Speculation: 3 Possible Destinations for Byfuglien if he decides to return to the NHL: TOR, MIN, FLA

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
Not sure what happened behind closed doors, but based on the only information we've seen, the way he dragged things out with a management that was good to him throughout his stay in the peg, along with other uncertainties surrounding his health, age etc. I be hesitant bringing him here tbh.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
yeah...if people called Phil Kessel, one of the fastest players in the league in his prime, fat and out of shape all the time...what do you figure would happen with Big Buff(et)?? the mind boggles. honestly it looks like the guy had physical issues and simply didn't want to play anymore.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While I always love a reclamation project, it seems he has been dealing eith a bunch of mental health stuff in recent uears, doesnt seem like a good fit for a media market as intense as Toronto

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He is likely to come at a reduced cost. He fills a hole at RD and he brings an element of sand which makes the group tougher to play against. I imagine if he is on his game that both Buff and Muzzin would be pretty imposing for forwards coming into the Leafs zone. I hope they give him a shot.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He is likely to come at a reduced cost. He fills a hole at RD and he brings an element of sand which makes the group tougher to play against. I imagine if he is on his game that both Buff and Muzzin would be pretty imposing for forwards coming into the Leafs zone. I hope they give him a shot.
This is what I don’t get. He gave up around 15 million to turn around and sign here (or elsewhere) at a discount?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
In his prime, he would be great as a Leaf for this current team, but something seems off with him, he's a bit flakey and unpredictable. No too sure he could handle the media and fan attention he would get when it came his turn to be the latest reason why the Leafs suck.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Winnipeg isn't exactly a great destination for players. I have no idea really why he would want to do that, but he'd be a great fit if he did.
He signed the contract originally to play there.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He signed the contract originally to play there.
He got out of the situation in Winnipeg and he is now a free agent. If he wants to play somewhere else that's up to him. I have no clue what his thought process is. Other than the fact if he does, we're a great spot for him to join for a chance at a cup. The Leafs are a stand out franchise with superstars on the brink of a cup. Might not be the Leafs, but if he is still interested I think they would be the perfect spot for his skill set to bloom in.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He got out of the situation in Winnipeg and he is now a free agent. If he wants to play somewhere else that's up to him. I have no clue what his thought process is. Other than the fact if he does, we're a great spot for him to join for a chance at a cup. The Leafs are a stand out franchise with superstars on the brink of a cup. Might not be the Leafs, but if he is still interested I think they would be the perfect spot for his skill set to bloom in.
I didn’t expect that you knew his thought process. Just commenting on the situation. I was challenging your thought on it.

member 300185

NO thanks! He was slow when he quit...a year ago. People have a hard Time with diminishing stars. They think he still is one. He's not. He's big and tough, but this game is faster now with speedy forwards walking around him. He would be a liability....and expensive liability.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I pity the Golden Corral near his place.....if he's Stateside.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I have no insider info. But I've followed Byfuglien since before he broke into the league. Trust me, the guy is finished with NHL hockey.

He would have made every decision in the last year differently if there had been any chance he'd play. He had every chance to get more money or get a trade. He didn't. Because he's done.

Reactions: ACC1224

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If he retires you've got to respect that Byfuglien gave up millions of dollars rather than trying to find a way to collect it on an injury list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad