Speculation: 3 Possible Destinations for Byfuglien if he decides to return to the NHL: TOR, MIN, FLA

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Best Quote:

"Byfuglien would be nice in Toronto’s top four, but even on a value contract, the team may have to move some money around elsewhere. Would Leaf fans want Byfuglien instead of, say, Alexander Kerfoot? We’ll assume yes on the surface."

I would sign him in a heartbeat if he were interested. Even not knowing his fitness or mental state. At the top of his game he is a force, and what TOR desperately lacks.

Would you?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Code:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/three-potential-destinations-dustin-byfuglien-decides-return/

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would be curious to see Byfuglien’s defensive metrics.

Can’t deny what he brought/brings offensively or physically, but the potential foot speed (especially with over a year with no hockey) and natural age decline would have me hesitant.

It would be a gamble. Given the cap situation, might be the only way to “improve” our top 6.

Need to also factor in that it would mean one of Dermott, Sandin, or Liljegren aren’t on the roster.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Best Quote:

"Byfuglien would be nice in Toronto’s top four, but even on a value contract, the team may have to move some money around elsewhere. Would Leaf fans want Byfuglien instead of, say, Alexander Kerfoot? We’ll assume yes on the surface."

I would sign him in a heartbeat if he were interested. Even not knowing his fitness or mental state. At the top of his game he is a force, and what TOR desperately lacks.

Would you?

Buff walked away from a good team and around $10 mill. Doubt he is signing for $3.5 mill.

Reactions: hn777 and ACC1224

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
He doesn’t seem like the type of guy that enjoys the spotlight, but if he’s willing to come here at a reasonable price, I’d love to give it a shot. I really don’t see it though.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'd be shocked if he comes back at all and all the more so if he came to the Leafs. No idea where his head is at right now and if you could even count on him actually showing up to play.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Buff knows how to win and he would really help clear up da net and he has a little nasty to his game which would give another turbo boost to make us play even a little bit bigger overall.

But it all comes down to his AAV and whether he can skate at NHL level again. His conditioning and ankle are big issues to overcome. But to sign him unconditionally is likely a huge mistake. Especially when considering his quit on Jets and his tendency to think retirement.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Does he really strike you as the body type that will react favourably to 18 months off hockey in his mid 30s?

.. after a major injury to his lower body ... no .. historically a player built like him would not but then again a player built like him should not be able to play as well as he did at 35 years old.

It's a click bait article...without some major changes to our cap there is zero chance Buff comes to Toronto.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Muzzin - Byfuglein

would be an absolute terror to play against

Rielly -
Muzzin - Byfuglein
Sandin - Holl

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Buff is out of shape, has a bum ankle and can't play defense. We're lousy with defensemen that can't defend, we need to acquire one that can defend.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Buff walked away from a good team and around $10 mill. Doubt he is signing for $3.5 mill.

It was 14 mill.

However if he wants another shot, he likely can't be picky about money. What team is going to offer a guy who hasn't played hockey in 1.5 years (by the time he starts playing again) any kind of big money, especially when he had some injury issues and is 35? Nobody is going to know what they are getting with him, so it would have to be heavily incentives based and likely a low base salary.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
it sounds nice at face value, Buff of 5 years ago would be an ideal add but this reeks of potential buyers remorse to me, especially if we moved pieces out to get him to fit

Reactions: The Podium

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
it sounds nice at face value, Buff of 5 years ago would be an ideal add but this reeks of potential buyers remorse to me, especially if we moved pieces out to get him to fit

I get that.

However, considering our D core, I am willing to roll the dice.

Reactions: al secord

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I get that.

However, considering our D core, I am willing to roll the dice.
I think our D corps is a lot better than it's billed, especially now that it's finally going to be healthy.

My opinion on Buff would probably be swayed by a physical and some agility pace drills to make sure he can keep up. I think he's a serious candidate for rapid regression because of the weight issues. Prime Buff is definitely something that would definitely complete out corps.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Without knowing why he quit, the answer is no. He could quit again. We need long term, reliable help. Buff is way past his prime and even if he came back He might not last long.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Does he really strike you as the body type that will react favourably to 18 months off hockey in his mid 30s?

Even in his younger days he was known for having less than productive off seasons in terms of training. Would be a huge gamble from a physical perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad