OT: 30 years ago - May 20, 1993 - Jay Leno does the 'Tonight Show' LIVE from a Boston bar - It didn't go well

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
30 years ago tonight, May 20, 1993, the last episode of Cheers aired on NBC.

Jay Leno decided to honor the moment he would do a LIVE 'Tonight Show' with the cast from the bar in Boston that the show was based on.

A LIVE show from a real bar at 11:30 PM ET - What could possibly go wrong?

I worked camera on this epic disaster​

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Holy shit I can't believe you worked this. And I can't believe there isn't a documentary about it yet. Or a huge y'all history from Jim Miller.
@EverettMike That show paid off for me in the end as NBC found out I could handle a situation of being live and trapped.

Jay after we wrapped bought the crew dinner with takeout from Buzzy's

1684654499341.png

We were still feeding stuff to NBC LA at 2 AM

I can't describe how crazy Boston was that night

Reactions: Dreghorn2

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
@EverettMike That show paid off for me in the end as NBC found out I could handle a situation of being live and trapped.

Jay after we wrapped bought the crew dinner with takeout from Buzzy's

View attachment 711009

We were still feeding stuff to NBC LA at 2 AM

I can't describe how crazy Boston was that night

I have memories of this night, but I was too young for the truly insane stuff.

I recently explained this whole thing in my work slack. Would have made for the greatest night in Twitter history.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
On a related note, maybe some of the Canadian posters will remember.

During one of the Canada Cups during the 1970s or 80s, i can't remember which one, CBC came up with the great idea of covering the game from a cross country perspective. They placed broadcasters in different bars across Canada from Newfoundland to British Columbia with a couple in between. They would check in on the action and excitement from these various bars throughout the game.

Well each time they checked into the situation in Saint John's Nfld., things were a little bit crazier -- bar filling up getting wild - lots of background yelling when the broadcaster was speaking - broadcaster being jostled during the telecast etc.. culminating in the final scene where the broadcaster in tight quarters and constantly being pushed and swayed tried valiantly to make his final report when suddenly a hand from off screen appears holding a full pitcher of draft beer which is then promptly poured over the head of the poor guy and the transmission goes dark, damn i never laughed so hard.

What they expected from a bar in Nfld. I'll never know. I've tried to find the footage online but can't.

Not quite as poor a decision from CBC as the famous 'let's put a microphone on the bench live during a game' call the led to Bobby Clarkes infamous line but still funny.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
The last episode of Cheers sucked, and the late night show was a train wreck. Fenway, I can't believe you were there. I was living in Colorado and watched it with a couple of friends from Boston and we were all disappointed, although we were amused by some of the cringe-worthy stuff in the bar.

I think Boggs and Clemens were both on the Yankees and somehow made it to the bar after a night game in the Bronx.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The last episode of Cheers sucked, and the late night show was a train wreck. Fenway, I can't believe you were there. I was living in Colorado and watched it with a couple of friends from Boston and we were all disappointed, although we were amused by some of the cringe-worthy stuff in the bar.

I think Boggs and Clemens were both on the Yankees and somehow made it to the bar after a night game in the Bronx.
Boggs was a Yankee in 1993, but Clemens was still a Red Sock. Yankees had an off day on May 20th but were coming to Boston for a series starting May 21st. Red Sox played at Fenway earlier that night against Toronto. So it wasn't unreasonable for them both to be there.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad