News and Blog Report: 30 Thoughts, hire Maurice to help

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...ice-could-ease-pressure-on-oilers-eakins.html

After hiring Eakins, the Oilers added Keith Acton, an NHL assistant since 1994, to join returnees Kelly Buchberger and Steve Smith. The team interviewed at least two others for that associate coach position. One was Rick Bowness, who went to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The other was Paul Maurice.

Maurice is working for TSN, no doubt burning to get back to the bench in a meaningful way. I can't help but wonder if his experience would help Eakins and the Oilers. The two men have great respect for each other and worked together in Toronto.

When you're a wealthy franchise, and Edmonton is by NHL revenue standards, this is the advantage you have. There's the salary cap, yes. But nothing stops you from adding off the ice, if necessary.

If MacTavish doesn't want to, he doesn't need to let go of anyone. He can add Maurice's experience and figure out responsibilities along the way. You don't have to trade cornerstone players or take on a ridiculous salary.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I'm sure they would have if he was interested but he must have said no back in the summer. Dont see why he'd change his mind now.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
When was 30 thoughts posted? Stauffer said the same thing on twitter last night.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I thought I read that Maurice wanted a head coaching gig. If he's willing to be part of a team setup, I'd be all over adding him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm sure they would have if he was interested but he must have said no back in the summer. Dont see why he'd change his mind now.
To get back into the game?
When was 30 thoughts posted? Stauffer said the same thing on twitter last night.
8:37am
I thought I read that Maurice wanted a head coaching gig. If he's willing to be part of a team setup, I'd be all over adding him.

Could come in with the agreement that if a head coach job comes up we don't stop him.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
IIRC, Paul Maurice plays a free flowing offensive system does he not? Skinner played really well under him. Canes also scored quite often when he was their head coach. If I'm not mistaken, his special teams sucked pretty bad though.

With the right 'duties' I wouldn't mind adding him as an assistant or consultant or something.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
To get back into the game?

8:37am

Could come in with the agreement that if a head coach job comes up we don't stop him

Interesting idea... I hope MacT is thinking about this. Our coaching could use an upgrade. If Eakins is staying(and it appears he is) then Acton, Bucky and Smith isn't good enough for the rest of the group.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
IIRC, Paul Maurice plays a free flowing offensive system does he not? Skinner played really well under him. Canes also scored quite often when he was their head coach. If I'm not mistaken, his special teams sucked pretty bad though.

With the right 'duties' I wouldn't mind adding him as an assistant or consultant or something.

I think that's what it would be, a vet NHL head coach to offer his input. I can't see him coming to make strategies, but more of a tweaker for Eakins. I know Eakins likes to sit up in the stands some practices, so having Maurice run practices might be an option as well.

Even if it isn't Maurice, is there someone else that fits the bill of a former HC that could come in and be off some sort of help to Eakins?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I would love it if they would get rid of Buchberger and Smith, and replaced them with some good coaches. I really wanted them to bring in Larry Robinson in the summer to be an assistant and run things with our defence, now he's in SJ.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Just a few days ago, MacTavish held a press conference and announced that he "couldn't be happier with the coaching".

If he now hires somebody of the stature of Maurice, it is clear our GM is once again running off at the mouth without knowing what he is talking about, much like he was doing in the summer.

My advice to MacT is to simply shut up for the time being, and let his actions speak for themselves.

Once we are eliminated from the playoffs, he can call a presser and explain what went wrong, and then start making grandiose promises about how he's going to make great changes for next year - which the media will lap up, without asking a single pertinent question.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Sure lets add some more to our bloated front office without punting anyone.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I would love it if they would get rid of Buchberger and Smith, and replaced them with some good coaches. I really wanted them to bring in Larry Robinson in the summer to be an assistant and run things with our defence, now he's in SJ.

Sure lets add some more to our bloated front office without punting anyone.

We all want Bucky and Smith gone, but the Oilers rarely fire ex-Oilers. I will be content if they are moved to other positions. Hoping to end the cronyism that runs deep through this organization all in one fell swoop seems overly optimistic to me.

In my perfect world, they find new a new job for Bucky immediately, and replace him with Maurice. Then when the Jets keep sucking and fire the coaches, including Huddy, they move Smith to another position and bring him back to teach the defense. Huddy worked wonders with some less than stellar names here.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He could be the Deputy Vice-Chair to the Executive Vice-President of Coaching Excellence.

Ambiguous enough to absolve everyone of any new accountability.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He could be the Deputy Vice-Chair to the Executive Vice-President of Coaching Excellence.

Ambiguous enough to absolve everyone of any new accountability.

________

Step 1: Collect First Overall draft Picks
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Stanley Cup supremacy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->