Proposal: 3 Team Blockbuster: VAN + N.J. + PHI

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I’m the dense one? Thinking a draft pick has more value than an ESTABLISHED NHL player is hilarious. No point in arguing with clueless people though so have fun in your delusional dream world. Clown

Those blinders are really fixed on there, aren’t they?

I never once said the draft pick has more value than Pettersson. What I did say, though, was that any deal for 1OA will have to be an overpayment. And that’s the case for any team picking 1st overall. You won’t get the pick for “fair market value.”

If you were capable of objective analysis, you’d realize that, by requesting an overpayment, I’m actually conceding that the pieces coming from Vancouver are worth more than the pick. But you’re not, so here I am, talking to a really stupid wall.

Last edited:

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Pettersson is ridiculously overrated

Imagine thinking a near PPG rookie is overrated. If Petey is overrated then Hischier must be straight trash.

I watched a few Canucks games and he's certainly a talent.

But he also scored 9 goals in 2019. 6 if you remove a hattrick on 1/2/2019.

Anyway - the Devils get a 2W and 3/4C for the 1OA? Come on now.

The way Pettersson's stats have been cherry picked lately is unbelievable.

so basically what you're saying is any player currently in the NHL has more value than the #1 overall pick?

No, he's saying that a 20 year old who just put up a near PPG season is worth more than an unproven prospect. You don't trade budding NHL stars for the first overall pick unless it's McDavid. And Hughes isn't McDavid.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Imagine thinking a near PPG rookie is overrated. If Petey is overrated then Hischier must be straight trash.

No, he's saying that a 20 year old who just put up a near PPG season is worth more than an unproven prospect. You don't trade budding NHL stars for the first overall pick unless it's McDavid. And Hughes isn't McDavid.

but that isn't what he said. If thats what he meant, he should have said it. Here is what he said:

Thinking a draft pick has more value than an ESTABLISHED NHL player is hilarious.

Like I said, I would bet money that Shero would not trade #1 for Petersson straight up. You can disagree with that, and thats fine.

Keep in mind the Devils are absolutely not the ones SELLING the pick. The Canucks (and their fans here...not you necessarily) are the ones trying to BUY it, meaning you'd have to make it worth our while and then some.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I don't know, the post in question clearly states "established NHL PLAYER". Theres no designation of "NHL superstar", runaway Calder winner, or anything of the sort. Just "established NHL player" (Pettersson being 'established' could also quite easily be called into question, too, despite how well his season wentw but i digress).

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
but that isn't what he said. If thats what he meant, he should have said it. Here is what he said:

Like I said, I would bet money that Shero would not trade #1 for Petersson straight up. You can disagree with that, and thats fine.

Keep in mind the Devils are absolutely not the ones SELLING the pick. The Canucks (and their fans here...not you necessarily) are the ones trying to BUY it, meaning you'd have to make it worth our while and then some.

And that's fair. I'm assuming he meant truly established NHL players (not the 3rd and 4th liners of the world) but I could be wrong. And yes, the proposals are getting ridiculous. I doubt Benning is even considering it.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Exactly.

You don’t trade your established young star for a mystery box, just like we don’t trade our mystery box for anything less than an overpayment out of fear that said mystery box becomes said established young star.

These concepts can coexist!

Are you beginning to understand?

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Exactly.

You don’t trade your established young star for a mystery box, just like we don’t trade our mystery box for anything less than an overpayment out of fear that said mystery box becomes said established young star.

These concepts can coexist!

Are you beginning to understand?

I've at no point suggested that NJ should trade Pettersson for anything less than an overpayment. But the posts cherry picking Pettersson's stats and calling him overrated are asinine. I've understood all along, no need to be condescending.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The issue is (and I'm a Hawk fan with no ties to NJ) your proposals rarely take into account the needs of the other teams.

I have the Devils giving up a talented young center in Hughes, but bringing in a talented young center in Patrick + a 1st line winger in Boeser

If you want to argue the value is off, fine, but if the Devils need a talented young center, they are getting that in Patrick

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I’m the dense one? Thinking a draft pick has more value than an ESTABLISHED NHL player is hilarious. No point in arguing with clueless people though so have fun in your delusional dream world. Clown
As a Hawk fan I offer you Artem Anisimov for your 1st round pick. he is an ESTABLISHED NHL player. So either you're good with this or it's you that's the clown.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I don't know, the post in question clearly states "established NHL PLAYER". Theres no designation of "NHL superstar", runaway Calder winner, or anything of the sort. Just "established NHL player" (Pettersson being 'established' could also quite easily be called into question, too, despite how well his season wentw but i digress).
yeah i wouldnt say there is much ‘established’ yet with Pettersson considering how his goal scoring fell off a cliff and yet he still kept a top 10 SH%

hes shown a lot and has an incredible season but he doesnt scratch the surface on getting Hughes

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I have the Devils giving up a talented young center in Hughes, but bringing in a talented young center in Patrick + a 1st line winger in Boeser

If you want to argue the value is off, fine, but if the Devils need a talented young center, they are getting that in Patrick
if the Devils need a young center, theyll draft the far better one

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
if the Devils need a young center, theyll draft the far better one

It's not worth it to even respond to it. Hughes is the elite Center we need and goes well with Nico, which anyone and everyone knows. If we wanted Nolan Patrick, we would have taken him #1 overall.

