Proposal: 3 way trade between TOR COL ANA

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
As an Avs fan, I don't understand why we're involved in this trade. Trading away the bulk of our prospect depth for a guy we really don't need doesn't make any sense to me. We were already top 5 in goal scoring despite all of the injuries to significant players. Adding Nylander and his ~$7m cap hit to score ~60 points doesn't fill a dire need, as we already have guys capable of scoring. Having good young players who can potentially contribute, even in a bottom 6 role, while still on their ELCs is much more important to the long term success of this team. We're poised to make a few runs, then reload with more good young talent through our prospect pool and try again. Why screw that up for Nylander?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As an Avs fan I’d do it which likely means it isn’t good for the other teams.

Also knowing their connection, I don’t see any way Dubas/Keefe fabricate a trade involving Conor Timmins which doesn’t result in him going to Toronto.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Timmins + 1st for Rakell is fair.

That leaves Manson. Do you really think you're going to get Newhook in a trade for Manson?

you totally overrate average prospects like Kaut and below average Beaucage. They do nothing for the Avs. Then you tack on retention on Manson. Why would the Ducks do this? They can get a way better offer by dealing Manson and Rackell separately. Kaut and Beau do not move the needle. It’s a bad offer and not well thought out.

Try harder!

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Duck fans already told you no and you go ahead and post they'd unanimously say yes. What's the matter with you?
I'm yet to see Anaheim fans declining Timmins + 1st for Rakell, whether it's on this forum or capfriendly's AGM. In fact, have a look at any Anaheim AGM on capfriendly involving Colorado and you'll see that the vast majority of them feature that exact trade.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I can’t understand why ANA or COL making this deal?

ANA is getting a nice package from COL, but lose 2 valuable players that returns more traded separately. COL is getting Nylander and gutting their prospects for a player that earns approx $2M less without the compensation Hall as a UFA.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Every 3 way trade usually has 1 team that gets the short end of the stick. That being said I think this deal is about as fair as you can get when it comes to these things on HFB. I think overall it was well thought out, considered each teams needs and is overall a solid deal without anything too egregious. I think I am most impressed that each trade does a good job falling in line with what each team wants to accomplish and the margin for error is in line with actual deals we have seen in the NHL (the standard for an acceptable deal in HFB is MUCH higher than what we see in actuality in the NHL).

If I were to nit pick, I think that Tor is still committed to keeping their forward core as is, whether that is the correct decision or not can be debated but with them having multiple chances to move him to this point and choosing not too unless something big happens I don't see them changing their minds in that area.

I personally feel that Manson's reputation currently exceeds his actual on ice results, so why I think he is overvalued on here I think there is also potential for other teams to over value him as well. Ana also is most likely the team with the most potential to gain increased value in an alternative deal. Ana is also looking for skill up front so I wonder if cap space is less of an issue if there is a modification that would send a player like Kerfoot or AJ to Ana as well to help give them a little bit extra in value and giving Tor some extra cap space.

Every deal on HFB will have fans that hate it but honestly I think this proposal is very well done, even if the end result would be a team turning it down.

I think the idea of Rackell to Col as well for the Timmins + 1st package isn't the worst either if there is some common ground there.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Any clue who is on Manson's 12 team NTC?

Honestly dont see the leafs moving Nylander or any of their big time forwards as Meeqs mentioned. They committed to this core who are still young (especially on the backend) and will likely not move any of the big time forwards for the next 4/5 years.

I would expect a Muzzin like trade to fill one of their RD slots. I.e. older top2/top4 defenseman with like 2 years of terms. Manson does fit the bill or a guy like Savard and a think a deal could be thrashed out. It won't include Nylander though. The kid had a 37 goal and 71 point pace.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hmm its not terrible... I just don't know if it moves the bar enough from Anaheim perspective.

Rakell with no retention prob gets us Timmins + 1st + Beaucage(prob slight add from anaehim but nothing excessive)
So wed essentially move Manson+ retention for Kaut.

Overall I think its close enough that id be willing to work it out a bit, I guess a lot depends on where the 1st lands...id prob say somewhere in the range of a 2nd off.... Obviously id love to say timmins + newhook + 1st for that package... but trading newhooks seems like an unwise move for Colorado.

The ducks should go all in on a rebuild, manson/rakell should be sold to contenders(retention if needed to up value) and add young players/assets to the team.... so I like the general premise of the deal.

Timmins becomes our best RHD
Kaut and Beaucage join comtois/jones/terry/tracey/Milano as competition for our wings

We would also end up with picks #
6, 27, 31, 36(27/31 could change pending a playoff)

My opinion is also pretty biased because I really want the ducks to make a play on timmins.

The way I read it Rakell is where the retention is dropping Manson to 1.9 million means retaining more than 50% Can't do that unless Colorado is retaining a small portion too.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Any clue who is on Manson's 12 team NTC?

Honestly dont see the leafs moving Nylander or any of their big time forwards as Meeqs mentioned. They committed to this core who are still young (especially on the backend) and will likely not move any of the big time forwards for the next 4/5 years.

I would expect a Muzzin like trade to fill one of their RD slots. I.e. older top2/top4 defenseman with like 2 years of terms. Manson does fit the bill or a guy like Savard and a think a deal could be thrashed out. It won't include Nylander though. The kid had a 37 goal and 71 point pace.
Ya the problem is making a trade work that would interest the other team. The young assets that Toronto does have, they don't want to move(sandin, Liljegren, Robertson)… AJ/Kap have much more value in Toronto than they do in trade value... I really doubt Toronto even wants to move their 2nd at this point as they don't have many picks to begin with.

In this deal the 3rd team gives Ana the value... and while Nylander > Rakell….. rakell is still a very good player that would prob do very well in Toronto style play.... and you solve an issue on y our back end/gritt. I think rakell is a comfortable bet for 60+ point player on Toronto, he excelled in Anaheim when he had a capable center, unfortunetly Getzlafs game has gone to shit and rakell has no solid line mates there... but you put him with Matthews/marner/Tavares/hyman/kapanen/AJ and he likely becomes a lethal player agin.

Reactions: Albus Dumbledore

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Solid proposal from the leafs pov

Pros
+more cap space
+get a solid lw so our excessive number of rw can finally play or play more
+ get a top 4 rhd that is defensive minded.

Cons

- nylander is young and has the most potential
- nylander is signed longer
-manson/rakell are only signed for 2 more years.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado and Anaheim should deal directly. Rakell might be as good as Nylander
I think Colorado and Anaheim fans have been down that route a # of times.

Rakell on Colorado would be a really solid add... hell Anaheim could even retain and Colorado would still have a ton of money to spend on UFAs... could also take back money to free up more space.... I really feel with the straight cap, the Avs could get some players signed on 1-3 year deals to make legit cup runs while players like Makar/Byram/newhook etc are on Entry level deals.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think Colorado and Anaheim fans have been down that route a # of times.

Rakell on Colorado would be a really solid add... hell Anaheim could even retain and Colorado would still have a ton of money to spend on UFAs.

It'll be tough to predict what the UFA market will look like now with the flat cap. Also if Col got RR outside of players offering to sign on crazy team friendly deals I don't even know what UFA's they would even need at that point.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It'll be tough to predict what the UFA market will look like now with the flat cap. Also if Col got RR outside of players offering to sign on crazy team friendly deals I don't even know what UFA's they would even need at that point.
I just imagine a lot of players might be willing to sign 1 or 2 year deals, and really stack up an avalanche team for a cup run, and then sign long term deals when cap starts trending up again.

Avs are in a really good spot for the next few seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad