Post-Game Talk: #31: FLYERS at Canucks, Saturday, Dec. 15, 2018, 10:00 pm ET

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Whats the Stolie news, I took a complete day off from this team yest.

Was Lyon announced as starter and then Honk decided to try and break Stolie as a going away gift ??

Yeah Lyon was supposed to start and apparently Stolarz was having back spasms yesterday. He still started Stolarz instead and pulled him after 2 goals in less than 10 minutes.

STAGGERING STUPIDITY.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They had 98 points last year, 96 two years ago, that was their potential.
They had 49 points in 48 games in 2012-13 under Lavi, I doubt that was their potential.
The next year they had 94 points under Berube.

Teams fluctuate year to year.
Eventually, most coaches wear out their welcome, even top coaches.

Talent will out, some coaches can get more out of talent on a consistent basis, but no coach is a miracle worker.

They missed out on numerous points due to Hakstol's incompetence. That's the problem.

You can point at the point totals and pretend that's as good as they could have done, but you're wrong.

I don't understand why you are so terrified of my very easy questions, though. Do you believe Hakstol has made no mistakes with player usage? Do you think this is the ideal usage?

Do you think there is a single coach who is better than Hakstol?

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
think we all can agree it's BEYOND time for a change.....let's hope HockeyBuzz is onto something about Quennville after the Holidays :nod:

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hey now.

How could have ever guessed it was a bad idea to:

Dress a goalie on b2b
suffering from back spasms that day
playing in only his 12 game of the year
after only playing 4 last year
because of knee surgeries

Who could have ever guessed that was a bad idea?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Yeah Lyon was supposed to start and apparently Stolarz was having back spasms yesterday. He still started Stolarz instead and pulled him after 2 goals in less than 10 minutes.

STAGGERING STUPIDITY.

He probably only pulled him because he got hurt. I saw they put an emergency goalie on the bench. He wouldn't have pulled him for poor play

(Sorry if that was discussed, don't feel like reading)

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
This is a personal complaint, but Hextall was so obsessed with “professionalism” & off-ice behavior that he built a boring, businessman-like team, including the coach. They don’t play with enough personality & pestiness. And they also are one of the slowest teams in a league that keeps getting faster.

I am on board with you on this point as well. I mentioned in some other thread that this team is just as bad as the ones during the Farwell years but I enjoyed watching those guys way more because of this.

I'd go even one step further to say is it really that terrible to just go balls out brawling like we did against Washington a few years back when we are getting our asses kicked on the scoreboard? I know there are a lot of detractors on this side of the game, but when used effectively, that aspect of the game makes the whole team play in a certain way that prevents a lot of silly needless finesse plays that are so prevalent with the team right now. I much rather see a simple dump in to the corner and a forechecker going hard after it than the no- look-backhand passes east/west of the neutral zone that our team seems to be so enamored with lately.

Hextall has done well building the farm system and set up the team, but I really hate him for neutering the personality and identity of this team.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I am on board with you on this point as well. I mentioned in some other thread that this team is just as bad as the ones during the Farwell years but I enjoyed watching those guys way more because of this.

I'd go even one step further to say is it really that terrible to just go balls out brawling like we did against Washington a few years back when we are getting our asses kicked on the scoreboard? I know there are a lot of detractors on this side of the game, but when used effectively, that aspect of the game makes the whole team play in a certain way that prevents a lot of silly needless finesse plays that are so prevalent with the team right now. I much rather see a simple dump in to the corner and a forechecker going hard after it than the no- look-backhand passes east/west of the neutral zone that our team seems to be so enamored with lately.

Hextall has done well building the farm system and set up the team, but I really hate him for neutering the personality and identity of this team.
I agree 100%. Well said.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They missed out on numerous points due to Hakstol's incompetence. That's the problem.

You can point at the point totals and pretend that's as good as they could have done, but you're wrong.
I don't understand why you are so terrified of my very easy questions, though. Do you believe Hakstol has made no mistakes with player usage? Do you think this is the ideal usage?

Do you think there is a single coach who is better than Hakstol?

You can say that about ANY coach.
It comes down to a simple question, is the Flyers OVERALL talent as good as the top teams in the NHL.
No credible observer would say yes (Striiker is not credible).

So if their talent is second tier (and I'd say right now it's less than the sum of its parts) then you'd expect second tier results, i.e., somewhere around 8th - 12th or so in the NHL.

2017-18: 98-101 points (Flyers had 98)

This year they're obviously underachieving, but the fact remains that they're basically a 95-100 point team with average goaltending. With historically bad goaltending, 85-90?
So if they were playing up to their talent, they should have 32-34 points, not 28, this season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You can say that about ANY coach.
It comes down to a simple question, is the Flyers OVERALL talent as good as the top teams in the NHL.
No credible observer would say yes (Striiker is not credible).

So if their talent is second tier (and I'd say right now it's less than the sum of its parts) then you'd expect second tier results, i.e., somewhere around 8th - 12th or so in the NHL.

2017-18: 98-101 points (Flyers had 98)

This year they're obviously underachieving, but the fact remains that they're basically a 95-100 point team with average goaltending. With historically bad goaltending, 85-90?
So if they were playing up to their talent, they should have 32-34 points, not 28, this season.

You ducked the questions. How about you answer instead of going off on an unrelated tangent?

Do you think this roster was used to its best potential by Hakstol? Do you think there is any coach in the NHL who is better than Hakstol?

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Hey now.

How could have ever guessed it was a bad idea to:

Dress a goalie on b2b
suffering from back spasms that day
playing in only his 12 game of the year
after only playing 4 last year
because of knee surgeries

Who could have ever guessed that was a bad idea?

Yeah, Hakstol sucks but what the heck is wrong with Dillabaugh the goalie coach if he keeps allowing crap like this. This guy isn't getting enough sh*t for what he deserves.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah, Hakstol sucks but what the heck is wrong with Dillabaugh the goalie coach if he keeps allowing crap like this. This guy isn't getting enough sh*t for what he deserves.

This organization has proven time and time again that the goalie coach doesn't get much of a say in these thubgs. See Mason's downfall with Reese being sent out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Given the core should set the tone for the team, aren't you really criticizing Hextall for retaining the core?

Though I don't think it's that simple, Simmonds tries to fire up the team, but he seems like he's in the wrong decade. You can't start fights and change games like the good old days, you end up with more penalties and digging a deeper hole.

Raffl and TK do set the right tone, but there aren't enough players like them, flying down the ice, making things happen.

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
Given the core should set the tone for the team, aren't you really criticizing Hextall for retaining the core?

Though I don't think it's that simple, Simmonds tries to fire up the team, but he seems like he's in the wrong decade. You can't start fights and change games like the good old days, you end up with more penalties and digging a deeper hole.

Raffl and TK do set the right tone, but there aren't enough players like them, flying down the ice, making things happen.

Your post seems almost rhetorical since the bolded portion of your post is really my point.

Without beating a dead horse on such a minor point, but let's face it. Our core, save for Simmonds, are primarily high skill finesse players. It was Hexy's job to supplement them with players that would allow the skill players to "play bigger." But we've had the cast of supporting characters for nearly 4 years running that you KNEW that weren't going to provide that. Developing youngsters is one thing, but Hexy overcooked a portion of this roster with players that were neither here nor there and his record of bringing FA is spotty at best.

In retrospect, Hartnell for Umberger trade was really the foreshadowing of how Hexy wanted his team's personality to be. I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that we have a last minute marketing schtick they are pulling with upcoming Hartnell night after Hexy has been let go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->