3 Point, 6 shot, +4 night for Chekhovich - Will he get 9 games?

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
Hi all,

I've been a big Chekhovich fan ever since he fell to the 7th round. After watching that first pre-season game against the Ducks, I can't help but think Chekhovich could at least get a few regular season games - especially after the 9 points in 6 ahl regular season games at the tail end of the year.

What are your thoughts on him possibly sneaking into a top 9 role for the first few games? Does he have a chance to stick long term this year?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think if he can get similar performances in atleast another pre-season game, he will probably get a chance to play a few regular season games. Where though, is a big question.

For Chekhovich to play on the top-9, one of Meier, Suomela or Labanc playing on the 4th line. Its possible, but highly doubtful. Might have been a real option if he was a 'C' and outplayed Suomela for the 3C spot.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I think if Sorenson stays as invisible as he was in the first game, Chekhovich continues to shine, and Deboer does not force Melker into the lineup, he could get a chance on the 4th line.

Very little chance he gets into the top 9, it’s pretty set in terms of who will be in it.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Let's say Chekhovich and Chmelevski or any of the new Cuda kids have good years and continue to play well , would you consider letting players like Donskoi/Goodrow/Sorenson walk?

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
Let's say Chekhovich and Chmelevski or any of the new Cuda kids have good years and continue to play well , would you consider letting players like Donskoi/Goodrow/Sorenson walk?
I'd let Goodrow and Sorensen walk. Donskoi I'd keep.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It depends on how they all do too. If Donskoi's chemistry with Suomela is so good that it fixes our 3C hole then I'd keep him. The others are replaceable but likely cheap as well so it just depends on who is the best of the group. But definitely look to move Melker Karlsson either way because 2 mil for 4th line duties is too much with the wingers knocking on the door of a roster spot and they're going to need that money if they re-sign Karlsson to even just Doughty money at 11 mil.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I would say yes. Anything we can do to clear up cap space for next year would be a good idea. Anyway I look at it we will be tight up against the cap if we are able to resign Karlsson. Which we absolutely must do.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I think if Sorenson stays as invisible as he was in the first game, Chekhovich continues to shine, and Deboer does not force Melker into the lineup, he could get a chance on the 4th line.

Very little chance he gets into the top 9, it’s pretty set in terms of who will be in it.

Off-topic, but not sure why you are saying Sorenson was invisible. He looked great to me. Strong on the forecheck. Going hard to the net. Speed was very evident and generated several scoring chances. I think Gambrell was the invisible one on that line.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I think if he can get similar performances in atleast another pre-season game, he will probably get a chance to play a few regular season games. Where though, is a big question.

For Chekhovich to play on the top-9, one of Meier, Suomela or Labanc playing on the 4th line. Its possible, but highly doubtful. Might have been a real option if he was a 'C' and outplayed Suomela for the 3C spot.

He is a natural center though isn't he?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Off-topic, but not sure why you are saying Sorenson was invisible. He looked great to me. Strong on the forecheck. Going hard to the net. Speed was very evident and generated several scoring chances. I think Gambrell was the invisible one on that line.

He did any of that? At one point I literally asked myself if he had been injured because I had not seen him for like a whole period.

In his defense, and mine too I guess, I was at work while watching, so I did have to do some work periodically during the game. So maybe he did all that stuff in the short periods of time I wasn’t watching.

Gambrell unfortunately was noticeable to me, and he was noticeable because he was playing poorly.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don’t think that Gambrelll has the speed and urgency to play at the NHL level and be a difference maker. This has always been my fear with him. He’s never stood out to me even in this NCAA. He’s just not a puck-hound.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don’t think that Gambrelll has the speed and urgency to play at the NHL level and be a difference maker. This has always been my fear with him. He’s never stood out to me even in this NCAA. He’s just not a puck-hound.
Yeah, I watched him with Denver some and then last night and he’s not battling for possession or making plays on the wall. That’s all well and good if you’re making plays in other parts of the ice, but he’s just floating. He definitely needs some time in the AHL. He has to want the puck more. I thought Letunov looked much, much better than Gambrell.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, I watched him with Denver some and then last night and he’s not battling for possession or making plays on the wall. That’s all well and good if you’re making plays in other parts of the ice, but he’s just floating. He definitely needs some time in the AHL. He has to want the puck more. I thought Letunov looked much, much better than Gambrell.

Right now, Gambrell is Goldobin without the speed or high-end skill. Gambrell never touches the puck because he’s so damn lackadaisical. Just sort of skates in circles and watches the play. At least Goldobin made stuff happen.

Unless we see a huge improvement, I’m not sure Gambrell is ever a regular NHLer.

Reactions: Lebanezer

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
I would say yes. Anything we can do to clear up cap space for next year would be a good idea. Anyway I look at it we will be tight up against the cap if we are able to resign Karlsson. Which we absolutely must do.
Between now and this summer, trade both Dillon and Braun. 7mil freed up.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
If Suomela doesn't lock down the 3C role, I think Braun is gone. He provided amazing defensive depth and would be part of what on paper may be one of the best bottom pairings in the league, but we dont need to pay what he makes for 10-12 mins/night.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Right now, Gambrell is Goldobin without the speed or high-end skill. Gambrell never touches the puck because he’s so damn lackadaisical. Just sort of skates in circles and watches the play. At least Goldobin made stuff happen.

Unless we see a huge improvement, I’m not sure Gambrell is ever a regular NHLer.

Honestly, every time I watch him play, I have Mike Brown flashbacks, except Brown at least gave the illusion of effectiveness. Gambrell skates well and is fast with the puck, however, there is nothing else about his game that seems NHL ready to me. With his size and skill, I want him to be a possession beast. Sadly, that's not his game.

Just my take, but most of the young forwards played the same game. Fast and skilled in the transition game. Guessing we will see the Barracuda shuttle all year. Chartier is my first choice for 4th line center. He' quick and seems effective in all three zones.

On Chekhovich, I wonder if the org explores sending him to Europe. I know numbers were not great in Q, but every game I see him at the pro level he manages to be effective.

I think Radil is the 13th forward. Let him sit and let the young guys play in the minors.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Honestly, every time I watch him play, I have Mike Brown flashbacks, except Brown at least gave the illusion of effectiveness. Gambrell skates well and is fast with the puck, however, there is nothing else about his game that seems NHL ready to me. With his size and skill, I want him to be a possession beast. Sadly, that's not his game.

Just my take, but most of the young forwards played the same game. Fast and skilled in the transition game. Guessing we will see the Barracuda shuttle all year. Chartier is my first choice for 4th line center. He' quick and seems effective in all three zones.

On Chekhovich, I wonder if the org explores sending him to Europe. I know numbers were not great in Q, but every game I see him at the pro level he manages to be effective.

I think Radil is the 13th forward. Let him sit and let the young guys play in the minors.

Nah, Mike Brown was a puck-chaser to the core. He wasn’t very good at it but he put in the effort.

I’d rather Chartier than Gambrell for 4C from what I’ve seen so far as well.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
At least Brownie would run people over.

He would also give the same canned responses every time while being interviewed by the Sharks radio commentators during intermissions or right after the game, and they would turn to him often. As much as he was easier to understand than various Europeans who've been added to the team as of late, I don't miss listening to him one bit. What I'm saying is that if Gambrell or whichever other assorted bottom six players can have a touch of creativity in their interview responses, I'd be happy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad