Confirmed with Link: 3 Year Extension for Ryan Lindgren ($3M AAV)

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Good point. Dude's a warrior but I have concerns about how long he'll be able to play that way. The Rangers have been burned on contracts for defensemen who gave their bodies up for the team and paid for it.
I have thought the same thing. Plus, between Trouba, Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Robertson, Jones, Hajek, Schneider, Schneider, Reunanen, some are going to have to be traded. It might be Lindgren and this contract is very tradeable if it comes to it. We shall see. Lindgren is definitely one of my favorites from this group, and this is a good deal for both sides.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Was on pace for 27 points (all ES and one point SH) and a plus 30 over 82 games. And is obviously the best fit for our franchise dman. I would say pretty good deal.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Nice. His work ethic and battle level should be the standard for these kids, great deal and great message to send

Reactions: ETTER DE

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Excellent. Well deserved paycheck for Lindy.

He and Fox should never be broken up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's easy to compare him to Girardi and worry about how that ended, but I think that's different. Girardi didn't fall apart, he just fell victim to the fact that the game was rapidly becoming faster and more possession-oriented and he wasn't a good skater and wasn't good with the puck on his stick. We as a team were also transitioning to...a transition team with much less emphasis defensively on blocking shots and collapsing in front of the net. Girardi's skills may have deteriorated a bit, but for him it was more of a problem with the game changing in general and the team's systems changing specifically.

Anyway, my point is with Lindgren that he's a tough guy who doesn't miss games, like Girardi, but he also can really skate and while he's not great with the puck, is smart and makes good controlled exits. Dan just tried to chip everything up the boards. There's no reason his game shouldn't hold for several years unless his skills rapidly and unexpectedly deteriorate and/or he suffers significant injury (which, honestly, is true for anyone).

Last edited:

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
crazy that after this signing, NYR still have 13 RFA's to deal with

but yeah 4 are long shots, low-pri guys like Newell, Crawley,
or Rykov who he can not sign QO and have rights retained as 'defected player'
and Fontaine after 2 injury-decimated seasons, likely cut loose ...

obvi Buch, Shesty, Chytil are key and will cost
Gauth, Hajek, Howden should all be reasonable
(altho Howden has played 15 most games of 2016 draft class, with 17th most points)
2016 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Getts and Ronning, and Huska, coming of ELC's, likely get QO's,

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
It's a fair deal. I wish it was longer, but I can understand why in uncertain times neither NYR nor Lindgren might want to commit.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Reading way too much into it most likely, but feels like a real statement to have this be Drury's first move as GM and on exit day to boot. Lindgren definitely feels like a "culture fit" based on everything we've read over the last few days.

Extremely fair deal and IMO the perfect length.
I think you're right though--while they may have been working on this for a while or planning to get it done, I don't think it's a coincidence it's the first move. Locking in the guy who exemplifies everything the organization apparently wants to see. Definitely not a coincidence.

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com
Girardi isn't a good comparison at all. Girardi was solid, but Lindgren has far more balls and leadership than Girardi IMO. He has captaincy written all over him, was a leader at every level.

Adam Foote is a great comparison to Lindgren.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Good deal

And I tend to agree this was somewhat of a statement signing, there was no messing around.

He did not have arbitration rights, the Rangers did not go UFA shopping first, and then see if they could fit him in later.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Lindgren will have one year remaining of group II. The Rangers didn't go the usual 2 year bridge contract. He is 4 years away from group III.
Dude seriously. Been following your posts here since 2005. F those walking pimples that live to be a doooosh here. Post more. I blocked them and this place is so much better lol. Anyway, I know you won't reply but I hope you are well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->