Proposal: 3 way Canadian deal TOR-VAN-CGY

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Toronto: Tanev

Calgary: Pick 25, SJ 2018 3rd (Via Toronto)

Vancouver: S.Bennett, A.Borgman, M.Mcdonald

Leafs get a partner for rielly, Flames move into the 1st rd, nucks get 3 young guys with upside (Borgman being the oldest, turned 23 today)

Reactions: Slomo

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As a Leafs fan, sure, 1st+2nd+2nd/something has been my offer for Tanev for a while. Not sure Calgary will like this though.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
As a Leafs fan, sure, 1st+2nd+2nd/something has been my offer for Tanev for a while. Not sure Calgary will like this though.

Picks 25 and 83 for bennett and their 2nd best ECHL tender? thats a reasonable return for a club looking to get into rd 1. flames fans might not like it because they used a top 5 pick to get bennett, but he clearly isnt gonna develop into what they expected

Mckenzie had Bode Wilde at 25. that pick could potentially land a 6'5 RW like Noel

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Picks 25 and 83 for bennett and their 2nd best ECHL tender? thats a reasonable return for a club looking to get into rd 1. flames fans might not like it because they used a top 5 pick to get bennett, but he clearly isnt gonna develop into what they expected

Mckenzie had Bode Wilde at 25. that pick could potentially land a 6'5 RW like Noel
I'm not arguing, it just seems like they aren't ready to sell Bennett yet. I think a Tanev deal works without using a 3rd team.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Pass. I'd rather keep Bennett than some magic bean that will most likely as best be what we already have in Bennett.

LOL. the last few magic beans are already more valuable than bennett. 2 of them are better NHLers right now.
"most likely" to only be as good as bennett? nope

2016: Poehling (31pts in 36 games in the NCAA. easily the habs top prospect and potential #2C in the future) doubt they trade him stright up for bennett
2015: Roslovic ( 14pts in 31 games as a rookie C) already has more value than Bennett
2014: Pastrnak (one of the top young stars in the league, worth more than 10 sam bennetts)

Mckenzie has Wilde at 26, and McIsaac at 26. I'd take either of those magic beans over bennett personally. the flames made the same mistake the leafs dfid under Burke thinking they were better than they were and now they are a non playoff team without a pick in the top 100. awful.
take the 25 and 83

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'm not arguing, it just seems like they aren't ready to sell Bennett yet. I think a Tanev deal works without using a 3rd team.

perhaps. trying to make things interesting including the flames. they need a 1st and need to move someone to get it.
bennett is another sub 30pt season away from being worth a 3rd rd pick

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Is there really any Flames fan that wants to trade Bennett for a late first rounder? Doesn't tempt me at all.

Even if he never improves and never gets consistent I'd rather keep him. I am happy to gamble he will pull it all together in the next two years but there's worse things to have than an entertaining 3rd liner that once every 15 or 20 games is the best player on the ice.

A 10% chance of getting Pastrnak isn't worth it.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hell no. The Canucks aren’t trading our best trade chip for Sam Bennett. Some other team may value him at a 1st but max id give is a 3rd.

Mason mcdonald has 0 value here actually negative value. Not only does he take up a contract slot, he plays a position the Canucks don’t need. We have demko and dipietro.

Leave the Canucks out of this deal.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hell no. The Canucks aren’t trading our best trade chip for Sam Bennett. Some other team may value him at a 1st but max id give is a 3rd.

Mason mcdonald has 0 value here actually negative value. Not only does he take up a contract slot, he plays a position the Canucks don’t need. We have demko and dipietro.

Leave the Canucks out of this deal.
Or leave the Flames out and Toronto sends 1st+2nd+2nd/Carrick/Bracco for Tanev.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
LOL. the last few magic beans are already more valuable than bennett. 2 of them are better NHLers right now.

2016: Poehling (31pts in 36 games in the NCAA. easily the habs top prospect and potential #2C in the future) doubt they trade him stright up for bennett
2015: Roslovic ( 14pts in 31 games as a rookie C) already has more value than Bennett
2014: Pastrnak (one of the top young stars in the league, worth more than 10 sam bennetts)

Mckenzie has Wilde at 26, and McIsaac at 26. I'd take either of those magic beans over bennett personally. the flames made the same mistake the leafs dfid under Burke thinking they were better than they were and now they are a non playoff team without a pick in the top 100. awful.
take the 25 and 83

Yeah. No.
You're cherry picking draft picks.

2014; Scherbak, Goldobin, Ho-Sang, Quenneville, McCann, Bleackley.
2013; Gauthier, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Burakovsky, McCarron, Dano, Klimchuk, Dickinson
2012: Laughton, Jankowski, Matheson, Subban, Schmaltz,Gaunce, Sammuelson, Matteau.

For every good pick in that 20-30 range (like Skjei, Pasta, Roslovic), there's 3 that are not as good as Bennett.

This is also how stupid this forum is:
Kapanen = Gold
Roslovic = Gold
Bennett = Bust

Sam's 6 months older than Roslovic, younger than Kapanen; and he's already played 3 years in the NHL while the other two were cutting their teeth in the minors. Yeah, his draft spot means a lot, but it's like people forget the guy lost his D+1 season; when he played with good teammates as a 19 year old put up 36 points in a defensive role. Two years with Gulutzan and playing with barely NHL'ers have not done Bennett any favours, but to think some magic beans in the 20's are worth more than him is just stupid. Plain old stupid.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

take the 25 and 83

Please stop...Yes you can draft a player like Pastrnak at #25, but that's far from the norm. I would not trade Bennett for Roslovic. They're almost the same age. Roslovic had better numbers last year, but on a much better offensive team. Bennett career playoff numbers are much better than Roslovic's. You can argue that maybe the players are a wash, but there's nothing to temp anyone to make that trade there.

Poehling was also drafted in 2017. The #25 in 2016 was Ryan Tufte, who looks very mediocre.

Bennett is a very versatile 3rd liner, which is already above what most #25 overall picks turn into. He still has the potential for more. There's zero incentive to move him for a 25th overall pick.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Also, let's be honest here, most 3 ways involved spreading a fleecing around between 2 teams, in the hopes that both won't be quite as offended. That's exactly what's gone on here.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Counter-offer:

Vancouver - Rielly (bring back the local kid)
Toronto - Bennett, Archibald, another plug prospect
Calgary - Lind, Gadjovich, 3rd

Equally terrible :)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Toronto: Tanev

Calgary: Pick 25, SJ 2018 3rd (Via Toronto)

Vancouver: S.Bennett, A.Borgman, M.Mcdonald

Leafs get a partner for rielly, Flames move into the 1st rd, nucks get 3 young guys with upside (Borgman being the oldest, turned 23 today)

it's not 100% for sure but it is likely that Borgman will have a much better career play more games per year, out score, out block and out hit Tanev

so no, and double no to the 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->