Proposal: 3-way trade, Athanasiou to St. Louis, Georgiev to Detroit

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
After seeing what Zucker pulled down yesterday I have a hard time believing a serious contender isn’t willing to part with a 1st for AA.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it’s a good offer. Once again, too many people choose not to read the initial post and instead want to react in anger. The initial poster did not suggest Georgiyev is with a first, considering the Rangers are giving up a 3rd. It’s a 2nd+, which is around his value.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Neither is Athanasiou.

If you look at numbers between Zucker and AA over the last couple 2ish seasons they are actually similar. Zuckee is a better player on a cost controller deal but AA is still worth a late first as he will be RFA this summer. A backup goalie not so much.

If St.Louis wants AA we will deal directly with them as we have already this season.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Yeah, we had that same problem with Brett Hull :)

I vaguely remember a clip of a Wings practice where things were not going well or something like that. The only one who scored on the drill was Hull and he yells to all his teammates "Thank god for Brett Hull" it was freaking so funny to my younger self, and I cannot for the life of me find that video anywhere the last few months, Those Wing teams were so stacked its not even funny.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
If you look at numbers between Zucker and AA over the last couple 2ish seasons they are actually similar. Zuckee is a better player on a cost controller deal but AA is still worth a late first as he will be RFA this summer. A backup goalie not so much.

If St.Louis wants AA we will deal directly with them as we have already this season.
So what about DLR and a second? fabbri and a second seems more than fair :thumbu:

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I think it’s a good offer. Once again, too many people choose not to read the initial post and instead want to react in anger. The initial poster did not suggest Georgiyev is with a first, considering the Rangers are giving up a 3rd. It’s a 2nd+, which is around his value.

Expecting people to read full posts on HF before responding is setting the bar pretty high.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Why should anybody pay for a backup goalie 2nd+ at the trade deadline? Even more so, if the Rangers get their hand forced, if they don't want to sent Shesterkin or Lundqvist to the AHL next season? Georgiev with a reasonable contract could be picked up from the waivers without any compensation, if they send him to the AHL.
If Sakic wants to sign him, he talks to Georgiev regarding an offer sheet in the summer and offers the 2nd from WAS for his RFA rights. If NY balks just ask Georgiev instead to sign a 2.1m/1yr offer sheet, which result in a 3rd and see, if NY wants to match this. I don't see the Rangers leverage with Georgiev with the lack of cap and roster space.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why should anybody pay for a backup goalie 2nd+ at the trade deadline? Even more so, if the Rangers get their hand forced, if they don't want to sent Shesterkin or Lundqvist to the AHL next season? Georgiev with a reasonable contract could be picked up from the waivers without any compensation, if they send him to the AHL.
If Sakic wants to sign him, he talks to Georgiev regarding an offer sheet in the summer and offers the 2nd from WAS for his RFA rights. If NY balks just ask Georgiev instead to sign a 2.1m/1yr offer sheet, which result in a 3rd and see, if NY wants to match this. I don't see the Rangers leverage with Georgiev with the lack of cap and roster space.

Because the Rangers don't have to send anyone to any league. Nothing is forced. We have the cap space for three goalies. Shestyorkin has forced the hand of the coach, and is now the starter.

Its pretty simple. If needed, Georgiev and Lundqvist simply won't play very much. Is Georgiyev's value going to go down so much playing 20 games a season compared to 30?

And I don't see why his value wouldn't be a 2nd+. The template from Leafs fans was 2nd+Bracco, so a 2nd+B level prospect. If teams don't want to offer up at least that, we don't need to trade him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

AA vs. Zucker from last 2 seasons.

Jason Zucker, 126 games, 35+36 = 71 points (0.56 points per game) (0.28 goals per game) 16:39 Total IT per game
Athanasiou, 116 games, 37+38 = 75 points (0.65 points per game) (0.32 goals per game) 16:55 Total IT per game

Also that defence thing and lot of minuses are more of team's fault. More of crap defence (behind the 1st line, affects especially on middle6) and bad goaltendeng,

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Lol AA would not fit the way we play. We actually have team structure and play a smart puck management game....none of which he can do

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not sure I love this trade but for the people saying AA isnt worth a first, read the article on the Athletic where Custance talks to NHL execs about different trade proposals.

An NHL executive said "I don’t think they’d have a big issue getting rid of Athanasiou but they can get a first-rounder at the deadline for Athanasiou with a year left in RFA." I dont think hes going to get anything more than that, if its not a first it will be a really good (but not blu chip) prospect. A guy with his speed and shot on McDavids wing? Or playing on the Avs could be really dangerous.

I dont think hes a great fit for St Louis, but fast teams should be looking into him big time

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Because the Rangers don't have to send anyone to any league. Nothing is forced. We have the cap space for three goalies. Shestyorkin has forced the hand of the coach, and is now the starter.

Its pretty simple. If needed, Georgiev and Lundqvist simply won't play very much. Is Georgiyev's value going to go down so much playing 20 games a season compared to 30?

And I don't see why his value wouldn't be a 2nd+. The template from Leafs fans was 2nd+Bracco, so a 2nd+B level prospect. If teams don't want to offer up at least that, we don't need to trade him.
If you insist on a Bracco level prospect, most teams could spare such a player in a trade.
But if you expect Detroit to offer their own 2nd (#32) or a 1st from STL, which they acquire in this proposal, you are living in a dream world. Detroit is not playing for the POs, they play for Lafreniere. They have Zero motivation to improve their goaltending situation before or at the trade deadline. In the summer Georgiev is a RFA and the Rangers have two other goalies on the NHL roster. Fast is UFA, Strome, Lemieux and ADA are all RFA. You will have around 17m in cap space. Hard to believe the Rangers would prioritize their 3rd string goalie over retaining any of these players. I am pretty sure Yzerman would bet on Georgiev being available much cheaper in the summer. Good luck finding a trade partner, which overpays with those circumstances.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tarasenko is returning soonish, which makes the deal not possible. As long as Tarasenko returns during the season, then we won't be cap compliant.

Yeah, but this Bouwmeester-thing changed the whole thing. Probably LTIR for rest for the season.

Wish him best.

Maybe you go after a LhD, or promote cheap own kid like Mikkola/Pouliot and still go after offense. We will know in a month.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
After seeing what Zucker pulled down yesterday I have a hard time believing a serious contender isn’t willing to part with a 1st for AA.

Contending teams likely aren't looking to add one of the worst defensive players in the league. He's more suited to play on a non playoff team than a contender. If Fabbri didn't play Berube's style of game, why would he be happy with AA?

Zero percent chance of this happening.

Reactions: Robtom18

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you insist on a Bracco level prospect, most teams could spare such a player in a trade.
But if you expect Detroit to offer their own 2nd (#32) or a 1st from STL, which they acquire in this proposal, you are living in a dream world. Detroit is not playing for the POs, they play for Lafreniere. They have Zero motivation to improve their goaltending situation before or at the trade deadline. In the summer Georgiev is a RFA and the Rangers have two other goalies on the NHL roster. Fast is UFA, Strome, Lemieux and ADA are all RFA. You will have around 17m in cap space. Hard to believe the Rangers would prioritize their 3rd string goalie over retaining any of these players. I am pretty sure Yzerman would bet on Georgiev being available much cheaper in the summer. Good luck finding a trade partner, which overpays with those circumstances.

Detroit has Washington's second rounder.

You still haven't answered why he would be much cheaper at any point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad