Injury Report: #34 Auston Matthews - Cleared to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Matthews when asked if he used to sleep in Coyote PJs. haha Good answer!

"I did not have Coyotes Pajamas but I do have a lot of Coyotes jerseys in my closet... that I no longer look at ... because ..... Go Leafs Go!"

Is this real?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Anyone know when Matthews might be coming back roughly? Thought it was supposed to be 3 weeks and it feels like it has been already

Marner and JT are doing a good job but I cant wait for auston to get back with them!

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Werent there rumblings that he could play this weekend? Not sure if I read that here or heard it from 'analysts'.

Last edited:

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Wasn't there rumblings that he could play this weekend? Not sure if I read that here or heard it from 'analysts'.

He needs a couple more team practices to be ready, given how busy these two weeks they are, he will have to wait a few more games it seems.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We all want him to be as healthy as possible but saying "100%" is not realistic. He'll be between 95% - 99%.

Then he should sit until he is 100% IMO. Look, the team is playing really good hockey right now. They are making the playoffs. Maybe it costs them a presidents trophy or the division lead but at the end of the day those things are no indication of post season success.

I would MUCH rather he sits out an extra 2 weeks than projected to really feel good and good a few weeks of good skates and workouts in to be back in peak form than for him to come back and be the post injury Matthews we had the end of last year and playoffs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I mean, once already injured it's hard to get back to 100% in a physically demanding sport such as hockey.

Nobody is getting to 100% after that during the season. Matthews has been injured or has played injured in every single NHL season to date. We want him to be as healthy as possible but if he comes back and gets injured again this season, not at all good for us or him and his contract negotiations. I think they will er on the side of caution.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Then he should sit until he is 100% IMO. Look, the team is playing really good hockey right now. They are making the playoffs. Maybe it costs them a presidents trophy or the division lead but at the end of the day those things are no indication of post season success.

I would MUCH rather he sits out an extra 2 weeks than projected to really feel good and good a few weeks of good skates and workouts in to be back in peak form than for him to come back and be the post injury Matthews we had the end of last year and playoffs.
We'll see what happens. Who knows what the timeline will be to get to 100%? Could be 2 more weeks, could be 2 months.

FWIW, Matthews was great post-injury (not playoffs). I specifically remember telling myself "man is he ready to kill the playoffs". He was on fire, getting points almost every game and then the playoffs started lol.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Man I seriously hope he is injured for the last time for a long time. He doesn’t even play the contact game, may be he is also a glass canon.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We'll see what happens. Who knows what the timeline will be to get to 100%? Could be 2 more weeks, could be 2 months.

FWIW, Matthews was great post-injury (not playoffs). I specifically remember telling myself "man is he ready to kill the playoffs". He was on fire, getting points almost every game and then the playoffs started lol.

No he really wasn't. He put up points but he was largely not a factor most games. His skating was off (which Babs even said) and he wasn't taking over games like he has been known to do, he was just going through the motions.

The Matthews early this year that was dominant was pushing his way in between the puck and the player. He was using his size and elite stick to retrieve the pucks, and then his elite ability to protect it to draw players in for space. Then he is able to either set up the guys or get to the net to clean up that play he made.

Last years Matthews looked like a guy not willing to battle for the pucks. Not willing to outwork the other team for the puck, etc. And the main factor was he was still injured.

Reactions: Menzinger

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
No he really wasn't. He put up points but he was largely not a factor most games. His skating was off (which Babs even said) and he wasn't taking over games like he has been known to do, he was just going through the motions.

The Matthews early this year that was dominant was pushing his way in between the puck and the player. He was using his size and elite stick to retrieve the pucks, and then his elite ability to protect it to draw players in for space. Then he is able to either set up the guys or get to the net to clean up that play he made.

Last years Matthews looked like a guy not willing to battle for the pucks. Not willing to outwork the other team for the puck, etc. And the main factor was he was still injured.
I agree that the injury definitely did play a factor in him not being his dominant self (great stick, strong on puck, pushing through) but the Auston this year is NOT the same as last year IMO, even beginning of last year. He worked on his skating this off-season and is much stronger too. He's taken a step forward this year, sucks to see him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia