3 Young Superstars Due for a Regression Next Year

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
No, you said generational. I said "one of the best players in this generation" is where I think he will end up, which is far from the same thing.

Generation is "all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively". It can also be described as, "the average period, generally considered to be about thirty years.

Pretty big statement for EP.

Or did you mean age group?

Last edited:

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Generation is "all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively". It can also be described as, "the average period, generally considered to be about thirty years.

Pretty big statement for EP.

Are you serious? You come with fact like these on a hockey board. A hockey generation is not 30 years. If a generation was 30 years in the hockey world, Mario Lemiuex and William Nylander would be the same generation. Do you think they are?

I dont know if this is a troll attempt, but you obviously didnt read what I wrote. I said "one of the best players in this generation" not the best.

Reactions: jimslob and EXTRAS

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Still think Leon is capable of 80-90 points consistently going forward. But I doubt he hits 50 goals again.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
So are posts about Drai having a better one timer than Ovi.......yet here we are.

And to be fair......I did call it “craziness”, which almost everyone should realize is the correct word for it.
But who cares? There are people out there who think that John Drouin has a better natural skill set than Crosby. Doesn't mean that opinion means anything/is worth mentioning since nearly everyone else disagrees.

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
Are you serious? You come with fact like these on a hockey board. A hockey generation is not 30 years. If a generation was 30 years in the hockey world, Mario Lemiuex and William Nylander would be the same generation. Do you think they are?

I dont know if this is a troll attempt, but you obviously didnt read what I wrote. I said "one of the best players in this generation" not the best.

Oh my god, I dont know what belongs in to your "hockey generation" Is croby in same generation with EP?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Highly doubt Kucherov cracks 120 points again. The perfect storm happened for him to reach that. He will be a 80-100 point player going forward which is still elite numbers.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Even if Draisaitl falls back in line around his career shooting % (14.5% - excluding his rookie season and this past one), if he maintains shot volume similar to this recent season (240 shots), he'll still be a 35 goal scorer which is pretty good

EDIT: I know this is very basic and not factoring "what ifs"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Marner will definitely regress if regress means anything less than 94 points. Hard to place a bet that he'll have 94 points or more next season.

No one besides the generational players like Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid etc are good for 90+ points in any given year in their prime. Scoring tends to go up and then swiftly back down again.

I'd be surprised if Marner regressed, but largely because I don't agree the bolded is what regression in hockey implies. IMO, a player dropping a handful of points but largely having the same sort of game-in, game-out impact isn't regression.

I think Marner will roughly produce what he did this year -- give or take maybe a 10 point swing in either direction to account for good/bad luck -- and thus, I wouldn't expect any sort of noticeable regression out of him.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
B6F0485A-8F74-43AE-81BA-1489332CFD74.png

Doesn’t seem too unsustainable to me.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Draisaitl adapted his game a bit this year to have more of a scoring mentality. If the Oilers actually add some wingers worth a damn he’s also an elite passer so while I agree his goals should probably drop, he should be able to make up the difference with assists.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Talk about over-reaction. Draisaitl will be fine, he'll carve out a career as a solid 30/30 role player.

Your hot take is very cold. You think he projects as a 60 point player after his 100 point season and two 70 point seasons? Odd.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Oh my god, I dont know what belongs in to your "hockey generation" Is croby in same generation with EP?

No, and why do you even comment on this? Your answer holds nothing of value, I said I think he will be one of the best in this generation. Why are you butthurt about this?

If your answer would add anything to the discussion it would be "no, hes not on Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin level", and to that I would say that they started their NHL careers 12-13 years before EP and imo doesnt belong in the same generation. His generation is the likes of Mcdavid, Eichel and Matthews per my definition.

To throw in that a generation is 30 years, when that isnt close to what a generation is in hockey. How many NHL players have played 30 NHL seasons? NONE, or if you want to count that Howe played 26, even though there were 10 years between his last and second to last season.

Is Crosby and Lemieux from the same generation? They even played a couple of games together.

Also, i never called EP generational, I said he will be one of the best players in this generation.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
No, and why do you even comment on this? Your answer holds nothing of value, I said I think he will be one of the best in this generation. Why are you ******** about this?

If your answer would add anything to the discussion it would be "no, hes not on Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin level", and to that I would say that they started their NHL careers 12-13 years before EP and imo doesnt belong in the same generation. His generation is the likes of Mcdavid, Eichel and Matthews per my definition.

To throw in that a generation is 30 years, when that isnt close to what a generation is in hockey. How many NHL players have played 30 NHL seasons? NONE, or if you want to count that Howe played 26, even though there were 10 years between his last and second to last season.

Is Crosby and Lemieux from the same generation? They even played a couple of games together.

Also, i never called EP generational, I said he will be one of the best players in this generation.
Maybe scoring more than three in his last 27 games to end his season is a start before he is even on the path of becoming one of the best players of his generation

Pettersson is so f***ing overrated it hurts lmao

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think Marner will definitely regress if regress means anything less than 94 points. Hard to place a bet that he'll have 94 points or more next season.

No one besides the generational players like Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid etc are good for 90+ points in any given year in their prime. Scoring tends to go up and then swiftly back down again.

Completely disagreed. He's too talented. He would be one of my bets to consistently hit those numbers. He's a chance generation machine and his "highs" on a powerplay streak (when it's going well) are obscene. 100 points is easily within his realm all things considered.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
12% this season. But the regression wasn't "next year" after his rookie season, which was the point made and is in the thread title.

His Sh% was due for progression the next year after his rookie season.

LMAO

Regression isn't just about next season, and it would be a big mistake to think that. It's about the long-term. Draisaitl could absolutely shoot at 20% next season. It's not likely, but it could definitely happen. But that also doesn't suddenly prove that he will be able to sustain a 20+% shooting percentage over the long-term.

Last edited:

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Point is the most likely to regress as didnt even get 200 shots and thats with playing with Kucherov in whats most likely his peak season.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe scoring more than three in his last 27 games to end his season is a start before he is even on the path of becoming one of the best players of his generation

Pettersson is so ****ing overrated it hurts lmao

This is so f***ing stupid. He hit a rookie wall and was hit with the same regression you whined about all year, and you're trying to present it as relevant to him going forward. His shooting percentage went down to 19.5, which is still high, but not ridiculous. Given his shot, it's not unreasonable for him to be shooting 15%, which would have put him at 21-22 goals in 71 games, on pace for 25 over a full season. Considering he's also a playmaker, was a rail thin rookie, playing a new position on a crap team in North America for the first time, that's pretty good. He's going to adjust and he's going to get better. And the funny thing is that you keep focusing on percentages when the hype surrounding him had more to do with how he played than his actual production. He's going to be a star player in this league. My only hope is that he signs for below market value since the cost of living is so low staying rent free in your head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad