GDT: #34: Blue Jackets at FLYERS, Saturday, Dec. 22, 2018, 1:00 pm ET

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Just think, 1 year ago Leafs fans were ok with a Kapanen+1st for Simmonds.

Imagine if we had Kapanen for our 3rd line and on our PK now....plus had Sandin developing for our future D in case we lose one in expansion.

If only...

There was a large contingent, many of whom are changing their tunes now, who viewed Simmonds this season as an essential piece -- our version of a 1 year, JVR-type rental -- and better to keep than trade. He would be a player who would help us perform this season, and a vital presence in the presumed playoff run......because when checking gets tighter and passing and speed of play get more important, Simmonds is your guy, I guess?

Now, there was also a contingent who was a bit skeptical of all those things and really wanted to trade him. Who viewed his PP role, his one saving grace, as beyond replaceable with Patrick and JVR in the fold. I was even quite vocal about trading Simmonds over Schenn when his value was insanely high.

We can only hope this usage is just a short-term showcase before an inevitable trade. I still believe his near-mythological intangibles are enough to gather a solid, if not as solid, return unbefitting his current play.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There was a large contingent, many of whom are changing their tunes now, who viewed Simmonds this season as an essential piece -- our version of a 1 year, JVR-type rental -- and better to keep than trade. He would be a player who would help us perform this season, and a vital presence in the presumed playoff run......because when checking gets tighter and passing and speed of play get more important, Simmonds is your guy, I guess?

Now, there was also a contingent who was a bit skeptical of all those things and really wanted to trade him. Who viewed his PP role, his one saving grace, as beyond replaceable with Patrick and JVR in the fold. I was even quite vocal about trading Simmonds over Schenn when his value was insanely high.

We can only hope this usage is just a short-term showcase before an inevitable trade. I still believe his near-mythological intangibles are enough to gather a solid, if not as solid, return unbefitting his current play.
Yeah agreed. Most know that even though I have appreciated Simmonds and how he played for us, I have been willing to trade him for a few years. Mainly, because I felt trading him earlier, meant the return for him would be more ready to help us now...as opposed to trading him now and that asset coming back helping us in 2-4 years.

As I said in game, Simmonds is struggling in the 1 things that he used to be good at....the PP. That's not good.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah agreed. Most know that even though I have appreciated Simmonds and how he played for us, I have been willing to trade him for a few years. Mainly, because I felt trading him earlier, meant the return for him would be more ready to help us now...as opposed to trading him now and that asset coming back helping us in 2-4 years.

As I said in game, Simmonds is struggling in the 1 things that he used to be good at....the PP. That's not good.

I don't think it's unfair to say that he is completely useless now. I'm quite serious. I know that is going to hurt some feelings, but I think it's true.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
In the mentality of watching bad Sixers and Phillies games. Just try to enjoy the games as much as possible and hope the young guys take strides. This year is a wash considering the flux in the front office and coaching staff. Sucks, but thats how it is.

Reactions: Rebels57

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

I was pretty vocal about keeping Simmonds for a run this year, although I was pretty disappointed about him not being traded as part of a big deal for ROR or Dougie Hamilton.

Simmonds decline this year is truly bizarre imo (i guess everyone else on this board predicted it). I did some minor research on net-front power play guys and it seemed that they mostly aged well - in terms of power play ability. Dave Andreychuk was slower than molasses and still popped in 15 PPGs at age 39.

Simmonds looks utterly incapable of doing something positive with a hockey puck. I'm sure we'll find out he's playing with a broken hand and 11 other injuries from his fight with Olesiak, but I suppose more injuries was predictable as well.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Oskar Nolan Kapanen

Damn that’s a nice thought! I’d be going after Kapanen as well. Simmonds and Gudas for Kapanen and their first. Maybe a bit more coming back. That line would be very effective.

I think with Provorov its all above the shoulders. He has too much talent to be this bad. He just needs to go back to the KISS method and build from there. Its all mental with him right now IMO

100%. I’m not worried about him long term but I do think this continues though the year and therefore screws our shot at the playoffs. In a “chess match” game those kind of turnovers are you blinking first.

Voracek, Simmonds, Amac, Laughton all need to go.

Voracek is a Neanderthal. Guy has pigeon poop for brains. I’m over the turnovers and firing “shots” into other players. You can get a good return for him and replace him with Panarin for less money! Send him back to cbus when the lose Panarin...

Simmonds is done. Maybe his effects of all those injuries. Trade for Kapanen.

Amac is garbage. Was garbage. And will always be garbage. As I have said before, he has no influence on the game. Guys walk right by him. Tip shots next him etc. all he does is get shots blocked and turns pucks over. No way he should be on the team. Get Myers up here ASAP.

Laughton is a waste. He gets all these chances with 0 finish. Replace him with NAK.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Guilty as charged. I didn't see ... this ... after playing through the injuries last season. I want to tie up the Wayne Simmonds Flyers era with a nice shiny bow very much, but his play has been poor with no signs of getting better. It's sad.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Hate the loss, but the boys didn't play poorly today. It's tough when every mistake seems to end up in your goal.

Hart was fine. What goal are we going to fault him on?

Werenski? A shot from a high danger spot after a brutal turnover by Provy. Nope.

Atkinson after a great toe save? No.

Atkinson, after good work by Sanheim getting the clear and Jake getting pushed off the puck? No way.

Panarin off a lost draw, and after G went for the steal and missed? I don't think so.

I liked how the kid handled the post-game interview. He didn't throw any of his offending teammates under the bus and took responsibility for goals that really weren't his fault.

Bob was large today.

1074599284_slide.jpg

Whoever advised Provy to cut down his stick (not a totally irrational idea) should take a serious look at his puck-handling problems this season and reassess.

We don't have anyone in the top 50 in shooting percentage and only 2 in the top 100. Time to re-work the power play. It's been found out by opposing coaches and we need to adjust. Also, bringing in a special coach to work with the boys on quick release and accuracy on their wrist shots couldn't hurt.

Jake got paid $112,804.88 for that game? Sheeessh.

Congrats Phil!

1074596536_slide.jpg

Photos by Len Redkoles.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don’t want to keep beating the guy up but Simmonds played 19:24 minutes that game despite being probably the worst player on the ice or at least in the running for it.

This is pretty much why he needs to go ASAP. Coaching staff’s have blinders for the dude.

He's the kind of guy almost every team will want to overplay.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For anyone that thought Hart was bad yesterday, do yourself a favor and stop watching hockey

He had no chance whatsoever on the 2nd and 3rd goals. He made the best save a Flyers goalie has made all season prior to the 2nd goal and almost recovered in time to make another great save. The 4th goal he MAYBE could have had but that puck was past him about 0.2 seconds after the puck hit the faceoff dot. Giroux blew his coverage and Gudas inadvertently screened Hart. The 1st goal by Werenski after the brutal Provy turnover he could have had.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Hate the loss, but the boys didn't play poorly today. It's tough when every mistake seems to end up in your goal.

Hart was fine. What goal are we going to fault him on?

Werenski? A shot from a high danger spot after a brutal turnover by Provy. Nope.

Atkinson after a great toe save? No.

Atkinson, after good work by Sanheim getting the clear and Jake getting pushed off the puck? No way.

Panarin off a lost draw, and after G went for the steal and missed? I don't think so.

I liked how the kid handled the post-game interview. He didn't throw any of his offending teammates under the bus and took responsibility for goals that really weren't his fault.

Bob was large today.

1074599284_slide.jpg

Whoever advised Provy to cut down his stick (not a totally irrational idea) should take a serious look at his puck-handling problems this season and reassess.

We don't have anyone in the top 50 in shooting percentage and only 2 in the top 100. Time to re-work the power play. It's been found out by opposing coaches and we need to adjust. Also, bringing in a special coach to work with the boys on quick release and accuracy on their wrist shots couldn't hurt.

Jake got paid $112,804.88 for that game? Sheeessh.

Congrats Phil!

1074596536_slide.jpg

Photos by Len Redkoles.

Without reading the whole thread, I'm going to make an educated guess that this was the most accurate post pertaining to the game I watched today. The thing I liked about today's effort was the Flyers shooting high...Bob butterflies early and they made him work today. A lot of those second effort lunges upwards when his weight was already headed for his knees and hips. The guy is like gumby and just doesn't leave the bottom of the net open. His second efforts were the difference today, they definitely made him earn this one. The point you make that really hits home is the shooting pct, our guys miss the net from prime shooting areas way too much...especially Ghost. Fix that and the horrid defensive zone mental mistakes and they'd be a playoff team IMO. Great post, made reading the board today a little less painful.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Simmonds situation highlights a fatal flaw in Hexys plan. The slower you build your team the more holes open over time that need to be filled again.
Yup. A slow rebuild with forwards in their prime is foolish because those forwards are going to age out of their effectiveness, and high trade value, by the time the team is ready. The clock is ticking on Voracek and Giroux. And it won’t necessarily be a gradual decline. Both could fall off the cliff once injuries start to hit.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad