Prospect Info: #34 Mason McDonald

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
A couple of reports for people like myself who have no idea who he is.

"McDonald is a tall, lanky goaltender with natural coverage coupled with a strong posture between the pipes. For his size, has quick athleticism and reflexes but remains a goaltender that more often blocks pucks instead of saving pucks - Elite Prospects"

"Athletic and exceptionally quick, Charlottetown Islanders goaltender Mason McDonald is one of Canada’s brightest prospects between the pipes. He possesses ideal NHL size and some of the best lateral quickness setting him up perfectly to make save after save. McDonald has a sound understanding of goaltending technique and mental toughness but he is prone to wandering out of position occasionally. Coming off an outstanding showing at the Under-18 World Championships, McDonald picked up the Best Goaltender award after backstopping Canada to a bronze medal posting a stellar 1.94 GAA and .930 save percentage. - Brendan Ross, Dobber Prospects"

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
Don't just look at stats to determine if it was a good pick take in consideration that mason did play with Bathurst and Charlottetown last year who were both bottom 5 teams in the league and the year before that he only played with bathurst

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This pick will be under a microscope for awhile with the Canucks picking Demko shortly after.
I hope we did make the right choice.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Dougherty, McKeown, Cornel, MacInnis are all much better, we have Gillies and Ortio but if we were to take a goalie then DEMKO

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Never got the demko hype watching him, never seen this guy

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
I don't see a reason to fret. With Brad Pascall recently joining the Flames' staff from Team Canada, he likely had a hand in this pick but I'm okay with it.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
We needed another goalie anyway, and based on how the second round went it seems like the Flames made a good pick. Personally I would have waited for our late 3rd to pick a goalie but meh.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Both Fin's went in the 4th...

And he may have more upside than both of them.

He's very good, I watched most of the U18's and he was one of the best players in the tournament. He was a show unto himself.

IMO goaltender scouting has evolved a bit, and you see a lot more elite goalies being drafted in the top 40 picks. 2/3 Vezina candidates were 1st picks, and Price could have easily been a candidate as well. Then you look at prospects like Gibson and Vasilevski, and the impacts they're projected to make. It's much better to draft the BGA than to just throw darts at a bulletin board. It's not about getting a future goalie, but trying for a future Vezina contender.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I guess I viewed our goalie pick to be more insurance for Gillies and Ortio who I believe are both starters, not to mention Ramo. However I am by no means against this pick, as like I said earlier the Flames were obviously onto something as a couple goalies went immediately after.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Well he enters the draft with a higher pedigree than Ortio or Gillies, FWIW. He might be our best goalie prospect.

I like it because I don't just want a starter. I want a top goalie in the league, which makes a massive difference, especially come playoff time. And if we have to hedge our bets to find that guy than so bet it.

We take the best, and trade the rest. Reto Berra got us Hunter Smith so it's not like any of those guys will go to waste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->