30 for 30 Shorts: The Schedule Makers

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
That was a good watch, wish there were more takes on it but I suppose thats what you get for a short film.

Combinatorics is not my game and I'm sure their job wasn't easy, owing mostly to the myriad of special circumstances. I don't like the wife's poo-pooing of better technology. One would think it'd have to be inevitable but both kind of speak to how much can or can't be done. At least the computer can't be argued at as such. If you blame the machine (fairly or not) you appear to be a fool. The real issue is that a change in one thing cascades into others... and then you have to find a new solution.

Up until the 3 division set-up, IIRC, there were a few "standard" set ups...

12 team league, 2 divisions of 6
18x5 + 12*6 =162

14... 2 of 7

13x6+12*7=162

---

Once you get lopsided it becomes much harder. You loose any available and reliable symmetry. I'm going to guess the wife had the superstructure down for the starting state of a schedule solution. Complexity reduces the number of allowable solutions. 3 divisions, inter-league play, etc.

The NBA/NHL thing is somewhat different in the sense that very few baseball stadiums are used as multi-purpose facilities and often have priority except some sundays in august and september (NFL). Theirs is a whole different challenge.

Minor baseball also likely doesn't have any sacred cows that the majors have. Having one circuit of 12 or so teams makes life easier... the actual complexity probably looks more like n^2 versus order n.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
That was a good watch, wish there were more takes on it but I suppose thats what you get for a short film.

Combinatorics is not my game and I'm sure their job wasn't easy, owing mostly to the myriad of special circumstances. I don't like the wife's poo-pooing of better technology. One would think it'd have to be inevitable but both kind of speak to how much can or can't be done. At least the computer can't be argued at as such. If you blame the machine (fairly or not) you appear to be a fool. The real issue is that a change in one thing cascades into others... and then you have to find a new solution.

Up until the 3 division set-up, IIRC, there were a few "standard" set ups...

12 team league, 2 divisions of 6
18x5 + 12*6 =162

14... 2 of 7

13x6+12*7=162

---

Once you get lopsided it becomes much harder. You loose any available and reliable symmetry. I'm going to guess the wife had the superstructure down for the starting state of a schedule solution. Complexity reduces the number of allowable solutions. 3 divisions, inter-league play, etc.

The NBA/NHL thing is somewhat different in the sense that very few baseball stadiums are used as multi-purpose facilities and often have priority except some sundays in august and september (NFL). Theirs is a whole different challenge.

Minor baseball also likely doesn't have any sacred cows that the majors have. Having one circuit of 12 or so teams makes life easier... the actual complexity probably looks more like n^2 versus order n.

In the days of the 12-team NL, you also had travel partners. Mets-Phils-Expos, Cards-Cubs-Pirates, Giants-Dodgers-Padres, Braves-Astros-Reds. If the Mets were playing in St. Louis, the Phils and Expos would be in Chicago or Pittsburgh. If the Mets were playing San Fran, the Phils and Expos would be in SD or LA. Would usually do the road trips together, too. For example, Mets may have a west coast trip with 3 in LA, 3 in SD, and 3 in San Fran. Simultaneously, Expos would have 3 in San Fran, 3 in LA, and 3 in SD. Phils would have 3 in SD, 3 in SF, and 3 in LA. When teams were playing their travel group, the extra team would have a cross-over. If Mets were playing Phils and Red were playing Braves, Expos would play Houston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad