3 times ice a week, when to do off-ice conditioning?

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
got a lot of good advice on this board, so i hope you guys can help me again.

i will skate 3 times a week (1 team practice, 2 free practice / game), tuesday, thursday and sunday. the split is pretty good, but i am not sure when to have my conditioning training done.

i am in over-average fitness shape, done rollerhockey and easy jogging in the summer. last season i did normal weight training, but it did not help, maybe even made me slower, so this season i am going for some burpees with the tabata method (also found on this board) and some balance exercizes on the bosu and fitness ball.

i thought of monday and friday to do the off ice stuff, but not really sure. what do you guys suggest?

BadHammy*

Playing/practicing 3 times a week can make a full work out difficult, especially for things like plyos and running. It might be a good idea to do split workouts and focus on working out the muscles you use least frequently on ice.

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
I'm stepping up from a beginner league to an amature regional league (checking) in south germany - this would translate to D level in the US i guess. my skating is good, even for this level, it's my stick i have to improve with (both handling and shooting), and of course i want to be up to par because on the phisical side. 37 yrs old.

yeah, i also thought of split days, but the burpees will only take 4 minutes with the tabata method, so i thought about doing some balance stuff?

what do you guys do to keep or improve shape in the season?

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
At 37 years old and going into a checking league you probably won't need any further conditioning. My guess is that you will screw yourself up bad enough that it won't matter. I just see this as a trainwreck. Non-check hockey is very physical and folks get messed up playing that, to go to a checking league at that age seems stupid. I was 40 when I started playing and looking back, I would never consider checking because of the probability for injury, I have a family and need to be able to bring home a paycheck.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I also couldn't imagine jumping up to a checking league, mainly because even at the low level, you're going to have a bunch of idiots who can barely play but just want to hurt people.

Anyway, at 37, I would say playing hockey 3x per week is all the workout you need, and in the off days, I would do yoga or a similar type of stretching program. Otherwise I'd imagine you will tear up your body and mind pretty quick.

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

well, i do not have a choice, there are no non-checking leagues here except for roller of course, so if i want to play i have to play there. i do not want to play with the beginners again, because it will not challenge me enough. it was good for the first season, as i had virtually no stickhandling skills, but now it will be too easy and i will not develop further skating circles around people who stand on their skates the first time.

thanks for your help, i'll stick with the 3 ice-times and see how exausted i get.

NomadFan

Mar 24, 2007
thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

well, i do not have a choice, there are no non-checking leagues here except for roller of course, so if i want to play i have to play there. i do not want to play with the beginners again, because it will not challenge me enough. it was good for the first season, as i had virtually no stickhandling skills, but now it will be too easy and i will not develop further skating circles around people who stand on their skates the first time.

thanks for your help, i'll stick with the 3 ice-times and see how exausted i get.

Whereabouts in Germany do you live/play? I'm planning on doing a study-abroad type deal in Germany, and I'm thinking of hauling my gear along with me...

elevation

May 25, 2007
Germany
I live in South Germany as well!!...where do you play?
I do workouts 2 times a week, play 3 days as well...I play Mon, Tue and 2 times on Fr...workout Thurs and Sat...mainly core training...normally I jog/sprint/plyo 3 times as well in the morning, but after breaking my foot in the summer (thanks roller!) i am only on my stationary bike quite often...but not regularly...

BTW I am 43...

Last edited:

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
Whereabouts in Germany do you live/play? I'm planning on doing a study-abroad type deal in Germany, and I'm thinking of hauling my gear along with me...

i live in baden-württemberg which is south-west. there's a big american hockey community around here, in baden and also in mannheim mostly consisting of soldiers. i played with a few players in strassburg this summer in pickup from the kmc eagles, they're really nice (although insanely over my level of skill). i am sure they can give you good pointers if you want to come over. if you do, you're welcome to visit our rink too, free practice is open for everyone and usually is not like a practice, but more a pickup game. :)

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
I live in South Germany as well!!...where do you play?
I do workouts 2 times a week, play 3 days as well...I play Mon, Tue and 2 times on Fr...workout Thurs and Sat...mainly core training...normally I jog/sprint/plyo 3 times as well in the morning, but after breaking my foot in the summer (thanks roller!) i am only on my stationary bike quite often...but not regularly...

BTW I am 43...

i play near karlsruhe in a small rink. you?

breaking leg playing roller? how? i start with the 3 ice-times, and take it from there, if i still have energy i will do the burpees. you sound like ironman, see that's the reason i have to improve... i have to play against guys like you. :)

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
caedio cardio cardio

I think sticking with a cardio workout like the stationary bike would be best. It is easy on the joints and will keep you from being gassed after making one go around the ice at full speed. Like Herb Brooks said "The legs feed the wolf". Once you get tired you will just start coasting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad