Injury Report: #34 Auston Matthews - Cleared to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Our own John Tavares is another example. Elite player, only missed significant time once in his career.

Now who's to say, hopefully Auston only misses a couple games but it looked pretty significant. He also had injury problems pre-NHL.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Malkin is a good comparable actually. Extremely injury prone player. He's only played 2 full seasons and those were his 2nd and 3rd of his career. Still manages to be elite when he actually plays.

I don't think it's a stretch to say we can expect 60-70 games played a year from Austin much like Malkin.

yeah I do think it's a stretch, the kid is in his 3rd season.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Even WITH the injuries, AM is the best thing to happen to this franchise in a long, long time.

I don’t believe the injuries factor into contract negotiations at all. Matthews still has all the leverage. He’s still going to get whatever he wants.

If I have a crazy hot take to this situation at all is that i don’t think they’ve done enough to help AM since he’s gotten to Toronto. For some reason Babcock insists on making sure he’s on the ice with AT LEAST one winger who draws minimal attention from the opposition. That makes the ride considerably rougher for Matthews. I think they could do more to give him contributing wingers, not just passengers.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It is what it is really. He got hurt, he will probably miss a month or so....It sucks. But as usual there is a portion of the fanbase that thinks the sky is falling everytime anything remotely bad happens. It will be okay. It is hockey people get injuries we are still going to make the playoffs no point crying over a reality of the sport.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
It is what it is really. He got hurt, he will probably miss a month or so....It sucks. But as usual there is a portion of the fanbase that thinks the sky is falling everytime anything remotely bad happens. It will be okay. It is hockey people get injuries we are still going to make the playoffs no point crying over a reality of the sport.
no but its a real concern before u dole out 12 mill a year ,he gets hurt and hes not a basher like LINDROS was ,or big BUFF on winnepeg .
yes its a concern .

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Whats more easy to rehab and fix long term? I know some guys with shoulder separation issue who has undergone operation but they Dont exactly play in the NHL. Rotor cuff seems more treatble from a professional athelete point of view and is more about movement.

Sucks for AM, Toronto and NHL if this keeps happening

Loose shoulder is easier.
Normal people dont usually need it but in this case surgery should thighten it.

Rotatorcuff problems are harder to fix, when we speak professional athlete.

Though, hard to say as these are so situtational.

In hockey though these are usually career stoppers etc. , but in sports were you throw, use your arm over your shoulderline they can really end it.

Reactions: EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
This is a crazy theory but I'm going to throw it out here anyway - we all know Matthews uses a short stick - can that change a players shoulder position in such a way that makes his shoulders more vulnerable to injury - the players shoulders would be more tucked than normal and therefore more vulnerable to separation.

Reactions: behemolari

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
No.
This was a question going into the season; how would AM’s back and shoulder fair this year?
That little bump wouldn’t normally cause a serious injury. If it did, well then.....
Yes it would. the point of contact couldn't have been worse.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This is a crazy theory but I'm going to throw it out here anyway - we all know Matthews uses a short stick - can that change a players shoulder position in such a way that makes his shoulders more vulnerable to injury - the players shoulders would be more tucked than normal and therefore more vulnerable to separation.

I'd say you had a valid point if its the same shoulder that got injured. His shoulder injury last season was the other one...

Reactions: DriveFor9th

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
It's hard for a center to stay away from the middle of the ice. Auston is a great player we all know that. But these injuries are concerning.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So, Tavares-Kadri-Lindholm-Gauthier down the middle.

Not as good as we are used to, bit still fine. Thankfully Lindholm and Gauthier have looked good.

I wonder if we call someone up as a spare forward, or even to play

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
I'd say you had a valid point if its the same shoulder that got injured. His shoulder injury last season was the other one...
The fact that it's the other shoulder would give more credence to my point i would think? If both shoulders are tucked in as opposed to being more squared off does that not make them more vulnerable to getting popped?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Alright Willy, you can now play a few games (hope it's only that at most - re:AM) at center

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Lindholm- Kadri - Brown
Leivo- Gauthier - Ennis

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
If you compare his reaction this time vs last time, i think it points to this injury being more serious.

last time was a lateral crush injury which is easier to sustain. This was a posterior blow at much higher speeds. Matthews chose to try to score vs protect himself. Bad choice.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
If you compare his reaction this time vs last time, i think it points to this injury being more serious.

last time was a lateral crush injury which is easier to sustain. This was a posterior blow at much higher speeds. Matthews chose to try to score vs protect himself. Bad choice.
Yeah, not sure why he decided to try and barge towards the net with the puck and head down

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Does someone have the preceding 15 seconds on video ? why does Trouba have so much speed ? He must have been skating hard from higher up in the zone ... not sure why he would be so high and matthews down so low in the zone.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
So, Tavares-Kadri-Lindholm-Gauthier down the middle.

Not as good as we are used to, bit still fine. Thankfully Lindholm and Gauthier have looked good.

I wonder if we call someone up as a spare forward, or even to play

But let’s trade Kadri

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Does someone have the preceding 15 seconds on video ? why does Trouba have so much speed ? He must have been skating hard from higher up in the zone ... not sure why he would be so high and matthews down so low in the zone.
Seemd that Matthews was a little frustrated after missing the open net that was trying to force a goal

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
That short stick he uses is the cause of his shoulder injuries - I'm pretty certain of that and I'm surprised neither Matthews nor anyone else has looked at that - use a longer stick dude

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That short stick he uses is the cause of his shoulder injuries - I'm pretty certain of that and I'm surprised neither Matthews nor anyone else has looked at that - use a longer stick dude
Everything you post is absurd, your nic should be "Clutter"

Reactions: egd27

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
In this instance it put his left shoulder lower to the ground exposing his shoulder even more.

I think Matthews has to stop sacrificing the body in cases like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad