GDT: #3: Sharks 8 at FLYERS 2, Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For a guy who ignores years of data and twists stats every which way, you are aware of what a 2 game sample size is, yes? He could have a game with 80% everything next and balance it out. That happens. But yes, VandeVelde, yes. A good coach would sit Voracek. Yes.

And you should be clever enough to realize I'm making fun of the people who freaked over one bad period by Folin (he was fine the rest of the game other than a penalty that was marginal).

Though Voracek has been really, really bad the first two games, and it does make sense to shake things up, either he's injured or he's in a mental funk. If the latter, maybe G can shake him out of it.

The best lineup the Flyers could put on the ice tomorrow is:

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-Konency
Weal-Vorobyev-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-NAK

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Hagg-Myers

Myers and NAK earned their ticket back to LHV.

NAK showed nothing in preseason, clearly outplayed by both Vorobyev and Knight. And it's obvious they don't see Laughton as a center. He's not beating out Raffl right now.

Myers was OK in preseason, but nothing special, if he was a second line prospect Hextall probably would have kept him on the roster as a #6/#7 defenseman, but he didn't look NHL ready and is too valuable of an asset to rush. A few months in LHV won't hurt his development, needs to make quicker decisions in the D-zone, looked hesitant at times in preseason.

I think Hextall is considering the possibility of Myers, Morin and Friedman all on the Flyers next year (Folin is on a 1 year deal, and MacDonald and Gudas will be on their last years of their deals). So he wants to err on the side of caution and make sure they're ready to start in 2019-20.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
How bad has Voracek played? Let's just say he's well below VdV's worst!!!

UhPliOT.gif

vy4rkCF.gif

UkTiKEk.gif

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
And you should be clever enough to realize I'm making fun of the people who freaked over one bad period by Folin (he was fine the rest of the game other than a penalty that was marginal).

Though Voracek has been really, really bad the first two games, and it does make sense to shake things up, either he's injured or he's in a mental funk. If the latter, maybe G can shake him out of it.

Myers and NAK earned their ticket back to LHV.

NAK showed nothing in preseason, clearly outplayed by both Vorobyev and Knight. And it's obvious they don't see Laughton as a center. He's not beating out Raffl right now.

Myers was OK in preseason, but nothing special, if he was a second line prospect Hextall probably would have kept him on the roster as a #6/#7 defenseman, but he didn't look NHL ready and is too valuable of an asset to rush. A few months in LHV won't hurt his development, needs to make quicker decisions in the D-zone, looked hesitant at times in preseason.

I think Hextall is considering the possibility of Myers, Morin and Friedman all on the Flyers next year (Folin is on a 1 year deal, and MacDonald and Gudas will be on their last years of their deals). So he wants to err on the side of caution and make sure they're ready to start in 2019-20.
Again not sure what your watching other than stats.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek flubbing scoring opportunities, turning the puck over, failing to back check.
Have I missed anything?

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Folin is going to replace JVR.. it was planned before first game in vegas.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Voracek flubbing scoring opportunities, turning the puck over, failing to back check.
Have I missed anything?
Watched both games and saw him backchecking well. More focus at it cause the three stooges keep harping. Worst player on the ice is clearly Mac.
Flubbing scoring opportunities is lazy narrative. The line looks out of sink. And he is trying to do too much in the ozone a couple of times.
Turning the puck over. Hmmm he is a puck carrier. Going to happen doesn’t seem over the top at all. Certain not like others who are straight passing to the other team.

That line got abused in Corsica but mackinnons line. Patrick could handle his speed.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
So let’s look at facts

Rewatch the first two goal for Colorado. Patrick’s line out there.
1st Patrick got his stick lifted and lost control of the puck but fought back and it went to the corner. His mistake on loosing it but trying to recover. As the puck goes to the corner Mac falls down again and takes out an av’s player and Patrick in the corner so he can’t stay with his man who avoids it and makes his way back in front of the net for a two on one that has three shots and last goes in. Hmmm. Not voraceks fault but hey look how bad his corsi was on that play. Not really Patrick’s as he could be involved because Andy Macdonald took him and him self out of the play. Hmmm your lazy analysis is wrong again

2nd goal. 4v4 patrick with voracek. This one is easy Colin blindly spin and throws the puck off the boards to the other team and they score hmmm voracek really messed that up by not back checking??? No folin screwed up These are just two quick example of where the problems were. So on those two instances that line got f-Ed in corsi by a defender.

This is why I don’t understand what you are watching other than stats that prove a predetermined attempt to make a player fit your predetermined narrative. In wait for it a tiny sample size that means nothing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek blew numerous scoring chances, refusing to take wide open shots, forcing passes that were intercepted or disrupted.
It's the way he plays when he's in a funk, he tries to do too much, and Patrick and Lindblom aren't going to challenge him.
I think putting him back with G can get him back on line, if he screws around G will get on his case.

Corsi over two games involves something closer to 30 shifts, still a very small sample. But a lot bigger than 2 cherry picked plays in the D-zone.

Amazing how fast people jump up to justify bad play by favorites.
If you're gonna be honest, don't just slam the players you hate, admit when the players you love screw up.

Flyers are lucky to be 1-1, the defense has played badly (not just Folin and MacDonald, everyone not named Sanheim, and he's been up and down), the 2nd line is MIA, and even Vorobyev, as much as I love him, has played like, well, a 22 year old rookie.
Elliott has played good enough to keep them in games, but with JVR out, the veterans better pick up the slack.

But it's only 2 games, and that was a really rough road trip to start the season, hard to practice when you travel like that, throws off your timing and the other team is fired up at their home opener. The next three weeks aren't ideal, 6 home games with three road games sandwiched in between (Ottawa, Boston and CBJ) with just enough travel to blow 1-2 days at a time, but they should be able to get enough practices in between games to work out some of the kinks.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So let’s look at facts

Rewatch the first two goal for Colorado. Patrick’s line out there.
1st Patrick got his stick lifted and lost control of the puck but fought back and it went to the corner. His mistake on loosing it but trying to recover. As the puck goes to the corner Mac falls down again and takes out an av’s player and Patrick in the corner so he can’t stay with his man who avoids it and makes his way back in front of the net for a two on one that has three shots and last goes in. Hmmm. Not voraceks fault but hey look how bad his corsi was on that play. Not really Patrick’s as he could be involved because Andy Macdonald took him and him self out of the play. Hmmm your lazy analysis is wrong again

2nd goal. 4v4 patrick with voracek. This one is easy Colin blindly spin and throws the puck off the boards to the other team and they score hmmm voracek really messed that up by not back checking??? No folin screwed up These are just two quick example of where the problems were. So on those two instances that line got f-Ed in corsi by a defender.

This is why I don’t understand what you are watching other than stats that prove a predetermined attempt to make a player fit your predetermined narrative. In wait for it a tiny sample size that means nothing.

Stupid people say stupid shit.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Catching SJ on a back to back is nice but they got shutout today so I wouldn’t expect that to continue.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Voracek blew numerous scoring chances, refusing to take wide open shots, forcing passes that were intercepted or disrupted.
It's the way he plays when he's in a funk, he tries to do too much, and Patrick and Lindblom aren't going to challenge him.
I think putting him back with G can get him back on line, if he screws around G will get on his case.

Corsi over two games involves something closer to 30 shifts, still a very small sample. But a lot bigger than 2 cherry picked plays in the D-zone.

Amazing how fast people jump up to justify bad play by favorites.
If you're gonna be honest, don't just slam the players you hate, admit when the players you love screw up.

Flyers are lucky to be 1-1, the defense has played badly (not just Folin and MacDonald, everyone not named Sanheim, and he's been up and down), the 2nd line is MIA, and even Vorobyev, as much as I love him, has played like, well, a 22 year old rookie.
Elliott has played good enough to keep them in games, but with JVR out, the veterans better pick up the slack.

But it's only 2 games, and that was a really rough road trip to start the season, hard to practice when you travel like that, throws off your timing and the other team is fired up at their home opener. The next three weeks aren't ideal, 6 home games with three road games sandwiched in between (Ottawa, Boston and CBJ) with just enough travel to blow 1-2 days at a time, but they should be able to get enough practices in between games to work out some of the kinks.
I do. And I said he is trying to do to much. But I never see you say nice things about our best.

I used those to goals simply as context. Voracek certainly can play better but he hasn’t been as bad as you say.

I used a small sample of play because that’s what your doing two shifts that produce 5-0 shots against to shots for is huge in only 30 shifts. That stat is designed to show context over long periods of time.

It also two games where the team was badly out shot on the road. It’s two games!!!!

And I said early that I have no problem with the change as we will have last change. The coots line is going to have to do the heavy lifting again this year till our two young centers get more comfortable.

Second line has one goal 5v5. How many does the top line have??? There not Mia there aren’t flying and controlling pressure in the ozone. No one is slowing the play down on that line yet. Couple that with only one d-line able to move the puck up ice. Which also see a top of time with the first line. Causes problems.

Frankly based off the way the players have been playing I’d put hagg with sanhiem. And increase their ice time. Might help move the puck. (Probably get crucified for suggesting that).

Reactions: CNote

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My point is simply that people jump on the players they hate but ignore the players they love off a small sample on a tough road trip.

We knew MacDonald was going to start slow, he came back too quickly, still getting his legs under him. People overreacted to a bad period by Folin, but truth is all the D-men other than Sanheim and Hagg have been pretty bad. Ghost/Provorov simply shouldn't be dominated the way they've been.

Voracek was bad, and he dragged the two kids down with him instead of being the steadying influence for them.

JVR getting hurt hurts, because he was better than expected, not only attacking the net, but showing passing skills I didn't realize he had.

The good news is we're 1-1 off two tough road games, and Elliott looks far better than I think anyone expected.

Reactions: hatcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->