32 years since Canada Cup '87

hackandslash

Sep 6, 2019
To me I see it as the absolute peak of hockey. And I understand 32 years ago, conditioning has changed, the skill level today is generations ahead, speed of the game is night and day, a focus more on system hockey, shot blocking, advanced analytics.

But still I see this and the skill level, the legends. The fact that it took place when it could still be wild pond hockey unrestrained mayhem and creativity. It's still the absolute best the sport ever offered to me.

I love hockey now. But it can be a bit robotic in certain areas. It wasn't at all back then

Reactions: scott clam

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This was just awesome hockey all around. I don't think there has ever been a finer display of hockey before or since. I watch the tapes and to this day, even knowing the outcome, I STILL get nervous when Makarov or Krutov are carrying the puck. That team was such a well oiled machine. Just never out of position and you can tell they knew each other well. Canada winning that tournament just shows you how prolific Gretzky and Lemieux were.

Keenan made some questionable roster choices but I get the feeling he wanted to mold this team to beat the Soviets. This is why Norman Rochefort is on there, an unheralded guy.

There were defensemen such as Robinson, Lowe, Potvin, Wilson, Stevens and MacInnis that weren't there for various reasons. Outside of Coffey, Bourque and Murphy there wasn't any other "star" power on defense. I think there were times when the Soviets made some moves on the ice that someone such as Robinson or Stevens or Potvin even at the time wouldn't have allowed. But we'll never know.

Up front Neely was cut, Clark too. I am still very surprised that a guy like Savard was cut from the team. If there was a guy who would add to the explosiveness and could go toe-to-toe with any of the Soviets skill-wise it was him. Even with Gretzky, Lemieux and Messier down the middle and Hawerchuk playing wherever I still figure Savard was a big enough star to just fit in somewhere somehow. A myth about Yzerman is that he should have been on this team. It was 1987, he had a 90 point year and broke out the following year to the level that we remember him at in 1991 when he really shouldn't have been cut. 1987 I could see.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Cheesy behind the scenes video in the style common in the 80s and 90s. I love that stuff. All parts are online.

I also think that Savard should have been on the 1987 team, but the results were there and the team didn't struggle to score.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
To me I see it as the absolute peak of hockey. And I understand 32 years ago, conditioning has changed, the skill level today is generations ahead, speed of the game is night and day, a focus more on system hockey, shot blocking, advanced analytics.

But still I see this and the skill level, the legends. The fact that it took place when it could still be wild pond hockey unrestrained mayhem and creativity. It's still the absolute best the sport ever offered to me.

I love hockey now. But it can be a bit robotic in certain areas. It wasn't at all back then
I like your post, but I disagree with the bolded. "Skill level" is a very abstract concept to try and measure, but I cannot see how or why it would be better in one generation than another. Now, if you mean "median skill level in the NHL", then I basically agree, because nowadays even 4th-liners and occasional minor-league call-ups have to be able to play with a high level of skill, which wasn't always the case 30 to 35 years ago.

I also disagree with speed. I mean, look at Coffey and Gartner in Canada Cup '87. Those guys could easily pace with the Connor McDavid's of today. That said, the pace of hockey games in the late '80s -- even high-skilled ones, like the Canada Cup -- appears slower in general because players played longer shifts. But if you were to isolate the shorter shifts with fresh players in '87 and stack those clips up against the average shifts in 2019, there's no difference in speed.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think there was any surprise in 1987 when Clark and Neely were cut by Keenan (and Muckler, Perron, and Watt).

Patrick Roy would be a little more surprising, but Hextall was Keenan's guy (just won the Conn Smythe), and Kelly Hrudey's stock, believe it or not, was probably higher than Roy's in mid-1987. (It's amazing to think if the Canada Cup had been in 1986 instead of 1987 -- Hextall wouldn't be there and maybe Fuhr would be, but would Kelly Hrudey have started?? That was his best season.)

Then, what about Yzerman and Savard? That's a tough one. Savard had just come off his lowest-scoring season since his rookie year, and the Hawks had sagged in the standings. Maybe his standing was a little lower at just this moment than usual. There's also the fact that Glen Sather (which means probably John Muckler and, I think, some of the Oilers' players) didn't like Savard. That may have been subtly communicated to Keenan or something, I don't know.

Yzerman, as Phil says above, wasn't a superstar until the following season. Still, you'd think a guy who was already team captain, 12th overall in scoring on a sub .500 defensive team, and already had some Canada Cup experience would be an easy pick. But this is Keenan.

Does anyone know what was the source of Keenan's dislike of Yzerman? I've never understood it.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Then, what about Yzerman and Savard? That's a tough one. Savard had just come off his lowest-scoring season since his rookie year, and the Hawks had sagged in the standings. Maybe his standing was a little lower at just this moment than usual. There's also the fact that Glen Sather (which means probably John Muckler and, I think, some of the Oilers' players) didn't like Savard. That may have been subtly communicated to Keenan or something, I don't know.

I know that a lot of stuff could have stemmed from the 1984 Canada Cup. Sather cut Savard and there was a bit of bad blood after that between them. Again, even though Savard was a superstar the centre position was tough to crack for Canada, but he is one of those players that I think was just too good to ignore from the team. That 1984 team struggled early on too.

I looked up 1987 and was surprised Savard had a rare bad postseason. Maybe that helped? I don't know, still 9o points in 70 games, on pace for his usual 100+ point seasons.

Yzerman, as Phil says above, wasn't a superstar until the following season. Still, you'd think a guy who was already team captain, 12th overall in scoring on a sub .500 defensive team, and already had some Canada Cup experience would be an easy pick. But this is Keenan.

Does anyone know what was the source of Keenan's dislike of Yzerman? I've never understood it.

1987 I can understand. There were guys who didn't make it that had as good if not better careers to that point than Yzerman such as Francis, Nicholls and even Dino. Yzerman started skyrocketing in 1987-'88 so it doesn't make sense that he was cut in 1991 because he was simply too talented and explosive of a player to ignore by that time.

But I have no idea what Keenan didn't like about Yzerman. With someone like Mike Babcock I can see why he didn't care so much about PK Subban on Team Canada, but with Yzerman he'd have given that 1991 team a shot in the arm offensively. 1987 I still at the very least Savard is a better choice.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
This was just awesome hockey all around. I don't think there has ever been a finer display of hockey before or since. I watch the tapes and to this day, even knowing the outcome, I STILL get nervous when Makarov or Krutov are carrying the puck. That team was such a well oiled machine. Just never out of position and you can tell they knew each other well. Canada winning that tournament just shows you how prolific Gretzky and Lemieux were.

Keenan made some questionable roster choices but I get the feeling he wanted to mold this team to beat the Soviets. This is why Norman Rochefort is on there, an unheralded guy.

There were defensemen such as Robinson, Lowe, Potvin, Wilson, Stevens and MacInnis that weren't there for various reasons. Outside of Coffey, Bourque and Murphy there wasn't any other "star" power on defense. I think there were times when the Soviets made some moves on the ice that someone such as Robinson or Stevens or Potvin even at the time wouldn't have allowed. But we'll never know.

Up front Neely was cut, Clark too. I am still very surprised that a guy like Savard was cut from the team. If there was a guy who would add to the explosiveness and could go toe-to-toe with any of the Soviets skill-wise it was him. Even with Gretzky, Lemieux and Messier down the middle and Hawerchuk playing wherever I still figure Savard was a big enough star to just fit in somewhere somehow. A myth about Yzerman is that he should have been on this team. It was 1987, he had a 90 point year and broke out the following year to the level that we remember him at in 1991 when he really shouldn't have been cut. 1987 I could see.
I don't think Savard was even invited to training camp in '87. At forward, Muller, Tanti, Yzerman, Ciccarelli, Poulin, Clark, Neely, and Derrick Smith were all cut, and S. Turgeon had his arm broken during camp.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think Denis savard loathed Sather, an perhaps Keenan as well.

I only base that on an altercation he had with Glen Sather when he made a lewd gesture at him during a hawks/oilers game.

Savard also didn't last long when Keenan got to Chicago. Perhaps he never thought much of savard.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't think Savard was even invited to training camp in '87. At forward, Muller, Tanti, Yzerman, Ciccarelli, Poulin, Clark, Neely, and Derrick Smith were all cut, and S. Turgeon had his arm broken during camp.

Right...……….it looks like just 1984 he was cut. I swear I remember seeing a 1987 Canada Cup team picture prior to the cuts and Savard was there, but I could be wrong. Hard to imagine he doesn't even get the invite in 1987 but I guess if you have Gretzky, Lemieux and Messier down the middle that's your skilled centres. Gilmour and Hawerchuk were used in more versatile roles. Savard wouldn't be useful as a checker, he needed to be a scorer.

I think Denis savard loathed Sather, an perhaps Keenan as well.

I only base that on an altercation he had with Glen Sather when he made a lewd gesture at him during a hawks/oilers game.

Savard also didn't last long when Keenan got to Chicago. Perhaps he never thought much of savard.

That's probably what it came down to. Keenan was set in his ways and since he usually got results it is hard to question. He probably liked the contribution Savard made in the 1989 and 1990 playoffs though before he left town.

hackandslash

Sep 6, 2019
I like your post, but I disagree with the bolded. "Skill level" is a very abstract concept to try and measure, but I cannot see how or why it would be better in one generation than another. Now, if you mean "median skill level in the NHL", then I basically agree, because nowadays even 4th-liners and occasional minor-league call-ups have to be able to play with a high level of skill, which wasn't always the case 30 to 35 years ago.

I also disagree with speed. I mean, look at Coffey and Gartner in Canada Cup '87. Those guys could easily pace with the Connor McDavid's of today. That said, the pace of hockey games in the late '80s -- even high-skilled ones, like the Canada Cup -- appears slower in general because players played longer shifts. But if you were to isolate the shorter shifts with fresh players in '87 and stack those clips up against the average shifts in 2019, there's no difference in speed.

Good point regarding the longer shifts. Didn't really think of that.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Is there honestly a better display of hockey than Canada and the Soviets in 1987? Two scary good teams. Honestly, I watch that series and I KNOW the plays and the goals that are going to be made and a guy like Makarov still makes the hair stand on the back of my head when he has the puck. It was just magic out there. When Lemieux scored everyone on the Canadian side was an eventual HHOFer that was on the ice. Gretzky, Hawerchuk, Lemieux, Murphy, Coffey and Fuhr. This is a series that makes you love the game and glad you are a fan.

One thing I always found interesting, in one of the biggest faceoffs in hockey history Keenan could have gone with anyone on his team for it. Messier is the obvious choice in that situation and even so Gretzky and Lemieux are on the ice but no, it was Hawerchuk who took the draw. Maybe I am looking into it too much but my guess is that Keenan had him out there because he trusted him in that situation. He knew him from the time of junior hockey. I just get the feeling it was more than just random.

That was the thing with Tikhonov. He was the type of coach who was very robotic and was able to mold his team like a well oiled machine, but I never thought of him as a guy who was able to change very well on the fly. Not good with line changes, he didn't have the KLM line out there vs. Gretzky and Lemieux at the end. Didn't even practice faceoffs from what I remember. Lastly, this was a typical storyline of the Soviets, he never pulled the goalie to tie the game. It was bizarre.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I just came across the official souvenir magazine for the 1987 Canada Cup and remembered this thread. It’s a very interesting magazine I think. I’ve attached a few pictures.

Attachments

• 9928EEA6-B698-484B-82C8-AA049EA60377.jpeg
    9928EEA6-B698-484B-82C8-AA049EA60377.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 2
  • 26D814A5-2845-4A1A-A851-622F24558F64.jpeg
    26D814A5-2845-4A1A-A851-622F24558F64.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 9ECE7797-0524-40D9-9F9A-0CB8EE0F228E.jpeg
    9ECE7797-0524-40D9-9F9A-0CB8EE0F228E.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 1
  • EE8BFF04-39CE-4E05-AD6F-A6C22C79694F.jpeg
    EE8BFF04-39CE-4E05-AD6F-A6C22C79694F.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 1

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I just came across the official souvenir magazine for the 1987 Canada Cup and remembered this thread. It’s a very interesting magazine I think. I’ve attached a few pictures.
Nice, thanks for posting. I think I remember this, but I don't have a copy. I do have a copy of "Canada Cup '87: The Official History", which came out after the tournament.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is there honestly a better display of hockey than Canada and the Soviets in 1987? Two scary good teams. Honestly, I watch that series and I KNOW the plays and the goals that are going to be made and a guy like Makarov still makes the hair stand on the back of my head when he has the puck. It was just magic out there. When Lemieux scored everyone on the Canadian side was an eventual HHOFer that was on the ice. Gretzky, Hawerchuk, Lemieux, Murphy, Coffey and Fuhr. This is a series that makes you love the game and glad you are a fan.

One thing I always found interesting, in one of the biggest faceoffs in hockey history Keenan could have gone with anyone on his team for it. Messier is the obvious choice in that situation and even so Gretzky and Lemieux are on the ice but no, it was Hawerchuk who took the draw. Maybe I am looking into it too much but my guess is that Keenan had him out there because he trusted him in that situation. He knew him from the time of junior hockey. I just get the feeling it was more than just random.

That was the thing with Tikhonov. He was the type of coach who was very robotic and was able to mold his team like a well oiled machine, but I never thought of him as a guy who was able to change very well on the fly. Not good with line changes, he didn't have the KLM line out there vs. Gretzky and Lemieux at the end. Didn't even practice faceoffs from what I remember. Lastly, this was a typical storyline of the Soviets, he never pulled the goalie to tie the game. It was bizarre.

1987 was amazing. I never watched it live, but the Soviets were basically like Barcelona FC on ice. I was glued even though I knew the outcome. Fantastic individual skills, and puck possession on display from the Soviets.

Really, I'd say the hockey up until the 94 lockout was fantastic. 1993 was actually my favourite NHL year, but internationally, 87 was the peak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad