3 Point, 6 shot, +4 night for Chekhovich - Will he get 9 games?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He would also give the same canned responses every time while being interviewed by the Sharks radio commentators during intermissions or right after the game, and they would turn to him often. As much as he was easier to understand than various Europeans who've been added to the team as of late, I don't miss listening to him one bit. What I'm saying is that if Gambrell or whichever other assorted bottom six players can have a touch of creativity in their interview responses, I'd be happy.

Banging on hockey players having canned responses is the lowest hanging fruit possible.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Banging on hockey players having canned responses is the lowest hanging fruit possible.

It's not about criticizing that player for the sake of it, it's about my (admittedly self-centered you could say) listening to the interviews and taking notes in the GDTs and occasionally shaking my head at getting nothing of real value.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
He's gone that quick? Am I reading into this wrong? I r confused.

Bummer. I knew he wouldn't make the team. But would have been good to see him stick around for another game or two. Assume Chmelevski and Merkley will be sent down soon as well.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I enjoyed the article on sjshars.com pumping Ivan...which errantly had a picture of Goodrow.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Would've been cool if he made the team but no harm in going back to juniors. If he keeps this development curve up, he'll make them make room for him.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
maybe they found out what they need to know and dont want to risk any injury or stuff.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It's one game. Might want to pump the brakes a little. :) Honestly there is little chance he makes the roster unless he has one of the greatest pre-seasons in history. They're going to stash him away in Juniors for the future as either another late round gem or trade bait. If he could play center he might have a real shot but no way does a winger that far down the depth chart crack the starting lineup. I think they want to hit the ground running this season and try and put the Pacific away as early in the season as possible. Think Vegas' start last year. That's their goal. It is great to see some real talent in the prospect pool though. It'll be interesting to see if the Sharks typically low rated prospect pool gets a better evaluation after preseason. Watching the practice today and the game last night it seems that they have quite a few guys who could pan out.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Honestly, every time I watch him play, I have Mike Brown flashbacks, except Brown at least gave the illusion of effectiveness. Gambrell skates well and is fast with the puck, however, there is nothing else about his game that seems NHL ready to me. With his size and skill, I want him to be a possession beast. Sadly, that's not his game.

Just my take, but most of the young forwards played the same game. Fast and skilled in the transition game. Guessing we will see the Barracuda shuttle all year. Chartier is my first choice for 4th line center. He' quick and seems effective in all three zones.

On Chekhovich, I wonder if the org explores sending him to Europe. I know numbers were not great in Q, but every game I see him at the pro level he manages to be effective.

I think Radil is the 13th forward. Let him sit and let the young guys play in the minors.

Might want to give him more than 3 games as a pro to figure it all out. Age will help him get stronger. He needs to play in the minors for a while but he looks like the beginnings of a useful player to me.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Right now, Gambrell is Goldobin without the speed or high-end skill. Gambrell never touches the puck because he’s so damn lackadaisical. Just sort of skates in circles and watches the play. At least Goldobin made stuff happen.

Unless we see a huge improvement, I’m not sure Gambrell is ever a regular NHLer.

Weird I didn't think he looked that slow. I'll watch again if he plays in another game.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Off-topic, but not sure why you are saying Sorenson was invisible. He looked great to me. Strong on the forecheck. Going hard to the net. Speed was very evident and generated several scoring chances. I think Gambrell was the invisible one on that line.

Also PDB had very positive things to say about his camp so far. Don't see Sorenson in the AHL out of camp.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Bummer. I knew he wouldn't make the team. But would have been good to see him stick around for another game or two. Assume Chmelevski and Merkley will be sent down soon as well.

Gotta trim the roster fast and it's a mostly veteran team with really only spots for centers. Send him down with confidence at it's highest so maybe he turns that into his best year in junior.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
I wish he got a few more games. He seems to be one of those players who is in the right place at the right time and already showed he can hang at the AHL level. Hope he torches the Q this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad