33rd Overall Jonatan Berggren

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funny how that Fagemo was compared to Tyler Toffoli before the draft....

...and guy is drafted by LA Kings.

Berggren for me feels like Viktor Arvidsson and that David Gustafsson for Mikko Koivu.

So Swedish 1st line is like "Arvidsson" --- "Koivu" --- "Toffoli"

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, 1 year old goal, and that opposite team was Polish Champion, so not proably the toughest defenceman to go trough.
Yeah, that move isn't going to work against NHL D, and goalies don't give up 5 hole goals that easily either. Fun video to watch, but not anything I would expect to translate to a higher level.

dangledangledeke

Yeah, that move isn't going to work against NHL D, and goalies don't give up 5 hole goals that easily either. Fun video to watch, but not anything I would expect to translate to a higher level.

You mean, moves like this:

Hell, you saw a goal against an NHL goaltender scored in similar fashion just a couple nights ago. Let's take a look at the big screen:

The cult of pooping on skill and creativity is absurd, especially considering we had the pleasure of watching Pavel freakin' Datsyuk for an entire career. Embrace the crazy stuff, it's entertaining and it works.

On-topic, absolute bummer that Berggren is out for the year... again. Hopefully this doesn't ultimately prevent him from reaching his potential.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Have to wonder if Berggren wouldn't have benefited from going the college route. Come over, play fewer games but have more time for off-ice training to build strength and some mass.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Embrace the crazy stuff, it's entertaining and it works.
Stuff that works, works. Stuff that doesn't, doesn't.

There are thousands of kids that have a great Cool Between the Legs Moves/60 that never come close to pro hockey.
Similarly, because he can do things like this vs lower leagues doesn't mean he can or can not do it in higher leagues.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You mean, moves like this:

Hell, you saw a goal against an NHL goaltender scored in similar fashion just a couple nights ago. Let's take a look at the big screen:

The cult of pooping on skill and creativity is absurd, especially considering we had the pleasure of watching Pavel freakin' Datsyuk for an entire career. Embrace the crazy stuff, it's entertaining and it works.

On-topic, absolute bummer that Berggren is out for the year... again. Hopefully this doesn't ultimately prevent him from reaching his potential.

I don't see a 5 hole goal in any of those videos.... look at the shot placement on Ovy's goal.

Larkin came at speed across the crease and the goalie couldn't slide over fast enough. Not anything similar to Berggren's goal where he comes straight at the goalie who for some reason leaves the 5 hole wide open.

Not really sure what you're watching, the only similarities in the video are that the defenders got beat bad.

Edit: If you want examples of bad NHL defenders and goalies, you should probably look at WIngs highlights.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't know if it because he was injured , but I expected much more from him at preseason

He had a touch too much hype with a decent chunk of the board in my opinion. Lots of skill and a good player, but he is going to have to learn the game over here, what he does doesn't necessarily translate as well. I think he will make those adjustments and get better, starting in Grand Rapids should be good for him.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
He played limited minutes with AHL 2nd and 3rd liners....usually on the road. I'm not sure what people expected based on his usage. He's clearly not in the favored son category at this point, and I dont even remember him getting pp time in the games that he was in. He had a couple of flashes that I noticed but they definitely plan on making him adjust and shine this year in GR. Not even sure if he'll get a call up this year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think people are expecting too much too fast. By all accounts, injury or not, he didn't look physically ready for the NHL.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->