Wish the mods would close this. No one is doing this and the proposal wasn't thought out well at all to be blunt.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
yeah i wouldnt say there is much ‘established’ yet with Pettersson considering how his goal scoring fell off a cliff and yet he still kept a top 10 SH%

hes shown a lot and has an incredible season but he doesnt scratch the surface on getting Hughes

The guy who is about to win the Calder doesn't scratch the surface on a guy without NHL experience? Good lord. #1 picks are not a sure thing. Yeah they're likely to pan out well, but there's still the Yakupov's and and Daigle's of the world. If Pettersson isn't established, then what is Hischier?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The guy who is about to win the Calder doesn't scratch the surface on a guy without NHL experience? Good lord. #1 picks are not a sure thing. Yeah they're likely to pan out well, but there's still the Yakupov's and and Daigle's of the world. If Pettersson isn't established, then what is Hischier?
when that #1 pick has out produced everyone in an entire programs history (Matthews Eichel Kane etc etc) and is currently pacing to set even more records in the tournaments pre-draft...

and I said i wouldnt use the word established - and thats for ANY player, yes that included McDavid in 2015, after one season. add onto that his sh% fluctuation and what some fans thought he might be may not. Instead of 40-50 goal potential maybe his rookie season he shot with a horseshoe and becomes a 50-60 assist man. established to me means an identity set in stone and you know what to expect, while Pettersson is amazing already we dont know what to expect yet since his rookie season was exactly that, his first year, and had some extra variables in sh%

if it was Vancouver with Hughes pick and NJ with Pettersson you aouldnt even think about it either. Plus Hughes is American being drafted by NJ, extremely marketable and tied to Shero and gang. Hes going to be a Devil

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
when that #1 pick has out produced everyone in an entire programs history (Matthews Eichel Kane etc etc) and is currently pacing to set even more records in the tournaments pre-draft...

and I said i wouldnt use the word established - and thats for ANY player, yes that included McDavid in 2015, after one season. add onto that his sh% fluctuation and what some fans thought he might be may not. Instead of 40-50 goal potential maybe his rookie season he shot with a horseshoe and becomes a 50-60 assist man. established to me means an identity set in stone and you know what to expect, while Pettersson is amazing already we dont know what to expect yet since his rookie season was exactly that, his first year, and had some extra variables in sh%

if it was Vancouver with Hughes pick and NJ with Pettersson you aouldnt even think about it either. Plus Hughes is American being drafted by NJ, extremely marketable and tied to Shero and gang. Hes going to be a Devil

Alright that's a fair assessment. I thought you meant not established, like he he hadn't proven himself as a capable NHLer. Carry on haha

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Flyers arent trading Patrick alone for Horvat + Tanev, let alone Patrick + 11th overall. Brutal.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It's not worth it to even respond to it. Hughes is the elite Center we need and goes well with Nico, which anyone and everyone knows. If we wanted Nolan Patrick, we would have taken him #1 overall.

Wish the mods would close this. No one is doing this and the proposal wasn't thought out well at all to be blunt.

You're always welcome to leave the conversation and not return

Publicly pining for the mods to lock someone else's thread and eliminate the possibility for further discussion is really quite selfish and arrogant on your part

Your opinion isn't the only one that matters

Reactions: HBK27

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
You're always welcome to leave the conversation and not return

Publicly pining for the mods to lock someone else's thread and eliminate the possibility for further discussion is really quite selfish and arrogant on your part

Your opinion isn't the only one that matters
There is no further discussion to be made. NJ is not trading the #1 draft pick. Lock this up.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Oh my God - expressing what it would take to move 1OA (which will always require an overpayment, regardless of year, player, and team) is not a statement about the included player’s value(s).

It’s merely stating the threshold you’d have to meet to get NJ to listen. It’s not an indictment on Pettersson or Boeser or whomever.

Here’s a novel idea - if you hate the cost so much, how about you stop friggin asking for the pick?
Ah okay. So asking for Hischier+1st overall for Pettersson is okay then. Because that’s what it would take to move him. I’ve never asked for the pick once. We don’t want Jack Hughes at the expense of Petey, Boeser or Horvat so stop offering them too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad