Sportsnet 31 Thoughts 11/27: Sweeney is shopping

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Must have been a slow week in Leafland because there's finally a bit of Bruins news in this week's column. :clap:

18. Hours before Boston’s 4-2 loss in Toronto on Monday, Bruins GM Don Sweeney confirmed he’s looking for help. “Up front, certainly.” he said.

19. Sweeney’s club has been decimated by injuries. Kevan Miller spent the night in a Toronto hospital after being hit in the throat by a puck. It was his fifth game back after being out 13. Torey Krug and John Moore also are back after missing time. Cornerstones Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara remain sidelined — joining Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo and Urho Vaakanainen.

“We don’t know what our team really looks like,” Sweeney said. “If there’s good news, it’s that some other guys have had to drive the bus…given us an idea of what they can do. (Coaches) Bruce Cassidy and Kevin Dean were part of our development plan, so they knew what we had.”

Who has impressed you? “(Jeremy) Lauzon. Small sample size, but he’s done well. Matt Grzelcyk. He’s come a long way…earned a higher profile, played almost 25 minutes (last Friday against Pittsburgh). Joakim Nordstrom, he’s our Swiss Army Knife up front.”

20. One of the things I asked Sweeney is if he ever worries that Bergeron’s body will give out. He’s going right to the Hall of Fame, but you wonder if it’s sooner rather than later because the 33-year-old’s been through some traumatic injuries.

“I don’t want to make it sound like I’m downplaying anything, but I don’t worry as much because it’s not concussion-related,” the GM answered. “If anything, sometimes we have to make him wait, because Patrice tries so hard to get back. He’s wired differently…all about winning, everything he does, you name it. It’s all about winning.”

21. Boston does one thing differently than any other visitor to Toronto. When Chara is playing, he gets a goaltender-sized stall; a little honour for him. Tuukka Rask gets the second, while his backup combines two regular-sized ones. With the captain out of action, Rask was in his regular spot (although not the evening’s starter) and Jaroslav Halak got the double. I was surprised they didn’t go the regular route, but the Bruins stayed consistent, awarding the unique perk to 877-game veteran David Backes. Neat detail.

Full column here: 31 Thoughts: Senators' Melnyk scrambling to save arena deal - Sportsnet.ca

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
20. One of the things I asked Sweeney is if he ever worries that Bergeron’s body will give out. He’s going right to the Hall of Fame, but you wonder if it’s sooner rather than later because the 33-year-old’s been through some traumatic injuries.
Well there's a depressing thought. :help:

I think Sweeney is right, though. Bergeron is definitely wired differently. :laugh:

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I suspect something is going to happen shortly :popcorn:

31 Thoughts: Senators' Melnyk scrambling to save arena deal - Sportsnet.ca

18. Hours before Boston’s 4-2 loss in Toronto on Monday, Bruins GM Don Sweeney confirmed he’s looking for help. “Up front, certainly.” he said.

19. Sweeney’s club has been decimated by injuries. Kevan Miller spent the night in a Toronto hospital after being hit in the throat by a puck. It was his fifth game back after being out 13. Torey Krug and John Moore also are back after missing time. Cornerstones Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara remain sidelined — joining Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo and Urho Vaakanainen.

“We don’t know what our team really looks like,” Sweeney said. “If there’s good news, it’s that some other guys have had to drive the bus…given us an idea of what they can do. (Coaches) Bruce Cassidy and Kevin Dean were part of our development plan, so they knew what we had.”

Who has impressed you? “(Jeremy) Lauzon. Small sample size, but he’s done well. Matt Grzelcyk. He’s come a long way…earned a higher profile, played almost 25 minutes (last Friday against Pittsburgh). Joakim Nordstrom, he’s our Swiss Army Knife up front.”

“I don’t want to make it sound like I’m downplaying anything, but I don’t worry as much because it’s not concussion-related,” the GM answered. “If anything, sometimes we have to make him wait, because Patrice tries so hard to get back. He’s wired differently…all about winning, everything he does, you name it. It’s all about winning.”

Mad Dr Pepper

Jun 28, 2015
Quebec
“If anything, sometimes we have to make him wait, because Patrice tries so hard to get back. He’s wired differently…all about winning, everything he does, you name it. It’s all about winning.”

God I love that part! Get well Bergy, we need you!

Reactions: Fenway

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I suspect something is going to happen shortly :popcorn:

31 Thoughts: Senators' Melnyk scrambling to save arena deal - Sportsnet.ca

Hope they do something, sooner rather than later. They have the assets, and my feeling is that they genuinely have the need. A month -- or more -- is a long time to be without #33 & #37. and a significant portion of your defense.

Reactions: BMC

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Well, looks like he’s going to make a deal. Some here will be happy but they should be biting there nails.

Reactions: Hamilton Brian

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
As long as it's not the colossal blunders like Seguin for odds and bits, Thornton for odds and bits, and Colbourne for Kaberle, we can probably breathe lightly.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I think if Sweeney does make a trade, it's going to be for a player/players that nobody saw coming... Similar to the signings of Moore & Halak.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
but I don’t worry as much because it’s not concussion-related

Which means Sweeney must be worried about all the injuries on his team that are concussion-related: Frederic, McAvoy (or is that an inner ear issue?), Carlo, DeBrusk, Zboril, Vaakanainen, etc., etc. And of course we have Rick Nash and Backes, who seems like one solid hit away from missing the rest of the season.

Clearly, the B's are being responsible about not rushing back players with concussion symptoms, and that's a good thing, but some of these guys have been out so long you have to wonder if they will be back this year.

Makes it hard for Sweeney to know what he's got. Maybe Frederic would have been a better option than JFK, and maybe Zboril would have begun to live up to his potential. The uncertainly makes trades more problematic.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney did exactly what he should have

Let 1/3 season play out

With health in my world they need a top 6 RW who’s young cost effective and will be around beyond this tese maybe longer

Tyler Toffoli is the guy who checks off all the boxes

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Which means Sweeney must be worried about all the injuries on his team that are concussion-related: Frederic, McAvoy (or is that an inner ear issue?), Carlo, DeBrusk, Zboril, Vaakanainen, etc., etc. And of course we have Rick Nash and Backes, who seems like one solid hit away from missing the rest of the season.

Clearly, the B's are being responsible about not rushing back players with concussion symptoms, and that's a good thing, but some of these guys have been out so long you have to wonder if they will be back this year.

Makes it hard for Sweeney to know what he's got. Maybe Frederic would have been a better option than JFK, and maybe Zboril would have begun to live up to his potential. The uncertainly makes trades more problematic.
it`s not just the concussions, it`s when speaking about a player like Frederic or any of the young prospects in Providence, while you want to see what they can do in the NHL at some point, you can`t put too much on their plate before they are ready or expect them to be able to step up and do what`s necessary at the NHL level right away

If the B`s had of gotten some of that secondary scoring that I think many here (and put me in this category) took for granted, we wouldn`t be having this conversation.

While I didn`t expect Bjork/Heinen and Donato to be lighting it up at the NHL level, to think the 3 of them combined would post 9 pts in 50 something games combined couldn`t also have been expected. You just never know how things will play out.

So yes, I`m sure DS is worried about concussions to the young players but that isn`t the reason he`s out there looking for help externally, truth is, that help just isn`t there yet internally which I`m sure he was hoping for

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

The silver lining is they atleast have a better feeling of what they have in JFK & Zboril- they have to project obviously but they got a taste

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The silver lining is they atleast have a better feeling of what they have in JFK & Zboril- they have to project obviously but they got a taste

Think you are right friend, I suppose we could also talk about Lauzon/Clifton and now Cave too when discussing evaluating what they got. Cave appears to be a guy who plays a quiet yet responsible game. I`m totally limited to only his NHL games during this call up so not a huge body of work but I liked the simplicity of his game.

JFK isn`t ready, can`t win a bloody faceoff with nearly enough consistency, Zboril had one rough period in that first game (shocker) then settled in nicely. Either way, the kids looked good, looking forward to seeing Donato tomorrow night, surely they didn`t recall him to sit upstairs

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Sweeney did exactly what he should have

Let 1/3 season play out

With health in my world they need a top 6 RW who’s young cost effective and will be around beyond this tese maybe longer

Tyler Toffoli is the guy who checks off all the boxes

Vaakanainen still a no go in regard to getting Toffoli?

With the way that Lauzon and Clifton have played, I'm definitely more inclined to do it than in September.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Vaakanainen still a no go in regard to getting Toffoli?

With the way that Lauzon and Clifton have played, I'm definitely more inclined to do it than in September.

easy pass for me on dealing Vaak. 1st rounder, impressed at every level, looks the part of being in the same group as Carlo and McAvoy.

as good as Clifton and Lauzon have looked, they're no Vaak. A future top 4 of McAvoy-Carlo-Vaak-Grizz is tough to beat

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
easy pass for me on dealing Vaak. 1st rounder, impressed at every level, looks the part of being in the same group as Carlo and McAvoy.

as good as Clifton and Lauzon have looked, they're no Vaak. A future top 4 of McAvoy-Carlo-Vaak-Grizz is tough to beat

Fair enough.

Admittedly one of my flaws (maybe it's not a flaw?) is that I tend to put more stock in what players are, rather than what they might be.

The primary reason is obviously that it's easy to look up and see that Toffoli has a couple of 20+ goal seasons and a 31 goal season and with Vaakanainen, I'm left to try to project what he could be.

I get both sides of it though.

Maybe Toffoli isn't the guy to get for him. If we were talking about a guy like Kessel for instance (not suggesting this is possible, just using him for argument's sake) I'd be hard pressed to say no, given his ability to score 30-40.

The devil is in the details in these discussions though.

Maybe, for the Bruins, Toffoli isn't enough to trade Vaak for.

Maybe, for Pittsburgh, Vaak isn't enough to get Kessel. (Again just using him as an example of a productive player)

Who knows what Vaak could bring back?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Not much offence there in your future top 4.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not much offence there in your future top 4.

McAvoy had 32 pts in 63 games as a rookie, and 6 in 7 before getting hurt this year.

Not out of the question to pencil him in for ~50pts a year.

beyond him, that's what the 3rd pair is for. stash a PMD there for sheltering and PP minutes

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
McAvoy had 32 pts in 63 games as a rookie, and 6 in 7 before getting hurt this year.

Not out of the question to pencil him in for ~50pts a year.

beyond him, that's what the 3rd pair is for. stash a PMD there for sheltering and PP minutes

No its not out of the question for McAvoy .Yes he had 6 pts in 7 games but to be quite honest I did not think he was playing that well .Anyways he is a keeper and top 4 for sure.The other 3 ?I imagine Carlo will be in Bruins top 4 but is a dark hole on offence.Grizz and Vaak I dunno yet.Maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad