Proposal: 3 TOR Trades

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Both Toronto & Colorado Decline

Ducks Decline

Rather Keep Soshnikov and Play Gauthier than Boyle so Leafs Decline

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
These are pretty bad, especially the Anaheim one. The Avs one is bad because they need defense. And we shouldn't be expending assets for a forward.

The Tampa one I think I'd rather keep Sosh.

i'm pretty sure you can't trade a guy on ltir

Horton, you can if the team trading for them knows he's injured and is ok with it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Assuming you are referring to Landeskog, that really isn't an accurate description of him - he's more than just an offensive forward.

The point remains the same - The Leafs have three bluechip forwards - they don't need yet another one.

That's not a slight against Landeskog - he'd just be an unnecessary addition

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
The point remains the same - The Leafs have three bluechip forwards - they don't need yet another one.

That's not a slight against Landeskog - he'd just be an unnecessary addition

He is a bit worse on the PP and in close, but he is a much better banger and plays D at a level I cant see JVR ever getting to.

I think this is a good move for the Leafs if they have a move ready to go with JVR and a RHD.

I actually think the Leafs give up a bit too much. Young D who looks to be a legit top 4, whos already in the NHL. Forward prospect who is playing phenomenal in the AHL while being developed into a good two way player, a midish 1st and a midish 2nd.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
And we only have to give up a very good young top-4 NHL defenseman to get that AHL all star?! There's got to be a catch somewhere.

The catch for the Leafs is Despres comes with him.
Despres is in the first year of a five year $18.5 million dollar deal.
He missed a huge part of last season and has played only one game this year because of concussions.
Taken as a whole this deal wouldn't interest the Leafs....pass.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
:leafs

Landeskog

:avs

Carrick
Kapanen
1st in 2017 (TOR)
2nd in 2017 (OTT)

Manson
Despres (LTIR)

:ducks

Leipsic

Boyle
& conditional pick if Boyle doesn't resign with TOR

:bolts

Soshnikov

Leafs Lineup

Hyman / Matthews / Brown
JVR / Bozak / Marner
Landeskog / Kadri / Nylander
Martin / Boyle / Komarov
Gauthier

Rielly / Zaitsev
Gardiner / Manson
Marincin / Polak
Hunwick / Corrado

Andersen / McElhinney

Leafs Salary breakdown

0.900 / 3.775 / 0.894
4.25 / 4.2 / 1.744
5.571 / 4.5 / 1.744
2.5 / 2 / 2.95

5 / 1.744
4.05 / 0.825
1.25 / 2.25
1.2 / 0.600

5 / 0.4

Buyouts / Buried contracts

based on 73 million dollar salary cap - Leafs cap space = 4.502

used nhlnumbers.com for Leafs players cap hits

thoughts?

Won't comment on the values, just that even though Lando is a good player, I wouldn't want to tie up the cap dollars in him, nor use the assets required to get him.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs have no interest in Landeskog. His production has gone down for 3 straight years. And at 5.6m he's overpaid. Leafs and other teams can find better ways to spend their money, especially without giving up assets.
Doesn't really matter what Sakic. wants he return. Sakic has shown he doesn't know how to evaluate and pay talent accordingly.

And that Ducks trade. Leipsic may be a career minor leaguer for a NHL Dman Manson...Terrible trade for Ducks. And players on LTIR do not hurt a teams spending to the cap so the Desperes inclusion is meaningless.

pucku33

Dec 12, 2013
He missed a huge part of last season and has played only one game this year because of concussions.

Not sure if you're using a different calendar but he has yet to play a game this year and likely will not. He has played a game this season, but not this year and potentially never again.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Actually, Toronto would take this. They don't care about money, so all they would do is put Despres on LTIR for the next 5 years and just forget about him. Toronto takes no risk by taking Despres. So it ends up being a top 4 NHL defensemen, one that will fill out the Leafs top 4 perfectly, all for a guy who could very well be a career AHLer, heck he's not even the Leafs best forward prospect.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
No interest in Landeskog at this point and that price, no interest in Boyle at all, and Anaheim has no interest in getting severely bent-over like this. Manson is a high-ceiling young defenseman who would require significantly more than the original offer.

BigRadiuk

Oct 18, 2016
1st: No from both teams makes no sense for either one honestly.

2nd: No from Anaheim, although I don't know much about Manson, I know Leipsic alone won't score a #4 RHD. At least not until he gets some time to show himself in the NHL. Nobody really needs an AHL scorer.

3rd: HARD NO from the Leafs. Not only does Sosh have a lot more upside that hasn't been shown yet due to his limits minutes and role on the fourth line, Freddy Gauthier has also been looking great so far this year with the leafs, why not continue to develop him??

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Trade 1. No from the Leafs, but I can see COL also wanting a Dman as the center of the trade and passing on it as well. I don't think the value is terrible, but needs are not considered for either side. Not sure about Landeskog tbh, his offensive production has been terrible and I'm not sure if that is because of his team's struggles or him.

Trade 2. Ducks are obviously gonna pass. At least offer Kapanen.

Trade 3. Doesn't make sense for us tbh. Could see TBay wanting to keep Boyle as well, I don't know how they view him at the moment. We have enough C's despite the rumours going around that we are looking for one. If we do get a 4th line C it will not be sosh going the other way, I think it'll be something around one of our bench players (Leivo, Corrado) + mid round pick

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Better yet.

Iginla @ 50 percent retained to the Leafs.

To the Avs....a game used Morgan Rielly stick because it'd be better at defense than Beauchemin.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Not sure if you're using a different calendar but he has yet to play a game this year and likely will not. He has played a game this season, but not this year and potentially never again.

I guess we could quibble over my choice of the word "year" instead of "season".
He has played one game this season and I don't think that the
Leafs would have any interest taking on more dead salary when they are going to have to be giving raises out in the next four years.

McLeafy

Sep 26, 2014
Actually, Toronto would take this. They don't care about money, so all they would do is put Despres on LTIR for the next 5 years and just forget about him. Toronto takes no risk by taking Despres. So it ends up being a top 4 NHL defensemen, one that will fill out the Leafs top 4 perfectly, all for a guy who could very well be a career AHLer, heck he's not even the Leafs best forward prospect.

The leafs do care about their cap situation. If despres is on LITR then for three seasons it will be despres+mason new contract as his cap hit. Which i doubt his play would be near that combined hit.

We already have enough dead weight being carried and issues with our ELC bonuses possbly being carried over. We cant keep casually taking dead space when we have our own contract renewals and desire to be in on the free agent market over the next few years.

Value is bad for anaheim but the deal is bad for toronto's future under your scenario

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad