Prospect Info: #34 Mason McDonald

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I read somewhere that Demko needs surgery on one or both his hips. If that's true that could really effect him. I don't mind the pick, personally would have gone for a winger or defenseman at that spot though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm pretty optimistic about this pick, really like what I've heard on him. I trust our scouts, they found a gem in Gillies to. To take a goalie that early, they must be extremely high on him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Wanted a goalie with our early 2nd as it can become a solid asset down the road, wanted Demko but if Flames brass think McDonald is better then I am fine with that, happy with this pick. I like that we are maintaining good goalie depth in our pipeline and not giving up assets to get them from other teams AKA. Oilers.

B+ for me on this one.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Would have rather had McKeown. McDonald himself however isn't a terrible pick.

this. Didn't want Demko, looked sketchy every time I watched him plus the surgeries etc. They would have gotten a good look at M&M at the recent national goalie camp in Calgary.

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014
Living in PEI, I have seen him play several times. He kept us in games which should have been total blowouts. He is very calm even when in a shooting gallery. Great pick in my opinion.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I watched both Demko and MacDonald play at least 5 times. And I said this before te draft that I was really high on MacDonald. And I also never liked Thatcher Demko. Glad we got the number one goalie in the draft IMO.

After that pick I think and argument could be made that the flames have the best LW, C, and G prospects in the league.... Now of only our D cupboard wasn't so barren

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
I live on PEI and seen McDonald play since he got traded here, I think you guys got a good one. I think he is going to be a bit of a project in that he will have to spend some time in the minors at first but he has the tools. The Islanders GM, who has been one of the head scouts for a couple of NHL teams, has said what impresses him about McDonald is how he prepares himself in how he works on his game. I've heard that same thing from a couple of other people as well. As far as the comparison to Demko because I haven't seen Demko play but think you will be pleased with McDonald.

Aug 3, 2010
I'm glad that the Flames acquired McDonald over Demko. Really not a fan of Demko, I feel like he has a lot of inflated stats playing behind that BC team. Could be wrong, but McDonald seems to have been the "safer" goaltending prospect chosen.

I live on PEI and seen McDonald play since he got traded here, I think you guys got a good one. I think he is going to be a bit of a project in that he will have to spend some time in the minors at first but he has the tools. The Islanders GM, who has been one of the head scouts for a couple of NHL teams, has said what impresses him about McDonald is how he prepares himself in how he works on his game. I've heard that same thing from a couple of other people as well. As far as the comparison to Demko because I haven't seen Demko play but think you will be pleased with McDonald.

That's fine - McDonald fills a need in that he's allowed to be a project as both Ortio and Gillies are young netminderss who will likely challenge for the #1 spot in Calgary in the next 2-3 seasons and giving McDonald up to 5 more years developing in Major Junior/AHL-level leagues.

puckles

Mar 28, 2015
hi guys, just wondering if anyone has a review of McDonald this season? (havent been able to see him). Noticed his stats are ok but only shows half the story I suppose.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
hi guys, just wondering if anyone has a review of McDonald this season? (havent been able to see him). Noticed his stats are ok but only shows half the story I suppose.
when you looked up his stats did you just look at the raw stats on a player page? or did you look at him in comparison to the rest of the league he is playing in? I would suggest doing the latter because they sudden;y look better than "ok"

He was team MVP, 7th in league in GAA, 2nd in SV%, 4th in minutes, 3rd in both shots faced and saves.

puckles

Mar 28, 2015
well thats good to hear. no hadnt checked the qmjhl stats, so impressed to hear how he's going comparatively to rest of the league.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Actually scoring rates were almost identical between the QMJHL and the OHL this season, each averaging about 3.5 goals against/game.
3.5 goals against per game is alot :laugh: so Ynnek is not wrong, ther eis just no defense in any CHL league :laugh:

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Actually scoring rates were almost identical between the QMJHL and the OHL this season, each averaging about 3.5 goals against/game.

There was definitely not much defense and goaltending in the Wildcats series I just saw.

Game 1 - Fri Apr 10 | 7:00 PM | Halifax 7, MONCTON 3
Game 2 - Sat Apr 11 | 7:00 PM | Halifax 6, MONCTON 3
Game 3 - Tue Apr 14 | 7:00 PM | Moncton 4, HALIFAX 3
Game 4 - Wed Apr 15 | 7:00 PM | Moncton 3, HALIFAX 2 OT
Game 5 - Fri Apr 17 | 7:00 PM | MONCTON 7, Halifax 3
Game 6 - Sun Apr 19 | 4:00 PM | HALIFAX 7, Moncton 5
Game 7 - Tue Apr 21 | 7:00 PM | MONCTON 6, Halifax 3

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Was looking up the 2014 draft to see how the first round played out again, even though I know Bennett was the consensus #4 pick.

Then I saw the second round and remembered this pick that I hated the moment it was made; especially with Demko going to spots later to Vancouver. Admittedly, my opinion was based more on scouting reports and hype than actually viewings, but I didn’t like it. Re-reading this thread, a lot of us were fans of the pick. Yikes.

To see the burgeoning goalies that went in this draft is disheartening: Nedelkjovic, Vanecek, Merzlikins, Sorokin, Husso, Kahkonen, Shesterkin.

Can we get some new blood in charge of drafting and developing goalies?! Jettison Sigalet to Antarctica?

Oh yeah, giant oaf Hunter Smith the pick before Brandon Montour... ugh. Thanks Burkie.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This pick will be under a microscope for awhile with the Canucks picking Demko shortly after.
I hope we did make the right choice.

Well, I think the jury's out on this one.
I think the Canucks pulled one over on us again taking Jurmo right after we took Boltman.
It's OK though, we'll just pick them up as FA's.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Was looking up the 2014 draft to see how the first round played out again, even though I know Bennett was the consensus #4 pick.

Then I saw the second round and remembered this pick that I hated the moment it was made; especially with Demko going to spots later to Vancouver. Admittedly, my opinion was based more on scouting reports and hype than actually viewings, but I didn’t like it. Re-reading this thread, a lot of us were fans of the pick. Yikes.

To see the burgeoning goalies that went in this draft is disheartening: Nedelkjovic, Vanecek, Merzlikins, Sorokin, Husso, Kahkonen, Shesterkin.

Can we get some new blood in charge of drafting and developing goalies?! Jettison Sigalet to Antarctica?

Oh yeah, giant oaf Hunter Smith the pick before Brandon Montour... ugh. Thanks Burkie.
Demko just had a major injury to be fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad