News Article: 30 thoughts Conference switch weighs heavy on Jets

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...ughts-western-conference-tougher-on-jets.html

This part in particular got me thinking:

That means your evaluation process becomes different, too. The Jets made several commitments over the past two years and the hard thing to realize is those choices were made under a completely different set of criteria: Eastern Conference opposition.

The honest truth is, the switch means Winnipeg is farther away from contention than before. In that position, quick fixes do not work.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This is a very dangerous time for the Jets. When the pressure is on to do something, that's when an organization's collective head must be at its clearest.

^This one too. Friedman's Blog is must read every week for me Jets or not.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Meh, I still don't think we are that far off, even with the core we've signed long-term.

Ladd can play in the West, as can Byfuglien, in my opinion. Little? he's proving he can find production and be a two-way factor. Kane will be just fine in my opinion. Wheeler? he's learning but he's coming in my opinion, even before his solid last couple games I thought his production was in the target range for himself. Enstrom? he's small, but he's still a reliable factor out there logging key minutes. Bogosian will be fine so long as he can stay healthy, but that's not a 'West problem', that's a career issue to this point. On top of these guys we've got Scheifele and Trouba, who are adjusting and learning quite well in the West.

More excuses and headlines, in my opinion. See; truck's Arctic Ice Hockey article yesterday. Better players can bring better results, right now we just don't have the horses.

I think we'll be fine, so long as Chevy does his job and makes moves for the today and future to better the team. Trades are hard to make, but it isn't rocket science and at some point we'll make them, I believe. We're closer than many think, in my opinion, but it's on Chevy to improve the NHL roster, and it appears he now has assets that he didn't have before (Byfuglien? this years 1st in a weaker draft? if there is a year to do it it's this June, in my opinion).

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I think the Jets knew they we're moving to the West from the very first season.

Playing great teams can only make us better in the long run.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

It can also be very frustrating. Think Jets 1.0 getting stuck in the same division as Gretzky's Oilers. We had to have good teams to even get a sniff of the playoffs, but we still couldn't get past that team.

Patience is going to be required playing in the Central division.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
That is actually a rather lazy piece of analysis done by Friedman. The Jets have known since day one that they'd eventually be moved to the West. The fact of the matter is that those players needed to be signed to in order retain their value to the franchise. Their contracts will also prove cheap over time relative to an increasing cap going forward. Nor are the Jets necessarily tied to all of them through their terms; the parties can prearrange to waive any no-trade deals and be moved if need be. Though Friedman is apparently attempting/presuming to warn the franchise to not make any errors in judgement while under pressure, in reality he is talking about a group of guys that are following an internal plan and they are the last ones we can expect to panic under pressure. Any future changes will have long been already planned out and those changes will not be solely situational in nature as such. Fluff article. Meh.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think the Jets knew they we're moving to the West from the very first season.

100% agree with this..... Our previous conference was an enabler and we were able to get close enough that it felt like we were almost there. This division will force us to get better or languish. Nowhere to run nowhere to hide.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
What he's saying is countering the "fire Noel" crowd. There are growing pains moving to the west, these are them.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
He did. Mentioned the article on the rotten bottom six. He has given us shoutouts before, once in 30 thoughts and again on HNIC.

Pretty cool, especially since I respect the heck out of his analysis.

Friedman is one of the only reasons I look forward to coverage on CBC - he ALMOST offsets Stock and Healy.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It can also be very frustrating. Think Jets 1.0 getting stuck in the same division as Gretzky's Oilers. We had to have good teams to even get a sniff of the playoffs, but we still couldn't get past that team.

Patience is going to be required playing in the Central division.

"It's a dog-eat-dog world!"

vachon_chains.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad