Tampa.

Good "Point". We probably would have expected too much too early and misued his "learning curve, personal evolution to the NHL game". He might of pushed himself too hard in front of local, hometown fans and family, and faltered to evolve this well as he has in Tampa-town.
What would it look like to maybe send Monahan and a higher prospect to TBL for him now?? Hmmm....

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Good "Point". We probably would have expected too much too early and misued his "learning curve, personal evolution to the NHL game". He might of pushed himself too hard in front of local, hometown fans and family, and faltered to evolve this well as he has in Tampa-town.
What would it look like to maybe send Monahan and a higher prospect to TBL for him now?? Hmmm....

It’s a nice pipe dream. Don’t think Monahan fits Lightning play style though. Only benefit Tampa would get is perceived cap relief.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t buy the narrative of that Point or Kuch for that matter, wouldn’t have hit their ceilings here. The Flames (unlike with their goalies), have an excellent track record at developing smaller skilled forwards.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

We can only go off the player we know he is now. I dont see any reason he doesn't develop the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad