GDT: #3| Phoenix Coyotes vs. New York Islanders | October 8 | 7PM | F/1-6 W

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Islanders have more wins than the Rangers, Devils, and Giants combined.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Their entry into the zone sucks because it seems like their not sure what they want to do. Okposo likes to dump it in and work down low, but doesn't really work on Tavares' and Moulson's line. Also, when he took the puck to the outside went behind the net, their was no one cycling for him, they were just standing in front of the net waiting for a pass. Last night there were numerous times where Okposo had the puck deep along the boards, and Tavares and Moulson were just standing there waiting for the puck not moving and obviously not open. Some people watch the game and think it's Okposo's fault that he loses the puck, but I disagree. If none of the forwards are open you usually pass the puck behind the net or get it to the point.

Their entry into the zone would be better with Bailey especially at RW because he can skate up the right side, stop and look for a defenseman coming in with speed. He's also a better passer and seems like a much better fit than Okposo.

Watching the game last night and you could see the big difference between the 1st and 2nd line. One line was very efficient with their passing, getting into the zone, and great on the forecheck. The other line wasn't. To get a good forecheck going, it can't be just one guy doing all the work.

People blame Okposo for turnovers, but don't blame Tavares for turnovers. He had 3 bad turnovers where he could have easily passed the puck, but tried to get fancy.

Tavares does turn the puck over a lot, because he's trying to make plays out there. Get used to it. Completely agree about their zone entry though.

I don't like the make-up of the lines and I know most on this board would agree. But I see a lot of good things from Okposo and maybe in time that line will gel more. I would have Bailey-Tavares together permanently, I think those two complement one another perfectly and they'd be deadly in the offensive zone and any one of Nelson, Clutterbuck, McDonald, Martin or even Okposo/Moulson could work on the other wing. But even as they are currently constructed, this is a good Isles team.

Not for nothing but PMB looks extremely frail.
Frail and scared. He skated better yesterday but still doesn't seem to fit this team. He's a perimeter player who rarely has the puck. He's worse than Boyes was last year (though Boyes had the benefit of top six minutes with JT)

Reinhart staying was about getting him exposure and living in an NHL speed environment for a prolonged period of time. His time will come, don't you worry.

capuano alluded to that in Staple's Newsday column yesterday

That could mean the end of Griffin Reinhart's stay with the Isles. The 19-year-old defenseman earned a look out of training camp and the clock has yet to start on the nine-game window the Isles have before they burn a year of Reinhart's contract, but practicing, sitting and watching has its limits. Reinhart may be destined to return to Edmonton of the Western League. "We don't really have a timetable for Griffin," Capuano said. "As long as he's here, learning the pace of how we practice and what we do, we think it's beneficial for him."

sounds like a guy who'll watch, practice and go back to junior once Cal is ready (i.e. over the next day or so)

DOES ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT THE SECOND LINE IS ALWAYS LOOKING GOOD, NO MATTER WHO IS PAIRED WITH FRANS NEILSEN?!?!?!?!?!

Been saying that for years! Nielsen is the type of player who can play with anyone, in any situation, and play well. He's a coach's dream. His stats are pretty good, I've never seen him as an offensive threat and agree that he's not anyone's prototype for a #2 or a #3 centre. Most teams aren't really equipped with Forsberg-Sakic, Yzerman-Fedorov or Crosby-Malkin and Fransie is simply effective, no matter what you label him.

He's got hockey sense, great vision and incredibly smart AND quick (quick hands, quick feet, quick decisions) and although he's very small, he's surprisingly strong on the puck for someone who probably doesn't weigh 160lbs (I don't care what the weigh-ins say!)

Contrast Nielsen with Moulson, for example. Where Moulson's good at just ONE thing, terrible at everything else, Nielsen is "very good" at every part of the game.

As an aside, I liked Moulson's play yesterday. Strong game from him. I've been picking on him like crazy since last year but the removal of Boyes on the team has made a huge difference. Though, PMB is the new Boyes, except he's not on the top line. whew!

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The Yotes played way too much on to the outside last night. They didn't want to get to the dirty areas like Columbus did. Teams are going to realize that to beat the Islanders they are going to have to crash the net and force our small D to move them. We have a good skating D that can skate with anyone but we lack the size to battle big forwards in the slot. We will beat most teams if we can keep the scorers out of the slot area.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
I would have Bailey-Tavares together permanently, I think those two complement one another perfectly and they'd be deadly in the offensive zone and any one of Nelson, Clutterbuck, McDonald, Martin or even Okposo/Moulson could work on the other wing.

100%. I said it all offseason and continue to feel Bailey is the best fit with Tavares on the team. Whoever is on the other wing is holding a spot for Strome. To me, Bailey-JT-Strome is their 1st line of the future. I personally would keep Mouslon in his LW spot now and Bailey on RW. My lines:

Moulson-JT-Bailey
Grabner-Nielson-Okposo
Nelson-Regin-Clutterbuck
Martin-CC-McDonald

PAB, Bolton

If Strome comes up at some point this year:

Bailey-JT-Strome
Moulson-Nielson-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-Clutterbuck (love what this line could bring)
Martin-CC-McDonald

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
i love nielsen.....after JT and Hamonic, i think he is the biggest piece of our core

as redbull has said, it is very difficult to find someone who is good at EVERY facet of the game....he is a player you have to have on a championship team....i want him locked up LONG TERM

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Tavares does turn the puck over a lot, because he's trying to make plays out there. Get used to it. Completely agree about their zone entry though.

I don't like the make-up of the lines and I know most on this board would agree. But I see a lot of good things from Okposo and maybe in time that line will gel more. I would have Bailey-Tavares together permanently, I think those two complement one another perfectly and they'd be deadly in the offensive zone and any one of Nelson, Clutterbuck, McDonald, Martin or even Okposo/Moulson could work on the other wing. But even as they are currently constructed, this is a good Isles team.

I get that, but I'm talking about when he has 2 guys on him and can easily get rid of the puck. He did that yesterday in the neutral zone and the Coyotes stole the puck from him and were in our zone for a long time. If he's going into the offensive zone and tries to make a move, but the defenseman makes a nice play and gets the puck, that's different.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The Yotes played way too much on to the outside last night. They didn't want to get to the dirty areas like Columbus did. Teams are going to realize that to beat the Islanders they are going to have to crash the net and force our small D to move them. We have a good skating D that can skate with anyone but we lack the size to battle big forwards in the slot. We will beat most teams if we can keep the scorers out of the slot area.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking along the lines of this last night too.

goalsniper

Mar 11, 2011
Ok, same old crap... it seems they've started the season playing exceptionally well. Lets see what happens in November..it's right around the corner.

Will they persevere and finally get through the annual November slump or will it be the same old story? Only reason they didn't have that slump last year was because they didn't play games in November...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Their entry into the zone sucks because it seems like their not sure what they want to do. Okposo likes to dump it in and work down low, but doesn't really work on Tavares' and Moulson's line. Also, when he took the puck to the outside went behind the net, their was no one cycling for him, they were just standing in front of the net waiting for a pass. Last night there were numerous times where Okposo had the puck deep along the boards, and Tavares and Moulson were just standing there waiting for the puck not moving and obviously not open. Some people watch the game and think it's Okposo's fault that he loses the puck, but I disagree. If none of the forwards are open you usually pass the puck behind the net or get it to the point.

People blame Okposo for turnovers, but don't blame Tavares for turnovers. He had 3 bad turnovers where he could have easily passed the puck, but tried to get fancy.

I don't mind if he tries to cycle it and turns it over, because I'd rather have a turnover deep than up at the point. I've watched him over the years do moves at the blue line when entering the zone and turning it over like crazy (not necessarily last night).

When Okposo goes behind the net, it's almost like he's looking for the perfect pass each time. Many times I'd argue that a play is available, he just doesn't see it or feel comfortable attempting it...which wouldn't be a big deal, if he wasn't on the top line.

JT turns the puck over a bit, but he also does a lot more right than Okposo does and carries it more. I don't like that whoever seems to play with him, other than Bailey, look to him like a safety blanket. He'd be more effective if his line would stop looking for him on every entry into the zone.

On another note, watching Moulson try and 'battle' on the boards is painful. I know some 12 year old kids who have more snarl than him.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Let me add my $.02 worth, which is all that this is worth. Bailey looks big. As Rex Ryan would say, I think his **** dropped. If he can combine his hockey sense with the ability to push people around, he'll be a consistent threat. Let's see if he can keep it up.

Another cents worth: Hickey is wrestler-strong (the real sport).

A half a cent: Hamonic and Okposo look like the same puck-flubbing guy out there. Make like Grabner and lose the slow start.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Nielsen play with JT & Bailey? I know it would confuse things below but I think that could be as dynamic a 1st line as we can come up with. It leaves PMB without a spot, and I'm fine with that.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Nielsen play with JT & Bailey? I know it would confuse things below but I think that could be as dynamic a 1st line as we can come up with. It leaves PMB without a spot, and I'm fine with that.

Nielsen is most effective in the center spot, gives him ample opportunity to use that speed of his to break up and create plays. That also leaves a gaping hole at the number 2 slot. Give KO another few games to see if they can re-generate any chemistry, if not, go w/ Bailey. Honestly, I'd like to see PMB given an ample shot on that top line. He certainly hasn't played in any way shape or form to earn that chance (he plays small, timidly, 0 confidence), I know, but now is the time to experiment. He's miscast as a bottom-6'er.

Interesting game last night. NYI didn't play their best, not nearly; disjointed and at times lackadaisical, but they still won by 5 goals. Is that a sign of a very good team? A team that can have an 'off night' and still win by 5.

Friday will be a test.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

Nope..have mentioned it for a while now. Nielsen is perfect...ok, he doesn't have size, but he will take a huge load off of JT and open space for MM as well.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Not many teams fire on all cylinders right out of the gate. Let's just be happy we have enough going to keep us ahead. Every player has ups and downs. Just got to keep it all even and hope they all turn it up when we need them to. Long season here boys.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Bailey, yes. I think Nielsen is too important to the 2nd line though. Keep him with Grabner and stick Okposo on that line. They've had success together in the past. Moulson can then stick with the two high-end playmakers and plant his carcass in front of the net permanently.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Chances are that if you ask ANYONE in the locker room or on the coaching staff how important THEY feel Nielsen is to this NYI puzzle, you'd find there's an incredible amount of respect for and importance placed on him.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

I would prefer to have Neilson spell out the gameplan on line 2 - defense, ability to rush up and stay in the offensive zone and score. Neilson would be so much better if Okposo and Bailey both woke up.

Who compliments Tavares best? I liked PAP, but that ship sailed. Moulson is great with JT for offense, no question.....so someone who can control the puck, play a defensive game and offer protection? I'll take Clutterbuck's elbow and shoulder and if need be fists over Neilson's tomahawk chop.

I only like Franz with JT on special teams, in other words, and PMB is our annual Houdini thus far. TRUST ME....when Clutterbuck gets back and takes that odd shift with JT and MM, he'll cement himself into the role to many here......acknowledging that some here will never like a physical winger on line 1 due to personal bias {never saw Gilles with 22 and 19}.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
....when Clutterbuck gets back and takes that odd shift with JT and MM, he'll cement himself into the role to many here...

I am very curious what will come of that. It is the NHL, not a developmental league against kids, but still the history is there and the numbers can't all be a mirage.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I would prefer to have Neilson spell out the gameplan on line 2 - defense, ability to rush up and stay in the offensive zone and score. Neilson would be so much better if Okposo and Bailey both woke up.

Who compliments Tavares best? I liked PAP, but that ship sailed. Moulson is great with JT for offense, no question.....so someone who can control the puck, play a defensive game and offer protection? I'll take Clutterbuck's elbow and shoulder and if need be fists over Neilson's tomahawk chop.

I only like Franz with JT on special teams, in other words, and PMB is our annual Houdini thus far. TRUST ME....when Clutterbuck gets back and takes that odd shift with JT and MM, he'll cement himself into the role to many here......acknowledging that some here will never like a physical winger on line 1 due to personal bias {never saw Gilles with 22 and 19}.

I'm not opposed to Clutter on that line but I do wish we had a playmaker for JT on the line. We should never have let PA go if we werent going to promote Strome or Nino to that line within 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad