Post-Game Talk: #30: Senators 3 at FLYERS 4, Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019, 1 pm ET [Konecny UBI]

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’ll check back later.

giphy.gif

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
i don't know wtf happened to our society in the last couple years where literally now people aren't allowed to have their own opinions anymore.
I hear ya & agree but it certainly seems like there's a staggering amount of ignorance out there that's conveniently labeled as an opinion that one is "entitled" to.

sregdoor

Jun 22, 2018
This thread is just about exhausted but besides the cheap shot Tkachuk took one of the stupidest penalties. His team is down by a goal with 24 second left and he takes them out of the man advantage (with goalie pulled).

Reactions: Rebels57

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Flyers fan here are so soft ... Wow. Danny Briere was as dirty of an NHL player there was. That's how succeeded with his size. It created space for him. And calling Pronger a finesses player ever is simply ridiculous. The physical element leaving the game is a big reason that the arena is empty. This finesse form of the game is pretty boring.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
This thread is just about exhausted but besides the cheap shot Tkachuk took one of the stupidest penalties. His team is down by a goal with 24 second left and he takes them out of the man advantage (with goalie pulled).

Laughton ran his mouth to the bench. Tkachuk called him out for it. Life isn't always Alan Alda reactions. I am sure Tkachuks teammates love liked his response.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Flyers fan here are so soft ... Wow. Danny Briere was as dirty of an NHL player there was. That's how succeeded with his size. It created space for him. And calling Pronger a finesses player ever is simply ridiculous. The physical element leaving the game is a big reason that the arena is empty. This finesse form of the game is pretty boring.

Briere is another excellent example. He was sneaky dirty. Nasty with his stick. Flyers fans love him and they should, just like Pronger.

Having some underhanded, cutthroat players is a good thing. And almost every Flyers fan loves them when they are on our side.

Reactions: renberg

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Like it or not, the most successful period of this team’s history revolved around a rebellious persona, cutthroat leader, & a fiery owner who vowed to never be pushed around again.

I like that. I don’t like the businessmen drones Hextall accumulated.

I’m not saying the Flyers should be the Broad Street Bullies anymore. The league has taken that away. But I believe team identities exist. And I think the Flyers are best with a tough identity. It’s why Vigneault can say “Be a ****ing Flyer” & it still holds great meaning.

I'm aware the time of the "Broad Street Bullies" was the most successful time of the team's history. Nearly 50 years later, and we have people who still want to associate the current Flyers with a bunch of assholes who went out to deliberately hurt other people. Took on the Red Army when no one else wanted to and won through brutality on the ice. Xenophobia was rampant during the 70's, as it still is today but under guise and deceit.

It's not the 1970's anymore. Bringing up the past is a way to deflect and distract against the new changes to the game and player's own individual philosophies and styles. Sure, you may have liked that style of play (How old are you?) but it is absolutely criminal how that brand of hockey was played. For instance, up until 1993, in many states it was legal for men to rape their wives. Native American families could have the government rip their children ripped away from them due to the image of being too "savage". Times are changing, so too must your mindset on the brand of hockey.

Team identities evolve and adapt as the game continues to evolve. We see this through systems, practice, coaching methodologies, and in general simply players' own philosophy and approach to the game. Skill trumps thuggery. Capitalism is prevailing - A winning culture brings in more revenue.

To me, "Be a f***ing Flyer" doesn't mean they players & coaches have to even resemble a nuance of what the Broad Street Bullies brought to the NHL - thuggery and battery on ice. In my opinion it is simple - it means to represent the brand with passion and respect. This is Philadelphia, we thrive on passion in all avenues of life.

Reactions: Bruckuss

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm aware the time of the "Broad Street Bullies" was the most successful time of the team's history. Nearly 50 years later, and we have people who still want to associate the current Flyers with a bunch of *******s who went out to deliberately hurt other people. Took on the Red Army when no one else wanted to and won through brutality on the ice. Xenophobia was rampant during the 70's, as it still is today but under guise and deceit.

It's not the 1970's anymore. Bringing up the past is a way to deflect and distract against the new changes to the game and player's own individual philosophies and styles. Sure, you may have liked that style of play (How old are you?) but it is absolutely criminal how that brand of hockey was played. For instance, up until 1993, in many states it was legal for men to rape their wives. Native American families could have the government rip their children ripped away from them due to the image of being too "savage". Times are changing, so too must your mindset on the brand of hockey.

Team identities evolve and adapt as the game continues to evolve. We see this through systems, practice, coaching methodologies, and in general simply players' own philosophy and approach to the game. Skill trumps thuggery. Capitalism is prevailing - A winning culture brings in more revenue.

To me, "Be a ****ing Flyer" doesn't mean they players & coaches have to even resemble a nuance of what the Broad Street Bullies brought to the NHL - thuggery and battery on ice. In my opinion it is simple - it means to represent the brand with passion and respect. This is Philadelphia, we thrive on passion in all avenues of life.

1. In the post of mine you quote, I explicitly say, "I’m not saying the Flyers should be the Broad Street Bullies anymore." So the majority of your post, as it relates to the post you are replying to, is a straw man argument.

2. I acknowledge that I think there is still value in having a couple of guys who don't always abide by the rules. That is my point, as well as that almost all of us cheer for them when they're on our side.

3. The Flyers didn't beat Russia in '76 through sheer brutality. The physical intimidation certainly helped. And it still can, to a degree. But they also had great players and played a 1-4 neutral zone trap that neutralized Russia's possession style.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

There is a drastic difference between nasty stickwork and physical play, and jumping a player.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
There is a drastic difference between nasty stickwork and physical play, and jumping a player.
The point is people are hypocrites.

If the Flyers had a Tkachuk they'd love him just as much as we all loved Pronger who is one of the dirtiest players in league history.

It's why Starat can't even answer the simple question of if he rooted for Pronger as a Flyer. Because of course he did. You love it when it's on your side, and it's effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad