Proposal: 3 Way TML / WPG / CAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So the premise behind this trade proposal is that each team is facing certain issues/needs and a single trading partner is missing the player desired.

The leafs need to improve our D if we are gonna truly be in consideration for the SC. Nylander is a great player but we have seen that leafs are not lacking scoring. Like WPG we are facing a cap crunch with Matthews and Marner needing and likely getting massive deals. This will hamper any upgrades at D if we also add a Nylander deal regardless if it is a bridge or long term. Trouba is everything we need, solid D who can play on our first pairing. Also he has to be willing to sign long term.

Winnipeg is going to be getting into a cap crunch as early as next year (Laine, Connor, Trouba, Myers etc.) and Morrissey the following. While they I am sure the Jets would like to sign Trouba long term he doesn’t seem to want to be there, yes I could be wrong but let’s just go with this. Now I know that it’s a slight downgrade in Pesce he still has plenty of upside and a few years before Buff’s contract is done to fill those first pairing shoes. Plus you get player who is signed long term for 4 per and the ever valuable picks.

Carolina has coveted Nylander for a while and needs scoring. While they give up a decent RHD they keep Slavin and get rid of some picks/prospects to add another weapon up front who will be signed long term. They also have Hamilton and Faulk (who they can now sign) on first and second pairing RHD Not to mention Bean coming up.

Personally I don’t think the value is far off but I will let you be the judge of that, thoughts?

TML
Nylander (out)
2019 2nd (out)
Trouba signs 7x7 (in)

CAR
Pesce (out)
2019 2nd (out)
Nylander (in)

WPG
Trouba (out)
Pesce (in)
CAR 2019 2nd (in)
TML 2019 2nd (in)

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Sure, Trouba wants to stay in Canada.
As long as he doesn‘t change his girlfriend, this deal won‘t happen.

Otherwise it seems quite fair.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think it would have to be around Nylander, Trouba and Slavin for the Jets to be interested. Don’t they need LD?

Yes I know Slavin is worth ALOT

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Giving the Jets Cap Flexability, a top 4 RHD and picks is not screwing them. In a perfect world would the Jets like to sign everybody?, sure but if Laine wakes up, Connor continues to be a point per game, Trouba again asks for a raise, etc you run out of Cap Space quick.

If Trouba was throwing the kind of numbers Reilly was putting up then sure it would be a screw job but he has what 8. Hey don’t get me wrong he is great player but he is not the the greatest defenceman on the planet.

If your saying that the plus needs to be more then what is it?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Couple of problems here.

#1. Trouba is unlikely to sign a $7m x 7 year deal, so Toronto is likely out; or would prefer to simply take Pesce and Carolina's 2nd, while keeping their own 2nd.

#2. Winnipeg appears to get "screwed" on this deal -- as they downgrade Trouba for 2 2nds and Pesce.

In reality, whether they get screwed depends on Trouba's contract demands. If he is willing to sign a $7m x 7 deal, then yeah, they probably do. If he wants $8-8.5m, then that's not such a bad deal to make.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think it would have to be around Nylander, Trouba and Slavin for the Jets to be interested. Don’t they need LD?

Yes I know Slavin is worth ALOT

I think it’s Dreger who said Slavin is 100% off the table but Pesce could be made available

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Don’t like the idea of trading Trouba, but as a Jets fan I wouldn’t be terribly disappointed with this.

Only way this works if the Trouba camp is open to extending in Toronto.

You may conclude that the Leafs just take Pesce, but if they’re dead set on the return being Slavin then this might make sense as I don’t see Carolina trading Slavin.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
If Carolina decided to go menage-a-troi-trade rather than dealing directly with TML...it would be for one reason only IMO.

Because it allows them to swap out a centerpiece they prefer to keep (e.g. Pesce) for one they feel more comfortable moving of roughly-equal value.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Why bother including a 3rd team if you're just gonna screw them.

Answer - We have to find a way of getting Trouba or another stud defender. This is yet another one of those proposals. We win .... yah.

Trouba seems to want to play in the U.S. based on reports, and I think (imho) the return is light for the Jets.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Pesce is still a nice piece and I think Toronto is a better team with him in the lineup instead of Nylander
No doubt, he would be an amazing pickup if we can’t come to terms with Willy, would likely need another piece coming our way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad