Proposal: 3 Way Trade (Sabres-Wild-Habs)

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Well for a stop gap Stepan could come cheap for a year to give Cozens time. Could see about Tierny in Ottawa. Need to see who is up against the cap and might need to move a player
Ok they are cheaper now what about the better ones

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I haven't been keeping up with MTL/BUF draft threads, but what's wrong with Domi as a solution to the #2C position in BUF as opposed to the #8oa?

1 he’s small size
2 I don’t think he can play center
3 he’s 2 yrs from a UFA and up for arbitration for space buffalo needs to free up.
4 his trade value is around a late 1st+ or used in a pure player trade. You don’t trade a top 10 for him.

Give buffalo has Cozens and possibly another C from 8OA does buffalo want yo block them by signing Domi to a long high contract.

You have to assume Cozens plays next year so by 21/22 season he could be a solid 2C.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Sabres get
- Domi with extension (6 or 7 years somewhere between Ehlers and Nylander cap hits)
- 2020 4th from the Habs (Ducks pick)
- Rights to Ikonen. Injuries has set him back in development but when healthy, a good prospect with potential

Wild Get
- 8th OA
- Hillis. Solid B+ prospect at center with some potential
- 2020 4th from the Habs (Jets pick)

Habs Get
- Brodin with extension (6 or 7 years somewhere between Muzzin and Ellis cap hits)
- 2022 2nd from the Sabres
- 2021 2nd from the Wild

I can certainly see why the Habs would do this, but I am struggling to get it for the other two teams.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
I don't get some mtl fans want to trade Domi, he's a good feisty player with sick mitts and he wears his heart on his sleeve. And he loves playing in mtl. If Bergevin can re-sign him for 6-7M, and he averages 60 points per year, that's good value. Rather trade Drouin and Tatar imo

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I don't get some mtl fans want to trade Domi, he's a good feisty player with sick mitts and he wears his heart on his sleeve. And he loves playing in mtl. If Bergevin can re-sign him for 6-7M, and he averages 60 points per year, that's good value. Rather trade Drouin and Tatar imo

Drouin and tatar won't get Montreal Dumba or Brodin much less poehling & 2nd round pick for Dumba is a joke.

Montreal fans are disrespecting other teams players

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We don't really want to trade him but it comes down to this..

- Does he cry like a baby when we want to play him on Suzuki's wing.
- What does he want for his next contract.
- Domi can return a very good LD. Tatar as a pending UFA and the under performing Drouin won't.

Domi is likely not going to be traded. Unless we get a deal we can't refuse

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Best post of the day by far. He needs to chill cause he is a hypocrite and way to controversial. Attacking an entire fan base on some peoples opinions should be considered flaming on HF boards. Way too many posters like that. I guess people getting along is too boring

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He's a ~50-point winger playing center player who's being overvalued because of his career year in 18-19.
50 pt winger my ass.
He's a career .66 ppg player so far in his career which = average 55 pts.
Funny how some try to lower his average,

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
50 pt winger my ass.

It's 5 points, why are you so offended? Apart from the slight variation in his number, his point stands.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It's 5 points, why are you so offended? Apart from the slight variation in his number, his point stands.
Than why not say it like it is. 55 pt player is what he is.Why do some always try to discredit a player by dropping his stats lower than they actually are?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Than why not say it like it is. 55 pt player is what he is.Why do some always try to discredit a player by dropping his stats lower than they actually are?

I don't think he did it intentionally to offend anyone. I think he just estimated quickly. We should ask him though.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
You remove his outlier year and he produces at exactly 50pts. I enjoy watching Domi but he's a 2nd liner that'll want to be paid off his outlier season, barring a team caving to his demands I can see him going to arbitration to ride out his final 2 years in the hope that more money shakes loose when the world normalizes.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
50 pt winger my ass.

Since you care so much about accuracy .66 ppg = 54 pt average and considering the post you quoted said Domi was a “~50-point winger” (the tilde means approximate, if you didn’t know) I think that’s pretty accurate and hardly worth commenting on unless you’re just looking for any excuse to get triggered.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, you remove the best year from a 24yo's stat line, and his averages go down? Who wudda thunk it?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
So, you remove the best year from a 24yo's stat line, and his averages go down? Who wudda thunk it?
Its different if he was on an upward trajectory vice every year being eerily similar except for one. Now if he had one year in Montreal that produced the career year you can argue the change of scenary, when he drops back to points norm albeit with higher goals, you can say fluke. Especially when said player's agent will point to the outlier year as his 'norm' vice the typical ~50pts

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
The whole debate about production tied to value that I've seen here is flawed, the rationale for it is flimsy at best. What Domi has done in the past is an indicator of past performance, hints at his future performance in good part too, but his ceiling as a player isn't completely beholden to his previous stats, the same as each and every active sportsman.

Though it isn't the likeliest outcome by far, it is entirely conceivable that Domi could somehow find another level to his game and explode offensively for the next few years ala Marchand. It is also possible that he loses a step, grows soft, gets injured in some way, stops competing, etc., and falls off a cliff performance-wise until he isn't even a decent NHLer anymore, like what happened to Alzner.

In a nutshell, labelling a player as a ''30 goal-scorer'', ''50 point center'', ''PPG player'' and earmarking the value of that player by only that aspect, as some have done in this thread, is just disingenuous. You have to look at all of a player's facets, not just the stats. From there you can more or less gauge if you'd trade package X for Domi or not, it's not my place to interfere with your own internal evaluation process, just saying that Domi is much more than a 50-point forward, in good and ill.

Personally, I consider Domi a good secondary offensive producer, a guy that's feisty, skilled, smart on the ice, fast, has an above-average shot, works really well in a top 6, and one that could produce quite a bit of offense if he finds chemistry with teammates that afford him more space to move. Inversely, I don't like the fact that Domi pouted last year playing wing, how he was visibly less engaged last year than in '18-'19, his diminutive stature, cocky SOB demeanor off the ice, the fact that he can be a massive hothead, cost us games with jaw-droppingly dumb penalties, and the fact that he is an attention-grabber. Weighing the good and bad, the good massively wins out, obviously.

Thinking about it more, I think I could live with the trade but I'd like for us to keep Domi as I really like him as a player. But I can see that Brodin would help us quite a bit even though he isn't exactly the type of puck-moving LD that we desperately need. I just don't know if the fit is quite as obvious as OP makes it seem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->