33rd Overall Jonatan Berggren

Dead Thing

Jun 24, 2018
Nothing against Berggren, but I would have preferred Serron Noel who the Panthers took with the following pick. Not only is Noel 7 inches taller, but more importantly he is a right handed shooter. Unless they bring Frk back, Nastasiuk is the sole righty forward on the roster/in the system. The idea of 6'5"Mantha/6'5"Rasmussen/6'5"Noel as a forward line is quite appealing.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Nothing against Berggren, but I would have preferred Serron Noel who the Panthers took with the following pick. Not only is Noel 7 inches taller, but more importantly he is a right handed shooter. Unless they bring Frk back, Nastasiuk is the sole righty forward on the roster/in the system. The idea of 6'5"Mantha/6'5"Rasmussen/6'5"Noel as a forward line is quite appealing.

I for one am very relieved we didn't take Noel; he has bust written all over him to me.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Berggren was one of my favorites coming into the draft and I'm super happy we got him. I think he's got great upside and love the way he plays the game. His numbers are great and I'm really excited to see him in a wings jersey.

Reactions: hkydave04

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who's a comparable to this guy? W. Nylander?

That's aiming too high. Kind of reminds me of a Tatar/Nyquist hybrid a little. Skates like Nyquist, but attacks like Tatar.

Edit: I do think he has the upside to be more than those guys, FWIW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He is playmaker and good 2 way player, fest ,skilled and plays at any situation 5on 5 , PP and PK. What else do you want. I am thrilled all forwards we drafted could do all of this., so different from previous pics

Reactions: hkydave04

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Is he more of a RW than a LW? I see Zadina as a RW due to his lateral ability coming over the line as when he cuts to middle of ice he’s in a way more dangerous spot. Is this the same with berggren

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
That's aiming too high. Kind of reminds me of a Tatar/Nyquist hybrid a little. Skates like Nyquist, but attacks like Tatar.

Edit: I do think he has the upside to be more than those guys, FWIW.
I think this is spot on. He really does give me Nyquist vibes, but I think he's more of a Tatar body type, as well. He sure seems a lot bigger to me than 5'10, but I guess the numbers don't lie.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I cant see what Hakan Andersson said... Anyone give me a quick summary. I couldnt find the clip on youtube anywhere...

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I cant see what Hakan Andersson said... Anyone give me a quick summary. I couldnt find the clip on youtube anywhere...
He gave the pretty typical Berggren scouting report. He's a very fast high intensity player with skill. He can score well and lead the Swedish Juniors in scoring. He compared him to Arvidson.

Then he talked about our European goalies. Said that he sort of defers to their goalie guy that can analyze positioning, movement, technique and reads in the same way that Andersson can identify the strengths of skaters. He likes the goalies they took and thinks they have the potential to have a season like Larsson did.

Hakan seems very high on Larsson. He had a great year and projects to be a good goalie for the wings.

I think that's about everything interesting.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
He gave the pretty typical Berggren scouting report. He's a very fast high intensity player with skill. He can score well and lead the Swedish Juniors in scoring. He compared him to Arvidson.

Then he talked about our European goalies. Said that he sort of defers to their goalie guy that can analyze positioning, movement, technique and reads in the same way that Andersson can identify the strengths of skaters. He likes the goalies they took and thinks they have the potential to have a season like Larsson did.

Hakan seems very high on Larsson. He had a great year and projects to be a good goalie for the wings.

I think that's about everything interesting.
Do you find it odd that Hakan doesn’t keep in contact/watch progression of the prospects he scouted? Maybe this is very common but I would think one would be curious.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Do you find it odd that Hakan doesn’t keep in contact/watch progression of the prospects he scouted? Maybe this is very common but I would think one would be curious.

His job is scouting, not player development. I'm sure he keeps an eye on things, but he's not spending time watching players in the system.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I would assume he's too busy looking for the next draft class?
Kinda like a kindergarten teacher. I'm sure they'd love to know exactly how each student continues to learn and grow every year thereafter, but free time is limited when the new rugrats are coloring on the walls and eating paste all over again.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I don't find it odd as I'm sure most/all scouts are that way, but honestly I could see some benefit to keeping track of prospects. "This guy struggled in his third year because of this issue and that guy never reached his potential because of this quality etc." could be informative for future scouting. I'm sure he's just too busy with the next year to worry about prospects he's drafted.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I don't find it odd as I'm sure most/all scouts are that way, but honestly I could see some benefit to keeping track of prospects. "This guy struggled in his third year because of this issue and that guy never reached his potential because of this quality etc." could be informative for future scouting. I'm sure he's just too busy with the next year to worry about prospects he's drafted.
That is my line of thinking and I get he probably doesn’t have a ton of time but watching a little may help. I’m also suggesting this for the prospects he went to bat for so the amount each year wouldn’t be too high.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->